PA 28 Trim Wheel Lubrication

Old April 17th 05, 01:24 PM
Mike Spera

Default PA 28 Trim Wheel Lubrication

The floor mounted trim wheel on my Cherokee has always been a little
stiff to move. Others I have flown are usually pretty smooth and free.
The jack screw on the tail is well greased and the pulleys along the way
are moving freely. It appears the drag is in the wheel mechanism itself.
What is the procedure to lubricate this assembly? Do you need to
secure the control cables before disassembly? Please reply to the group
and me. For some reason, my provider's service has been dropping posts
and replies recently.

Thanks,
Mike

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old April 17th 05, 07:51 PM

Mike Spera wrote:
: The floor mounted trim wheel on my Cherokee has always been a little
: stiff to move. Others I have flown are usually pretty smooth and free.
: The jack screw on the tail is well greased and the pulleys along the way
: are moving freely. It appears the drag is in the wheel mechanism itself.
: What is the procedure to lubricate this assembly? Do you need to
: secure the control cables before disassembly? Please reply to the group
: and me. For some reason, my provider's service has been dropping posts
: and replies recently.

I'd try to take a look at the routing of the cables heading back to the tail.
See if they have eaten into their fiber blocks going through bulkheads. Other than
that, mine has the overhead trim, so I'm not sure how the floor-flavored versions
work.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old April 18th 05, 08:22 PM
tom418

From my Seneca's M/M; (Yours should be similar):
"Trim Control Wheel moves with excessive resistance:
Cause(s): System not lubricated properly
Cable Tension too high
Pulleys binding or rubbing (another poster mentioned this
one)
Cables not in place on pulleys
Trim tab hinge binding
Cables crossed or routed incorrectly (forget that one, unless
some elf tampered with your plane)
YES, you need to secure the trim cables before disassembly.
This means blocking the cables at the pulleys in the tail cone.

According to M/M, the trim wheel should be lubed with a MIL L-7870 type
lubricant. I use Royco 363. I bought a gallon can of this from Aviall a few
years ago. I'm still using it. HTH

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
The floor mounted trim wheel on my Cherokee has always been a little
stiff to move. Others I have flown are usually pretty smooth and free.
The jack screw on the tail is well greased and the pulleys along the way
are moving freely. It appears the drag is in the wheel mechanism itself.
What is the procedure to lubricate this assembly? Do you need to
secure the control cables before disassembly? Please reply to the group
and me. For some reason, my provider's service has been dropping posts
and replies recently.

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.uncensored-news.com
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Cherokee Electric Pitch Trim Jonathan Goodish Owning 4 November 18th 04 02:43 AM
A very basic question Ramapriya Piloting 45 November 9th 04 01:57 PM
VW-1 C-121J landing with unlocked nose wheel Mel Davidow LT USNR Ret Military Aviation 1 January 19th 04 05:22 AM
Lance vx. 6/300 Bridgadoon Owning 27 September 28th 03 08:20 PM
The Little Wheel in Back Veeduber Home Built 6 September 8th 03 10:29 AM