Carbon Fiber Layup - Conformal Peel Ply?

Old February 28th 04, 01:51 PM
RKT

Default Carbon Fiber Layup - Conformal Peel Ply?

I am doing wet layup in a covoluted mold using "porous teflon coated glass
peel-ply" between the lamnate and the breather. The peel-ply material is not
at all conformal and the pleats/overlaps are interfering with resin takeup.

Is there any other POROUS peel-ply material that is more conformal, better
drape? Is there some kind of porous coating that could be sprayed on the
laminate to perform the same function that could later be removed with
solvent?

Old February 28th 04, 06:50 PM
Richard Riley

:
:Is there any other POROUS peel-ply material that is more conformal, better
:drape?

Are you vacuum bagging the layup?

If so, cut your teflon glass on the bias, 45 degrees to the threads.
Then stretch it out one direction, then the other, to break the
teflon. You'll find it conforms much better. Then use small pieces
and overlap them, it will need to be able to expand along the overlaps
as the bag pulls everything down. Do the same overlap with the
bleeder.

If not, don't bother with the peel ply at all.

:Is there some kind of porous coating that could be sprayed on the
:laminate to perform the same function that could later be removed with
:solvent?

No.

Old February 29th 04, 07:17 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:50:56 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:51:32 -0500, "RKT" wrote:

:I am doing wet layup in a covoluted mold using "porous teflon coated glass
eel-ply" between the lamnate and the breather. The peel-ply material is not
:at all conformal and the pleats/overlaps are interfering with resin takeup.
:
:Is there any other POROUS peel-ply material that is more conformal, better
:drape?

I use plain old Dacron...I've tried various weaves from coarse to
fine. Too coarse and it can be a bear to get off. Too fine and it may
not be strong enough to pull off. I've also used Nylon with good
success. (I'm using Dow Derakane Vinyl Ester Resin)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old February 29th 04, 02:33 PM
RKT

Yes, I am vacuum-bagging. No, I have not tried cutting on the bias and
stretching. Didn't even think of that...

I will try your suggestions. Thank you all for the help.