Kestrel 19 info wanted.

Old June 1st 18, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Kestrel 19 info wanted.

Should be better than 45 after reprofiling, my 17m DG200, same airfoil is 45 factory, the 17m kestrel was 43, and the 19m was 44.
Old June 1st 18, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 3:56:52 PM UTC-4, Glidingstuff wrote:
Hi all

Anybody got any links to a Kestrel 19 T59D owner group,pages etc?

I have obtained a broken one for a long term project and want to obtain any info that is available re parts, mods and drawings.

I remember from somewhere talk of a one piece canopy ala DG mod.

Any info much appreciated.

E-mail me at p_buchanan(at)rocketmail.com

Cheers

Paul

Installing a separate wheel brake lever allows the spoilers to be fully extended
without being restricted and you can apply full pressure to the brake.
Make the deploy/dump handles distinctly different to touch.
BTW a wet drogue chute may be slow to deploy; repack it every flight.
JMF
Old June 1st 18, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Chidekel

On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 8:56:36 AM UTC-4, john firth wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 3:56:52 PM UTC-4, Glidingstuff wrote:
Hi all

Anybody got any links to a Kestrel 19 T59D owner group,pages etc?

I have obtained a broken one for a long term project and want to obtain any info that is available re parts, mods and drawings.

I remember from somewhere talk of a one piece canopy ala DG mod.

Any info much appreciated.

E-mail me at p_buchanan(at)rocketmail.com

Cheers

Paul

Installing a separate wheel brake lever allows the spoilers to be fully extended
without being restricted and you can apply full pressure to the brake.
Make the deploy/dump handles distinctly different to touch.
BTW a wet drogue chute may be slow to deploy; repack it every flight.
JMF

Did they couple the spoilers and the wheel brake in the Kestrel 19? The 401 that I fly has a separate lever for the wheel brake... located just below the stick.

The handle for deploying the drogue chute (again, 401 S/N 48, not T59) is located on the left cockpit wall, vaguely similar in position to the release handle in the new Schleicher gliders. This is within easy reach from the spoilers/flaps, and I have been practicing grabbing it on the ground without looking. The jettison handle is on the lower right side of the instrument pod. Is this unchanged for the T59?

Needless to say, all of these handles can get pretty busy in the flare/rollout.
Old June 1st 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 7:19:36 AM UTC-6, Phil Chidekel wrote:
[...]

Prior owner of my 19 had the knob attach bolt fail on landing/takeoff inboard flap handle and the lever disappeared into the panel. IIRC, it was corrosion related. Something to maybe check occasionally.

Frank Whiteley
Old June 1st 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

ah yes the highest L/D to Lever ratio of any sailplane ever built!
Old June 3rd 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

On 2018/06/01 09:28, wrote:
Should be better than 45 after reprofiling, my 17m DG200, same airfoil is 45 factory, the 17m kestrel was 43, and the 19m was 44.

Hi Mike

Unfortunately when they built the 19m they did not understand
aerodynamics so well I suspect. So they added a metre of thick draggy
wing at the root, and left the relatively high lift wingtips in place.

So - what you get is lots of extra profile drag. Best I could get off
GPS traces on long final glides in winter when the air is nice and still
- a little under 1:46... Maybe it is that she is 40+years old (1971 was
a LOOONG time ago). Maybe I am pessimistic. With properly profiled
airfoil but without additional mylar seals on the flaps - only internal
seals. I can honestly claim 1:45 is an achievable glide ratio. On a good
day it is maybe 1 better. But I never counted on that. The single piece
canopy may improve the sealing enough to make a difference there - the
amount of noise the canopy generates indicates that it is a source of
significant drag.

Keith modified a T59D by reprofiling the entire wing, and removing the
outboard 1.5m on each side, and reprofiling that part with thinner,
lower incidence airfoil and polyhedral plus a winglet. That got the
owner more like 1:51 - but the cost to do it commercially would be
prohibitive.

Old June 4th 18, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Its is my recollection that 1/2 meter was added at the root and the tip.
Airfoils 101, a thicker airfoil has a wider but shallower low drag bucket.
Old April 24th 19, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Anyone know how much the wings weigh?
Old April 24th 19, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 7:17:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Anyone know how much the wings weigh?

Mine are 208lbs and 206lbs.
Old April 24th 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 3:56:52 PM UTC-4, Glidingstuff wrote:
Hi all

Anybody got any links to a Kestrel 19 T59D owner group,pages etc?

I have obtained a broken one for a long term project and want to obtain any info that is available re parts, mods and drawings.

I remember from somewhere talk of a one piece canopy ala DG mod.

Any info much appreciated.

E-mail me at p_buchanan(at)rocketmail.com

Cheers

Paul

Glide ratio; Slingsby modestly claimed 44 so the testing shows it
up close to the Nimbus 2, the competition in 1972.
G.Burton claimed that the wing root fillet solved the root flow
separation ( on the 17); 250 lbs of ballast made it go noticeably better.
( first 750KM in N. America)
John F

LS-3a Polar Info. Wanted. Eric Nielsen Soaring 4 January 21st 16 02:26 PM
Color scheme info wanted. Kees Mies Piloting 13 November 12th 04 03:46 PM
Wanted Info on Narco Com 810 [email protected] Owning 1 July 18th 04 12:20 PM
Discus Info Wanted Scott Soaring 0 March 9th 04 06:59 AM
Wanted info on Buttercup Charlie Restoration 0 November 20th 03 06:03 PM