Incoherence in the media

Old January 7th 13, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default Incoherence in the media

This is really something. Makes you wonder if you need a new and stronger brand of coffee.

http://tinyurl.com/a4sgrjb

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old January 7th 13, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

pretty sure that guys corporote jet almost hit a glider several years back, and he's been on a rampage about it ever since.
Old January 7th 13, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Some excellent responses left already, highlighting the incredible number of errors in the article. Obviously, the guys is doing a "drive by" on soaring and has an axe to grind.
Old January 7th 13, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I agree, excellent responses (thanks).

But, (and at the risk of being pendantic - - which has never stopped me before) it isn't true that "ZERO" power planes are equipped with Flarm (PowerFlarm).

All of SoaringNV's tow planes have PF, as does my own Husky A1-B. Near Minden, NV we are mostly flying in glider trafficked areas. Voluntarily equipping power planes with PF is a responsible approach that bespeaks SoaringNV's overall commitment to safe operations.

We might suggest that the jet jockey buy a PF.

bumper
Old January 7th 13, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, January 7, 2013 12:22:09 PM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
We might suggest that the jet jockey buy a PF.

Ha! But wouldn't the limited range of PF and the speed of the jet render PF practically useless?
Old January 8th 13, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"This despite the fact that gliders are much more invisible than others because they move silently."

So gliders are harder to see because you can't hear them? Gotta love that logic.
Old January 8th 13, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 7, 2013 4:46:38 AM UTC-8, Evan Ludeman wrote:
This is really something. Makes you wonder if you need a new and stronger brand of coffee.

http://tinyurl.com/a4sgrjb

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Most glider owners flying cross country have done the responsible thing by voluntarily installing a transponder. Too bad the glider pilot in the Minden midair didn't have his on; we might not be having this conversation. Frankly it makes sense for gliders above 10,000 MSL to have transponders if not flying locally. I am not sold on FLARM though at all.

Dean "GO" (glider pilot for fun, airline pilot to pay for it!)
Warner Springs, CA
Old January 9th 13, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Monday, January 7, 2013 7:46:38 AM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:
This is really something. Makes you wonder if you need a new and stronger brand of coffee. http://tinyurl.com/a4sgrjb -Evan Ludeman / T8

I am baffled by the fact that any one of those mental bottom feeders can put out a piece like this and present it to the public as facts although there are more holes in this story than in an average slice of swiss cheese! I didn't spend too much time looking but I could not find a name of the 'journalist' who wrote this.

'GM'
Old January 9th 13, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:09:52 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, January 7, 2013 4:46:38 AM UTC-8, Evan Ludeman wrote:

This is really something. Makes you wonder if you need a new and stronger brand of coffee.

http://tinyurl.com/a4sgrjb

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Most glider owners flying cross country have done the responsible thing by voluntarily installing a transponder. Too bad the glider pilot in the Minden midair didn't have his on; we might not be having this conversation. Frankly it makes sense for gliders above 10,000 MSL to have transponders if not flying locally. I am not sold on FLARM though at all.

Dean "GO" (glider pilot for fun, airline pilot to pay for it!)

Warner Springs, CA

Most? Not where I fly. I think transponder installation is highly localized and driven by peer pressure.

And where I fly, a PF is a better investment than a transponder. Not so much for the FLARM, but more for the PCAS and ADS-B detects. But the FLARM is nice for contests, of course.

If you share airspace with heavy jets, then a transponder makes sense - but so does a PF.

66
Old January 9th 13, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 11:05:26 PM UTC-7, GM wrote:
On Monday, January 7, 2013 7:46:38 AM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:

This is really something. Makes you wonder if you need a new and stronger brand of coffee. http://tinyurl.com/a4sgrjb -Evan Ludeman / T8

I am baffled by the fact that any one of those mental bottom feeders can put out a piece like this and present it to the public as facts although there are more holes in this story than in an average slice of swiss cheese! I didn't spend too much time looking but I could not find a name of the 'journalist' who wrote this.

'GM'

The author is likely to have been an oil billionaire who Forbes ranks as the 34th richest person in the U.S. This individual's public statements indicate he feels entitled to royal status.

FWIW, according to an FAA source, at least one private jet 'near miss' encounter with a non-transponder glider occurred inside an active wave window with the jet violating its clearance.

You too can be a media person Cy Galley Home Built 13 April 19th 06 09:41 PM
Yet another media outlet gets it WRONG Guy Elden Jr Piloting 29 May 28th 05 04:36 AM
grouchy media Sean Trost Rotorcraft 0 September 8th 04 07:25 PM
Media screws up again... Sam Piloting 181 June 17th 04 06:08 PM
For the News Media: What an F-102 Looks Like Ed Rasimus Military Aviation 11 February 25th 04 02:30 PM