IFR: How many hours did it take you?

Old September 17th 04, 11:10 PM
Richard Hertz

And I bet you are one of those pilots with "personal mimimums."

"ajohnson" wrote in message
m...
I finished close to the absolute minimum - 31.5 hours
in the air (almost all hood time), 9 on a PCATD. I already
had around 250 hours when I started, and had been flying the
same airplane (Cherokee) for a couple of years.

--
Allen Johnson

Old September 18th 04, 07:08 AM
Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

At 135hours I started My instrument training.

30 days and 41.2 hours latter (Including 12 in the Sim) I had my IFR ticket

Eric Fletcher

Old September 19th 04, 04:35 PM
Richard Hertz

My opinion of checkrides and minimal training is just that, minimal. Most
of the training I have seen is pretty poor and leaves no doubt in my mind
why people end up killing themselves nor why there is such a popular opinion
of "personal minimums" or people who never fly actual or down to minimums
even when they have the rating.

news

Old September 19th 04, 05:12 PM
Gary Drescher

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
. ..
My opinion of checkrides and minimal training is just that, minimal. Most
of the training I have seen is pretty poor and leaves no doubt in my mind
why people end up killing themselves nor why there is such a popular
opinion
of "personal minimums" or people who never fly actual or down to minimums
even when they have the rating.

Flying approaches to minimums is one skill that the minimal required
training does seem to impart. But it's a skill that erodes quickly in the
absence of recent experience. So an instrument pilot who flies infrequently
has good reason to establish personal minimums. As for me, I don't mind
doing a straight-in precision approach down to DA. But I won't fly a
circling approach without a large extra margin, or fly in night IMC, because
I don't get much practice under those circumstances.

--Gary

Old September 20th 04, 04:16 PM
Mike Rapoport

I agree that the checkride is a minimium standard but there is no evidence
that pilots who reach that level of proficiency in minimium time aren't at
least as good as those who take twice as long. I would go further and
speculate that those who passed the checkride in minimium time had more
innate aptitude than those who took twice as long and are likely to be more
skilled 10hrs or 10yrs after the checkride.

Old September 21st 04, 04:23 AM
C Kingsbury

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message link.net...

least as good as those who take twice as long. I would go further and
speculate that those who passed the checkride in minimium time had more
innate aptitude than those who took twice as long and are likely to be more
skilled 10hrs or 10yrs after the checkride.

I would go further and speculate that many of them were able to train
full time, or at least several times per week. I know my stops and
starts cost me at least ten hours.

It may also indicate a lot about whether the CFI was very motivated to
get the student finished up, or was happy to have them keep coming
back "for just a little bit more."

Ultimately it's quite difficult to come up with a simple metric that
measures someone's proficiency as a pilot. You just kind of know it
when you see it.

Best,
-cwk.
Old September 21st 04, 02:58 PM
Mike Rapoport

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Agreed. My point is only that there isn't any connection between getting
the rating in minimium time and inferior performance. There are many
reasons why getting the rating might take longer but if someone gets it in
minimium time, I don't see how one can conclude other than the pilot had
reasonable aptitude.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 29th 04, 05:48 PM
Chris

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
. com...
"STICKMONKE" wrote in message
I'm trying to determine the average hours it took for you to get your IFR
rating. Just curious.

50 hours of instrument of which 20 is actual plus 2 hours in a Frasca
simulator. My foundation was a UK IMC rating which is 15 hours minimum of
training. Total time 300