Another Garmin 430 question

Old November 30th 03, 05:38 PM
Jim

Default Another Garmin 430 question

I've been told that it is possible to load successive approaches in the
flight plan page but have been un able to either figure out how to do it or
find any info in the manual about it. For instance if I wanted to create a
flight plan to take off at one airport, fly to a second airport then do
several instrument approaches at the second airport then head to a third
airport and do several approaches there. I have no problem loading in the
airport and then the first approach, but if I try to enter a second
approach, the first approach is erased, even if I re-enter the airport in
the flight plan after the initial approach. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jim

Old November 30th 03, 08:12 PM
Jeff

towards the back of the book that comes with the 430 is a section on entering
flight plans and saving them. I will look up the exact page for you.

Old November 30th 03, 08:44 PM
Jeff

page 54 in the manual will tell you in detail about creating the flight plans
and saving them.

Jeff
http://www.turboarrow3.com

Old November 30th 03, 11:44 PM
Jim

Yep, I've read that whole section but no where does it tell you if you can
or how to enter multiple approaches. I'm at home now just playing with the
sim, but everytime I try to enter a second approach in the flight plan, it
replaces the first approach that I had entered. The flight plan format
seems to have 2 sections, Enroute (at the top) then Approach (under the
Enroute portion) you can enter and save as many Enroute waypoints as you
want ( well, up to 31 ) but only enter one approach after the enroute
section. I can also enter an airport or any other waypoint after the hold
portion of the approach that is saved, but I can not enter a second approach
even if it is at a different airport.

For instance if you wanted to pre load your alternate airport and an
approach in case you couldn't get in at the first airport, you'd fly the
missed, the garmin would go into suspend mode, then you could hit the OBS
button and have it sequence you to the alternate airport and fly the
approach that was saved in the same flight plan.

Jim

Old December 1st 03, 12:07 AM
ArtP

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:44:16 -0600, "Jim"
wrote:

For instance if you wanted to pre load your alternate airport and an
approach in case you couldn't get in at the first airport, you'd fly the
missed, the garmin would go into suspend mode, then you could hit the OBS
button and have it sequence you to the alternate airport and fly the
approach that was saved in the same flight plan.

You can't load multiple approaches. Since you won't know what approach
you will be assigned until it is assigned and the approach selection
is so quick it doesn't make sense to pre load any approaches.
Old December 1st 03, 12:15 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Jim" wrote in message ...

I've been told that it is possible to load successive approaches in the
flight plan page but have been un able to either figure out how to do it or
find any info in the manual about it. For instance if I wanted to create a

I am unaware of any way to do this, nor would I consider this to be a
desirable feature. I think there would be too much risk of confusion
which approach you are flying and/or how to sequence to a missed
approach hold vs. sequence to a new approach.

I suppose you could enter the waypoints for an approach manually, but
in that case the approach would not arm/activate/annunciate correctly
and thus that would not be desirable.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com
Old December 1st 03, 12:29 AM
C J Campbell

You cannot load multiple approaches into this unit. Approaches by their
nature terminate the flight plan at the airport. You can cycle the unit to
the holding fix, but that is about it. If you were able to load multiple
approaches the unit could become confused on missed approach whether to
cycle to the holding fix or to the next approach.

I suppose you could manually enter all the waypoints for each of the
approaches you wanted to fly, but then the GPS would never go into approach
mode.

One thing I have noticed with both the GARMIN and the King GPS units is that
if there is a flight plan stored in the unit and you select an approach, the
software will append that approach to the flight plan stored in the unit.
This is all right if the stored flight plan terminates at the destination
airport, but if it terminates at another airport I have seen them offer
erroneous information such as bad vectors. I recommend clearing the stored
flight plan completely before selecting an approach if that flight plan
terminates at another airport.

Old December 1st 03, 12:34 AM
Jim

Thanks. I thought I knew the unit pretty well and didn't think you could do
it however the person telling me that you could was very adamant about it.
The topic came up while doing multiple practice approaches at a non towered
airport and started out with the question "Why don't you just load all the
approaches before you take off?" Ummmm.... you can't!
Jim

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
om...

Old December 1st 03, 01:05 PM
Dave S

Sounds like you need to tell Mr Adamant to show you how its done... and
see if he's really correct on this issue..

Dave