Jeppesen Charts missing names?

Old June 27th 04, 05:46 AM
Louis L. Perley III

Default Jeppesen Charts missing names?

I was flying into KSNY (Sidney, NE) after shooting an approach into KAKO
(Akron, CO) and requested the VOR DME Rwy 12 approach. I told center that I
wanted to do the full approach complete with the DME arc, as I needed
practice with these (currently an instrument student). The controller
cleared me direct to OGJUN. Problem is on the Jeppesen chart the DME arc
shows an IAF for the arc on either the 220 and 040 radials from the VOR with
a DME distance of 10 nm but neither is labeled with any sort of name.
Thankfully my instructor had the other type of approach plate with him and
that has the names labeled so I knew which one to fly to (I could have asked
the controller I guess). So my question is, why doesn't the Jeppesen chart
have the IAFs on the respective arcs labeled with the names? I thought
Jeppesen charts had all the same information that the others did, just a
different overall format?

--
Louis L. Perley III
N46000

Old June 27th 04, 12:12 PM

"Louis L. Perley III" wrote:

[...]

You should pose your question to Jeppesen tech support.

What *appears* to have happened is that Jeppesen elected to remove those fixes
when the standalong RNAV approaches for Runways 12 and 30 became effective last
year, and the GPS overlay authorization was removed from the VOR/DME 12 IAP.

But, those fixes are still authorized for GPS transition onto the approach,
although you can no longer use GPS for the final approach segment.

Seems to me like Jeppesen screwed up removing them, based on the false
assumption that GPS can no longer be used to fly the ARC initial segments
because it's no longer an overlay approach.

When you call them, you might point out that ATC is still using those fixes for
/G aircraft. I presume you were /G?

Old June 29th 04, 09:55 AM
Markus

Louis,

my apologies in case my answer might not be correct - I don't hold an
IFR rating.

However, my impression of the NACO chart is that the OGJUN fix
is not an actual fix but rather a Computer Navigation Fix (CNF)
which happens to be named OGJUN on the NACO chart but D040J in
the Jeppesen Electronic Databases. This is also indicated by the
small 'x' on the NACO chart. So, if R-040/10 DME is indeed a CNF,
is it correct that the (NACO) CNF name should not be used in ATC
communication? I wonder why the controller used the name OGJUN in
his communication then.

Consequently, the Jeppesen chart would be correct because there
is no official name for this waypoint but only 'electronic' data-
base names - which are different between Jeppesen and NACO.

Markus
Old June 29th 04, 05:06 PM

"Louis L. Perley III" wrote:

[...]

Following is the FAA description for fixes at KSNY. NACO is correct in charting
them. Jeppesen is not correct if they are still using internally generated
CNFs. You are also correct that ATC should not be using CNFs in clearances, but
water tends to flow in that direction, so to speak. CNFs do not have to be
pronouncable for that reason. Try saying CFDKO. ;-)

SIDNEY, NE 26109
SIDNEY MUNI / LLOYD W. CARR FLD (SNY)
86043

0
NAVIGATIONAL AIDS
46939

0
SNY 41 05 48.0 N 102 58 58.8 W -13 04300 VORTAC
91753

0
TERMINAL INSTRUMENT FIXES
74627