Cracked ribs

Old March 30th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Cracked ribs

Jack Allison wrote:

Oops...meant to post in r.a.o...bah, stupid fingers!

Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.

http://www.newpiper.com/company/Publ...20Insp-Mod.pdf

The SB requires putting the plane on jacks and removing the gear side
brace and bracket.

As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.

At least I can split the repair bill three ways...but it's still gonna
put a dent in the flying funds.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old March 30th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.

As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.

Augh! That really, really sucks, Jack.

Two good things:

1. It sounds like the kind of thing that only gets worse over time.
You are wise to get it over and done with now.

2. You caught it far enough before OSH as to not interfere with your
trip. (Well, unless your shop REALLY sucks.) THAT could have ruined
your whole summer.

I'll bet this problem is going to rival the Lycoming crankshaft AD by
the time all is said and done. There are a LOT of Piper retracts out
there.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 30th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Bummer on the rib.
Glad you did the inspection though.
After the repair is done you'll sleep better.
Jim

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
. ..

Old March 31st 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
Augh! That really, really sucks, Jack.

Yes, suckage level is extremely high. Right at the one year ownership
point too. Oh well, I'll have some great show and tell pictures for
Oshkosh. What an excuse to have folks crawl around in the grass under
my plane :-)

Two good things:

1. It sounds like the kind of thing that only gets worse over time.
You are wise to get it over and done with now.

Yep, and if it becomes an AD, I'd expect we will have permanently
complied by replacing the ribs.

2. You caught it far enough before OSH as to not interfere with your
trip. (Well, unless your shop REALLY sucks.) THAT could have ruined
your whole summer.

Also very true.

I'll bet this problem is going to rival the Lycoming crankshaft AD by
the time all is said and done. There are a LOT of Piper retracts out
there.

It's going to be interesting to see how many folks opt for performing
the SB and how many find cracks. I only know of one other aircraft that
found cracks (Dick Russ's Lance)...but it's still very early with this
one.

I'm also very interested to see if this does become an AD.

Old March 31st 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Yes, suckage level is extremely high. Right at the one year ownership
point too. Oh well, I'll have some great show and tell pictures for
Oshkosh. What an excuse to have folks crawl around in the grass under my
plane :-)

"...suckage level is extremely high."

Agreed! :-(

I'll have to gauge your temperature in a few months before we decide to
offer ribs at the Rec.Aviation N40 cookout this year.

Good luck harboring your AMU's.

Montblack

Old April 1st 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Montblack wrote:

I'll have to gauge your temperature in a few months before we decide to
offer ribs at the Rec.Aviation N40 cookout this year.

So long as you don't charge $.55 AMUs plus $.05 AMU crating fee per rib,
cook up all the ribs you want (or have Joe cook 'em up!

Good luck harboring your AMU's.

I think I'll have to rob the flying fund for the next few months.

Old April 1st 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:06:32 -0800, Jack Allison
wrote:

Jack Allison wrote:

Oops...meant to post in r.a.o...bah, stupid fingers!

Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.

That really should be for the pilots who do full stall landings from
10 feet up.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Cracked ribs Jack Allison Piloting 17 April 1st 06 09:14 AM
Cracked cylinder: Typical cause? Peter R. Owning 19 October 9th 04 04:24 AM
Testing Stick Ribs Bob Hoover Home Built 3 October 3rd 04 02:30 AM
Heat treating wing ribs Holger Stephan Home Built 13 February 3rd 04 11:59 PM
Is a cracked vent SCAT tube an urgent problem? Ben Jackson Owning 18 September 20th 03 03:31 AM