Meting with a Lancaster rear gunner

Old November 21st 03, 06:29 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , Dave Eadsforth
wrote:

Re. cows, has not the methane from the world's cattle been identified as
a major contribution to reduction of the ozone layer? Damn good reason
not to be vegetarian - eat more meat...and quicker...God bless Atkins...

Not ozone depletion, global warming.

I love animals, most of them are quite tasty,

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old November 22nd 03, 03:27 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Dave Eadsforth writes:
Snip - breif description of Diluter-type O2 systems

So, if you're flying through a smoke cloud from a fire, or a flak
burst, or the gun gas coming from your muzzles, you'd smell it.
(Never experienced that myself - But I do know that if you're flying
over South Dakota you can smell the cows.)

Thanks for that, Peter; I had heard of the economiser but had no
knowledge of how it worked. I did know that the early oxygen systems
were not force feed, which led to hypoxia (or anoxia - whichever term
you like best) in photo-reconnaissance pilots and less fit crewmen, but
no idea of the dilution. No wonder...

Pressure Oxygen systems aren't required until you get above about
35,000-40,000 ' (11,000 -13,000m) or so. Below that height, there's
enough pressure to force the air/Oxygen mixture through the wall of
the Aveolae in the lungs. Above that heoght, even pure O2 won't make
it into the bloodstream without some help. So, positive pressure
systems wre developed, these force O2 into the mask at higher than
ambient pressures, forcing the gas into the lungs. These systems
require masks that make a positive airtight seal to your face, and
breathing with them takes a bit of getting used to. Above 50,000',
you begin to need full-body pressurization, either from a pressure
cabin or a pressure suit.

Re. cows, has not the methane from the world's cattle been identified as
a major contribution to reduction of the ozone layer? Damn good reason
not to be vegetarian - eat more meat...and quicker...God bless Atkins...

The Greenhouse effect, mostly. Despite the jibing the Pres. Reagan
took, another big contributer is Coniferous Trees. (Pines, Spruce,
Cedar, etc.) Their pitch is high in volatile hydrocarbons, such as
Furaline (Turpentine). This will basically boil off on warm days, and
enter the atmosphere. That's how the Smoky Mountains got their name.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old November 22nd 03, 08:08 AM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , Peter Stickney
writes
In article ,
Dave Eadsforth writes:
[...]

Looks like Hilary and Tensing were lucky that Mount Everest was not 5000
feet higher

So, positive pressure
systems wre developed, these force O2 into the mask at higher than
ambient pressures, forcing the gas into the lungs. These systems
require masks that make a positive airtight seal to your face, and
breathing with them takes a bit of getting used to.

I suppose the act of breathing through such a system might feel similar
to the pressure feed from my SCUBA regulator?

Above 50,000',
you begin to need full-body pressurization, either from a pressure
cabin or a pressure suit.

Re. cows, has not the methane from the world's cattle been identified as
a major contribution to reduction of the ozone layer? Damn good reason
not to be vegetarian - eat more meat...and quicker...God bless Atkins...

The Greenhouse effect, mostly. Despite the jibing the Pres. Reagan
took, another big contributer is Coniferous Trees. (Pines, Spruce,
Cedar, etc.) Their pitch is high in volatile hydrocarbons, such as
Furaline (Turpentine). This will basically boil off on warm days, and
enter the atmosphere. That's how the Smoky Mountains got their name.

Thank you - yet another factlet that could win me a beer!

I the UK we have an increasing number of furnishing stores being opened
by the IKEA corporation of Sweden. If pine trees are also contributing
to the Greenhouse Effect by pumping gas into the atmosphere then maybe
they should change their advertising: 'Pine furniture made from non-
renewable resources! We are doing our bit to save the planet by wiping
out all those dangerous conifers!'

Norway could also get in on the act. 'We are only resuming whaling to
save the world's plankton...'

Nothing succeeds like a bit of imaginative PR.

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth

More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids, with added nationalistic abuse (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 161 September 25th 03 07:35 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM
Lancaster returns to AWM Graeme Hogan Military Aviation 2 July 24th 03 01:08 PM
The Tail Gunner Said It: 'I Love Them People' Otis Willie Military Aviation 1 July 7th 03 11:37 PM