Price for PA28-180

Old November 4th 04, 01:26 AM
Billy

Default Price for PA28-180

What do you think a reasonable price for the following would be.

PA28-180B (1963)
3700 tt
1880 smoh (runs fine with compression in mid or high 70's I believe)
800 stoh
mk-12D
ADF
Average Interior (maybe 5 or 6) serviceable but nothing great
Paint flaking off in many places. Will need to be repainted.
there are a few skins (left and right flaps and left stabilator/elevator)
that have either dents or small patches, and would therefore need to be
reskinned before painting.

Can you give me a rough ball park of what this would be worth? I know a lot
of Cherokee 180's sell in the $35-$40k range, but with both high time and a
need of a repaint and some other exterior cosmetic work, I don't know what
that does for the value.

Thanks

Billy

Old November 4th 04, 01:27 PM
Dave Butler

http://www.aeroprice.com Spend $20 or so for their one-time, email-based evaluation.

Old November 4th 04, 01:43 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:26:44 -0600, "Billy" wrote:

[...]

It is hard to price a plane without seeing it, but this one sounds
like it will be on the low end of the Cherokee price range.

1. Engine is close to TBO
2. Lacks updated radios
3. Needs paint badly
4. Needs reskinning & body work
5. Average interior
6. It is an early model 180.

Think what it will take to make this plane a 'cherry'.
1. $15k overhaul
2. $10k panel revisit (this is probably low)
3 & 4. Reskinning control surfaces is time consuming, and the skins
aren't cheap. Throw that in with a paint job, and you would be
looking at least $10k.
5. $5k to replace the interior
$40k to update the plane

It is probably worth between $30-35k, but will cost about $40k to turn
it into a $60k airplane.

-Nathan

Old November 4th 04, 02:59 PM

Nathan Young wrote:
: It is probably worth between $30-35k, but will cost about $40k to turn
: it into a $60k airplane.

A very typical bit of airplane math. I know a guy with a C-150 he just
upgraded. Had to do some skin work, completely redid the panel (with twin G-430's),
new interior, and paint job.

Before upgrades: 20k
Skin work: 5k
Panel rework: 2k
Avionics: 15k
Paint job: 8k
___________________________
Total: $50k
New Value: $25k

For that 180, I'd concur with the opinions you've gotten so far. It's got a
bit of panel, but not much. A '63 has the shotgun-blast instrument panel, fuses,
ancient AN gyros (unless upgraded). Although it's a 180, it's on the low-end of the
180 spectrum, which I'd agree puts it in the $30-35k range. You can find an awfully
decent 180 for $45 or so.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old November 4th 04, 03:09 PM
OtisWinslow

You're always money ahead by buying a plane someone else
has already upgraded and put the money into that meets your
needs. You seldom come out on a project plane.

Old November 4th 04, 10:08 PM
John Galban

"Billy" wrote in message ...
[...]

It's one of the oldest models of the -180, so that'll put the
starting point on the lower end of the scale. The engine is a near
runout (for pricing purposes), which keeps it at the low end of the
scale. Bad paint and average interior don't help. Generally
speaking, the plane you're looking at should be priced close to the
bottom end of airworthy -180s. From what I've seen lately, that would
be in the mid-30K range.

Early -180s with low to mid-time engines and average paint and
interiors don't seem to be selling below $40K these days.

Just one guy's opinion,

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old November 4th 04, 10:24 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "OtisWinslow"
wrote:

You're always money ahead by buying a plane someone else
has already upgraded and put the money into that meets your
needs. You seldom come out on a project plane.

true.

However, I really really enjoyed doing a lot of the grunt work
and supporting research when I had my 140 overhauled. Everything
firewall forward was removed and overhauled or replaced with new.
(ok, I didn't overhaul the cowling). From a strict dollar viewpoint,
I spent a lot of money that I won't get back when I sell the 140. But
I really really enjoyed it.

--
Bob Noel
Seen on Kerry's campaign airplane: "the real deal"
Old November 4th 04, 11:27 PM
John Galban

"Billy" wrote in message ...
Will need to be repainted.
there are a few skins (left and right flaps and left stabilator/elevator)
that have either dents or small patches, and would therefore need to be
reskinned before painting.

I forgot to add this to my other post. Check with an IA about skin
patches applied to balanced control surfaces. I think that is not an
approved repair.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180) - Sporting a puke-green recently
re-skinned rudder that couldn't be patched.
Old November 5th 04, 02:00 AM
BTIZ

Twin G-430s in a C-150?? that is double over kill... sure.. G-430s are nice
to have.. and it does replace an ancient radio.. but in a C-onefiveoh?
better to save those sheckles for a 150HP engine upgrade..

jmho
BT