Another IFR "oops"

Old July 14th 03, 03:11 AM
Jon Kraus

Thanks Peter... I sure hope so.... and yes, much was learned...

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA

"Peter R." wrote:

Jon Kraus wrote:

snip
My
instructor didn't know what to say except to point out that I was so
far behind the plane that if we were a minimums I never would have been
able to make the approach. I really didn't know what to say except for
I'll do better next time. All I could do on the ride hope is get a good
laugh from my stupidity. I have had so much on my mind that I probably
shouldn't have been flying. Not IFR any way's.

As you undoubtedly know, the absolute best time to make that kind of
mistake is with your instructor or safety pilot. That lesson served
multiple purposes.

--
Peter

Old July 14th 03, 02:20 PM
John Clonts

Roy Smith wrote in message
"Guy Elden Jr." wrote:
ignore ATC when
they "complain" that you should be able to read their minds.

Yeah.

I had a bizarre experience just the other day. We were doing a left
downwind departure from Morristown NJ's runway 23 and I wanted to get
back to White Plains as efficiently as possible. For those not
familiar with the area, it's very congested airspace, with Morristown
and Caldwell's Class D's abutting, Teterboro's Class D right next door,
and all of this under the shelf of New York's Class B.

GPS gave me a bearing to White Plains and Morristown tower let us leave
the frequency as soon as we broke ground. I called up NY Approach and
requested "Class Bravo clearance, heading 080, direct White Plains".
The controller gave us a squawk and instructed us to "remain below the
floor of the class bravo, and clear of Caldwell's airspace".

A quick glance at the chart showed that we could do all that by
squeaking between Caldwell and Teterboro, almost exactly in the
direction we wanted to go. So we started to do that. Not long after,
the controler was back, yelling at us to head north-west (about 120
degrees off our on-course heading), and ranting about how we needed to
stay out of the arrival path, blah, blah. Clearly he felt we had
disregarded his instructions.

The problem is, what he really wanted us to do was stay clear of CDW's
airspace to the west. All he *told* us to do was to stay clear of it,
and we were doing that by going east of it. What was I supposed to do,
read his mind?

At what altitude were you intending to skirt east of CDW? Isn't the Class B
floor 1800 there?

Old July 14th 03, 02:56 PM
Roy Smith

"John Clonts" wrote:
At what altitude were you intending to skirt east of CDW? Isn't the Class B
floor 1800 there?

I think you answered your own question, no?
Old July 14th 03, 10:29 PM
Sriram Narayan

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:10:27 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

The interesting thing is BHM's comment that I "...should have asked
Montgomery for that one." How was I to know that? BHM is named on plates as
the approach facility for EET. There's no ATIS at EET. What should I have
done to find out that BHM couldn't give me the RNAV 33 approach?

No, I don't think so. I tried that once flying down to LA (actually
John Wayne/Orange Cty), thinking that it would be nice to get a
certain approach since I felt I was quite close, but they didn't care
for it. Little did I know I was going to be vectored around and handed
over three more times within the LA sector, so there was no way to
know when to request a certain approach. It was IMC at that time, and
considering the volume of traffic at Orange Cty it would have been
moot anyway.
Old July 21st 03, 06:31 PM
gpa

Dan:

I see you fly out of BFM. Do you know Bobby Mooring the mixmaster mosquito
abatement man & resident flying instructor at BFM? I was wonder how he is
doing these days. I think he calls himself Azalea Air...

When you get a chance you might want to fly up to Monroeville for your $100
hamburger and and ask if Harper Lee (Author of To Kill a Mockingbird) is
still signing copies of her book. One of her relatives runs the FBO there
and in the past was able to get pilots who dropped in signed copies of her
books...Never know, it might be worth something someday...I got me one last
time I was up there.

Greg Arnold

--
I've learned that it is what I do not know that I fear, and I strive,
outwardly from pride, inwardly from the knowledge that the unknown is

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Another one of those things I guess I should have been ready for sneaked

up
on me this morning.

We were going from BFM to EET (Shelby County Airport, Alabaster, Alabama)
and the ceiling was right at minimums for the RNAV 33 approach, and below
minimums for the VOR-A. Naturally, I wanted the RNAV 33.

There's no ATIS at EET, so no particular approach was being advertised.

When
Montgomery approach handed us off to Birmingham, BHM approach told me to
expect the VOR-A. I asked him "...any chance we can do the RNAV 33?"

"Nope. It's not in my airspace. You should have asked Montgomery for that
one. Standy by and I'll see if they'll take you back."

We got handed back to MGM, but by the time MGM was ready for us, we were
right on top of the IAF (IXUSE) and 1,900' high. Not a serious problem,
really, because by then I had slowed to 90 kts, but it made the first part
of the approach more rushed than it needed to be. Nevertheless, we made it
in just under the cloud deck

The interesting thing is BHM's comment that I "...should have asked
Montgomery for that one." How was I to know that? BHM is named on plates

as
the approach facility for EET. There's no ATIS at EET. What should I have
done to find out that BHM couldn't give me the RNAV 33 approach?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 21st 03, 09:02 PM
Dan Luke

"gpa" wrote:
I see you fly out of BFM. Do you know Bobby Mooring the mixmaster

mosquito
abatement man & resident flying instructor at BFM? I was wonder how he is
doing these days. I think he calls himself Azalea Air...

Yep, I know Bobby well - he owns the other 172RG on the field. He gave me my
BFR-before-last. He's the local FAA Safety Counsellor. Bobby seems to be
doing fine.

When you get a chance you might want to fly up to Monroeville for your

$100
hamburger and and ask if Harper Lee (Author of To Kill a Mockingbird) is
still signing copies of her book. One of her relatives runs the FBO there
and in the past was able to get pilots who dropped in signed copies of her
books...Never know, it might be worth something someday...I got me one

last
time I was up there.

Love the book, but I only have a worn out paperback. It would be a thrill to
find a hard cover copy and fly it up there for her to sign. Like most pilots
who trained around Mobile, I've been to MVC many times.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Oops Glenn Weinstein Home Built 0 August 27th 04 04:52 AM
Oops; made gap too small Michael Horowitz Home Built 3 December 3rd 03 05:24 AM