Garmin remote antenna

Old December 17th 05, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Garmin remote antenna

Hi All!

There are some interesting threads in some other pilot groups about
these antennas...

Apparently, (I do not have one) garmin has a MAGNET in the base of the
antenna (for holding it in place in a vehicle) that they ship with the
396.. (!)

Slight issue with mounting it with velcro on top of your panel.

Some guys are trying to get the magnets out of the base for obvious
reasons, and Garmin dosen't seem to think there is a problem..

YMMV...

Just a heads up...

Dave
Old December 17th 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yep. Putting on the glare sheild definitely doesn't work. I'm lucky in
the Maule - I have a couple of zippers in the headliner that gives me
access to fuselage tubing. There's a nice crotch that clears the
control cables, it's secure, and get excellent exposure to the sky thru
the fabric covering.

They include an extension cord for the attenna which allows you to mount
it pretty far away from the panel (luggage area). The challenge seems
to be finding a mount that clears obstructions. Throwing it on the
floor in my luggage area didn't work.

Old December 17th 05, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dave wrote:
Apparently, (I do not have one) garmin has a MAGNET in the base of the
antenna (for holding it in place in a vehicle) that they ship with the
396.. (!)

The Gilsson (www.gilsson.com) external antennas work fine with Garmin
GPS receivers and sell for about $20 at:
http://stores.ebay.com/GPSgeek
These also have a magnetic mounting, but the magnets are easily
removable.

Old December 18th 05, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"peter" wrote:

Apparently, (I do not have one) garmin has a MAGNET in the base of
the
antenna (for holding it in place in a vehicle) that they ship with
the
396.. (!)

The Gilsson (www.gilsson.com) external antennas work fine with Garmin
GPS receivers and sell for about $20 at:

The OP is probably refering to the XM antenna, for which there is no
substitute. Some owners have apparently successfully removed the
magnets, though it is difficult to do and Garmin warns doing it will
void the warranty.

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Piloting 10 March 23rd 05 01:16 AM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
Garmin Emap Handheld GPS w/ Remote Antenna AND Data Transfer Cable Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 October 1st 03 02:06 AM
Remote antenna for Magellan Skystar wanted Dave Owning 0 September 7th 03 08:49 PM