Defensive circle

Old October 3rd 03, 05:36 PM
Mary Shafer

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:07:49 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Mary Shafer" wrote...

It's one thing to be older than dirt, but another entirely
to be older than the Warthog (and the Eagle, Viper, Turkey, Plastic
Bug, C-17, Tornado, Gripen, and Mach-1-plus flight).

Just consider yourself a walking aviation history library! :-)

Now that she's retired , I was hoping I could get her to come over here and
help me with my retirement work.......you know; yard work!!! :-)))

I cleverly retired to a place with postage-stamp-sized lots and
draconian restrictions on the number of plants, just to avoid yard
work. The hardest thing I do in the yard is pick lemons off the tree.

I have to admit that the dogs do cause a certain amount of work in the
yard. That's not yard work, per se, but dog work, though.

Mary
--
Mary Shafer
"There are only two types of aircraft--fighters and targets"
Old October 4th 03, 03:22 AM
WaltBJ

A tight turning circle down in the weeds is damn difficut to attack
without hitting the ground yourself. By DIW I mean the defender is
flying as low as he can and still stay alive, 25 feet or less. The
attacker has his hands full trying to pull lead and keep from slipping
below the defender's turning plane. You can find cases of this in BoB
records where RAF pilots were down low and had a 109 trapped at six
but got out of it by getting even lower. I know a PRANG pilot back in
the 70's who got bounced by 2 F14s and kept them from tracking him by
going down just above the waves. He was creaking around for a week
after pulling 7G for way too long but they ran out of fuel before they
ever got 'guns' on him. That was after his flight successfully
attacked the Ike by coming in at zero feet in sea clutter.
Walt BJ
Old October 5th 03, 12:09 AM
vincent p. norris

I wish you wouldn't write stuff like this. I remember the A-10 first
flight, which was after I got out of college and was working at
Edwards. It's one thing to be older than dirt, but another entirely
to be older than the Warthog (and the Eagle, Viper, Turkey, Plastic
Bug, C-17, Tornado, Gripen, and Mach-1-plus flight).

Don't complain, Mary. I'm older than the P-6E!

vince norris
Old October 9th 03, 06:13 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , Mary Shafer
writes
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 06:08:05 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

About the Warthog: The A-10 has been in the inventory for longer than
many or most of the posters on this newsgroup have been alive.

I wish you wouldn't write stuff like this. I remember the A-10 first
flight, which was after I got out of college and was working at
Edwards. It's one thing to be older than dirt, but another entirely
to be older than the Warthog (and the Eagle, Viper, Turkey, Plastic
Bug, C-17, Tornado, Gripen, and Mach-1-plus flight).

Mary

Even worse, I was born the day the last Sunderland was launched, and
I've not had as interesting a professional life (in aviation terms,
anyway). :-(
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!