Speaking of landing on the freeway

Old October 29th 05, 02:34 PM
Peter R.

Default Speaking of landing on the freeway

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

He's on the
airport commission (only active pilot) and was instrumental in trying to
have several planes evicted over the manditory insurance rule instituted
nearly a year ago now.

A good case for the belief in karma.

--
Peter

Old October 29th 05, 06:40 PM
Private

"Peter R." wrote in message
Darrel Toepfer wrote:

He's on the
airport commission (only active pilot) and was instrumental in trying to
have several planes evicted over the manditory insurance rule instituted
nearly a year ago now.

A good case for the belief in karma.

--
Peter

I agree. What goes around, comes around.

Since we can now assume that this pilot had insurance, it will be
interesting to see how his insurance company feels about willful negligence.

While an EMERGENCY landing on a public road is not illegal, I have always
thought that the practical consequence would be that the police would impose
a non- judicial penalty by requiring removal of the wings and trucking to an
airport. "There is no such thing as an emergency takeoff." This raises the
question whether this pilot had received a "clearance to takeoff".

Happy landings,

Old October 29th 05, 07:47 PM
Stubby

While an EMERGENCY landing on a public road is not illegal,

That's what the FAA would say. Local authorities may have a different
idea. I believe it is CT that doesn't permit aircraft to land on public
property. Even in a balloon, we have to worry about tresspassing and
always get the land owner's permission ASAP. Applying the traditional
bottle of champagne minimizes gripes, also.

Once we found ourselves in a 20 kt wind, which is really moving. We
were low on fuel and had to get it down. The very experienced PIC
decided to use the drop line to catch a tree limb to stop the forward
motion so we could let it down in the only yard big enough. We had to
fight the wind and the dropline was jammed in the trees. Neighbors were
panicking and calling police and fire even though all we needed is a
little time to free the balloon. About 10' AGL the line slipped through
my hands -- no knot in the end as a line on a sailboat! So a quick rip
landing got us down. This left us dealing with the police. "Are you
guys legal? This can't be right. You must be breaking some law!" By
then the crew had taken a pix of the owner in the basket with the wine.

So it was an "Emergency" (actually several of them). The FAA would not
have complained, but the local police were all set for action.
Old October 29th 05, 08:27 PM
Newps

Peter R. wrote:
Newps wrote:

Bull****. It costs me less to insure my Bonanza for 6 seats than it
would to insure a 206 with 4 seats. Exact same hull value.

I have the fifth and sixth seat for my Bonanza but I haven't yet installed
them because of fear of a large insurance increase (a rumor perpetuated by
the previous owner). Also, there wasn't really a need until this year, now
that the surprise third child is eight months old and ready to fly.

I have no intention of using my fifth and sixth seats either. However
Avemco never asked about seats and I simply forgot to ask if it was
cheaper to just insure for four. So unless you already have a policy
that only insures four seats then go ahead and install your back seats.
Old October 29th 05, 08:31 PM
Newps

Private wrote:

Since we can now assume that this pilot had insurance, it will be
interesting to see how his insurance company feels about willful negligence.

Insurance companies cover stupidity, that's their main reason for being
there.

While an EMERGENCY landing on a public road is not illegal, I have always
thought that the practical consequence would be that the police would impose
a non- judicial penalty by requiring removal of the wings and trucking to an
airport. "There is no such thing as an emergency takeoff." This raises the
question whether this pilot had received a "clearance to takeoff".

What are you talking about? There was no emergency takeoff. There is
no requirement that the airplane be operated only from airports. As for
impounding a plane, why would the police do that? In many states it's
quite legal to use the road to land. It's a state issue on non federal
roads. The pilot needs no clearance for takeoff from a public road.
Old October 29th 05, 10:27 PM
Private

"Newps" wrote in message
snip
What are you talking about? There was no emergency takeoff. There is no
requirement that the airplane be operated only from airports. As for
impounding a plane, why would the police do that? In many states it's
quite legal to use the road to land. It's a state issue on non federal
roads. The pilot needs no clearance for takeoff from a public road.

I stand corrected that my information does not apply universally.

AFAIK permission to takeoff is required in most if not all of Canada as the
aircraft is not properly licensed, or insured?, or approved (as required by
motor vehicle/highway traffic act) for use on public roads. AFAIK operation
would require a temporary license/permit as would an ATV or snowmobile or
other off road or construction equipment.. This permission can be granted
or withheld at the discretion of the police who are usually required to
close the road and control traffic. Lately the police are requiring that
traffic control be performed by trained and approved safety contractors as
used by construction, accident recovery and towing companies.

You are also correct that the police would not order that the aircraft be
trucked to an airport but would rather order that the aircraft be removed to
private property, (where a takeoff could be made if desired). I am not
suggesting that the police would impound the aircraft unless it was
abandoned and impeding traffic.

Happy landings,

Old October 30th 05, 02:26 AM
George Patterson

Private wrote:

While an EMERGENCY landing on a public road is not illegal, I have always
thought that the practical consequence would be that the police would impose
a non- judicial penalty by requiring removal of the wings and trucking to an
airport.

The laws vary wildly from State to State, but the police can't "impose a
non-judicial penalty" in any of them.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.