Mirror Glaze

Old July 5th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

Default Mirror Glaze

I was talking to a fellow pilot last night about cleaning plexiglass and
he suggested using something called Mirror Glaze as a way to get out
minor scratchiing and crazing (or just for a good cleaning). Up to this
point I have only used Plexus or similar products to do our windows.

Has anyone used Mirror Glaze and what were your results. It looks like
there is both a cleaner # M1708 and polisher # M1008. I assume you
would use the cleaner and then the polisher. I cound it online for
..0590 AMU for a 8 ounce bottle.... Not bad for things aviation
related... What say you?

Jon Kraus
Old July 5th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
.. .
I was talking to a fellow pilot last night about cleaning plexiglass and he
suggested using something called Mirror Glaze as a way to get out minor
scratchiing and crazing (or just for a good cleaning). Up to this point I
have only used Plexus or similar products to do our windows.

Has anyone used Mirror Glaze and what were your results. It looks like
there is both a cleaner # M1708 and polisher # M1008. I assume you
would use the cleaner and then the polisher. I cound it online for .0590
AMU for a 8 ounce bottle.... Not bad for things aviation related... What
say you?

Jon Kraus

I have been using Plexus on my canopy for 5 years and the canopy developed a
layer of haze during that period. The Plexus wouldn't take it off.

I went by the local Harley Davidson dealership last week and picked up their
#2 cleaner/polish (mildly abrasive) and their regular cleaner. These
products are designed for the plexiglass windscreens on the bikes. In my
case, the cleaner/polish completely removed the haze and the cleaner left
the Plexi sparkling clean.

The "Harley" products are cheaper than aviation products and did a great
job. In addition, I don't have to mail order 'em.

It is very possible that these products are repackaged Mirror Glaze, but
then again, maybe not.

KB

#2 cleaner/polish (mildly abrasive) and their regular cleaner. These
products are designed for the plexiglass windscreens on the bikes. In my
case, the cleaner/polish completely removed the haze and the cleaner left
the Plexi sparkling clean.

*SNIP*
KB

Sounds like Novus to me.

Old July 6th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Has anyone used Mirror Glaze and what were your results. It looks like
there is both a cleaner # M1708 and polisher # M1008. I assume you
would use the cleaner and then the polisher. I cound it online for
.0590 AMU for a 8 ounce bottle.... Not bad for things aviation
related... What say you?

I have used both for years - and your assumption is correct. Good
products, and you can buy them at most auto parts and boating supply
stores. Just last week I bought a bottle of another Meguiars product:
Plast-X, which claims to be both a cleaner and polish. It did a good
job on two scuffed up motorcycle helmet visors - with some elbow
grease. I haven't had a chance to try it on an airplane windshield yet.

I got the Plast-X at Walmart, and IIRC they had the cleaner as well.

David Johnson

Old July 6th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

It is Novus... I jsut picked some up today and am on my way out to the
airport to give it a whirl.... I'll report back after trying it out.

Old July 6th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

What happened to all of the lemon pledge devotees out there! It does work
very well, even for knocking of the bugs. I suspect long term use might
also eventually result in a hazy build-up.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

.. .

Old July 7th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
wrote:

Has anyone used Mirror Glaze and what were your results. It looks like
there is both a cleaner # M1708 and polisher # M1008. I assume you
would use the cleaner and then the polisher. I cound it online for
.0590 AMU for a 8 ounce bottle.... Not bad for things aviation
related... What say you?

I have used both for years - and your assumption is correct. Good
products, and you can buy them at most auto parts and boating supply
stores. Just last week I bought a bottle of another Meguiars product:
Plast-X, which claims to be both a cleaner and polish. It did a good
job on two scuffed up motorcycle helmet visors - with some elbow
grease. I haven't had a chance to try it on an airplane windshield yet.

I got the Plast-X at Walmart, and IIRC they had the cleaner as well.

David Johnson

I have even used tooth powder and automotive rubbing compound to take
scratches out of Plexiglass. All these products are is a fine abrasive
(usually powdered pumice), mixed with a slurry agent (usually mineral
spirits or kerosene, with maybe a little petroleum jelly).

You can take out deep scratches with wet sandpaper, varying up to 2000
grit, then polishing out with any of the above stuff. Try it on a piece
of scrap Plexiglass.
Old July 8th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

Mike Noel wrote:
What happened to all of the lemon pledge devotees out there!

I have used (lemon?) Pledge on my 172M for 30 years with no evidence of
hazing or other buildup.

Old July 26th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
No Spam

On 7/6/06 17:18, "Mike Noel" wrote:

What happened to all of the lemon pledge devotees out there!

It's off the market, isn't it? Didn't they replace it with a "multi-surface"
liquid that is not wax-based?

- Don
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think
I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams