Adapting medical cannulas to work with an EDS?

Old June 23rd 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill G

Default Adapting medical cannulas to work with an EDS?

Has anyone figured this out? I want to be able to have cannulas for all my clients for flying near Aspen, but $8 a pop for someone who may only use it once is pricy. I noticed medical cannulas are only about $2-3. Has anyone figured an way to adapt them to an EDS?

Thanks!
Old June 23rd 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 8:39:18 PM UTC-7, Bill G wrote:
Has anyone figured this out? I want to be able to have cannulas for all my clients for flying near Aspen, but $8 a pop for someone who may only use it once is pricy. I noticed medical cannulas are only about $2-3. Has anyone figured an way to adapt them to an EDS?

Thanks!

I've never used anything else. What's the problem? You have to adapt to a piece of stiff tube that fits the EDS output, using normal barb hose adapters.
Old June 23rd 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Uh... not to sound to dumb, but where do you get exactly the right piece of stiff tube and the "normal" barb hose adapters?

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old June 23rd 17, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Try a local medical supply, or, WWGraingers or McMaster-Carr. Just need to get some dimensions.
Old June 24th 17, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 8:39:18 PM UTC-7, Bill G wrote:
Has anyone figured this out? I want to be able to have cannulas for all my clients for flying near Aspen, but $8 a pop for someone who may only use it once is pricy. I noticed medical cannulas are only about $2-3. Has anyone figured an way to adapt them to an EDS?

Thanks!

/shrug
Perhaps a $1.96 quart of 70% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart to soak them in before being used again might do the trick?
Old June 24th 17, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

EDS will sell you the needed bits. One of their cannulas is just a medical one with the proper bits on the end. I don't have mine in front of me but I think all you do cut off the medical connector end then plug the bare hose into the barb that comes with the EDS cannula.

But as someone else said, you can also get a box of alcohol wipes and clean it between passengers.

5Z

Old June 24th 17, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

That's exactly what I do. All I need for adaption is a pocket knife.

Bert TW
Old June 24th 17, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Be selective in the cannula you pick from medical supply companies. Some have plastic tubing that is ribbed internally to keep it from collapsing if kinked. These will NOT seal to a round tube or hose barb.
Old June 24th 17, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jodom

I would not suggest mixing medical cannabis and aviation.

Old June 24th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And for decent cannolis, try a good Italian restaurant. But they won't help in preventing hypoxia.