Autogas planning map and Fly-in food planning map

Old March 31st 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Autogas planning map and Fly-in food planning map

I can't find these information presented on a map anywhere on the web,
so I wrote my own:

http://www.chouby.com/apps/autogas.html
http://www.chouby.com/apps/100dollarhamburger.html

Enjoy!

Old March 31st 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Do you suspect you will save money with autogas? When I had the Aeronca
my experience was that unless you brought it with you, auto gas was
almost as expensive as avgas at the airport. Factor in having to go out
of your way to find it, it wasn't worth it.
However, I will say that the 65hp Cont. engine ran much better on auto
gas. The solvents in car gas seem to really keep the engine clean and
the lower octane helps a lot too.

Sadly, I live in California where almost all autogas is illegal
according to the STC. The EAA says there are no plans to get approval
for "modern" gas. Let's hope they change the formula again.

-Robert

Old March 31st 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Well, depending on where you live. I live close AWO where autogas is
about $1/gallon less than 100LL in the area. I save at least several
hundred dollars a year.

Old April 1st 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Do you suspect you will save money with autogas?

I would run autogas in my plane if it cost MORE than avgas. The engine
simply runs much better and cleaner on mogas, and should last much
longer as a result.

Our Lycoming O-540-B4B5 engine was never designed to run on 100LL, and
it doesn't do well with it. I have run 6,500 gallons of regular
unleaded car gas in our engine since new in 2002, without a burp.

Given the price differential, however, after paying for the Mighty
Grape (our pickup truck/fuel hauler), I have saved (at least) $4300
toward my next engine... And that goes up another $84 every time we
fill the tanks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA