List of airports with autofuel

Old March 29th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default List of airports with autofuel

I'm looking for a website that has the entire list of all airports in
US that are reported to sell autofuel. airnav.com is close, but the
best I can search is a 200nm radius from a given point (airport or
lat/long). It'll take me over 200 searches in a grid search pattern to
cover the entire US.

Ideally, that list of the airports can be placed on a map. With the
lat-long information it can be easily achieved on a webpage with Google
map API.

Anyone knows where I can get such a list?

Old March 29th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'm aware of www.airnav.com. However it's not good enough. It would
be really nice to show all the autogas airport on a map.

Also there's not a way to list all the 300 or airports in the entire US
that sell autogas.

Old March 30th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

M wrote:
I'm aware of www.airnav.com. However it's not good enough. It would
be really nice to show all the autogas airport on a map.

Also there's not a way to list all the 300 or airports in the entire US
that sell autogas.

It may HAVE to be good enough...

And on top of that, many of the locations with auto gas listed are in
out of the way locations, with irregular hours, sometimes unpaved
strips, and in some cases actually no longer provide it.

Some fields with auto gas have strict procedures that are a major hurdle
to transient ops.

Your best bet is to plan a trip from LAX to Jacksonville with a 200 mile
wide course on Airnav for fuel planning and jot them all down, Move
north and do it again. 4-5 flight plans should cover them all.

I will ask on one of the list servs Im on about just such a list, that
one of the members was building.. but I recall that the list was 1)
incomplete and 2) inaccurate.

Dave
Old March 30th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Mogas Map, Was List of airports with autofuel

At the risk of reinventing the wheel, in the event that someone out
there already has a comprehensive list of mogas places...

I have started a frappr map of Airports with Mogas on them.

http://www.frappr.com/aviationmogaslocations

It is INCOMPLETE, as its less than 12 hours old, and is reliant on peer
input to become complete.

If you know of a place that sells mogas, then feel free to join the
frappr and then add the location in the form of a color coded pushpin.

Right now it adds locations by zipcode, which arent exactly where the
airports are, but its close enough for a first stab at flight planning.

Put the identifier and airport name/city name on the pin's location, and
in the comment feel free to add the vendors name, number, or the Airnav
weblink for the airport (which becomes clickable).

Because this will NOT be regularly updated, avoid putting the price in,
rather, call the vendor or the field before flight to verify price.

Since this is about the places, and not the people, eventually the
people pins will be deleted, BUT, its open admission, so you can always
re-enroll to place more places on the map.

Dave
Old March 30th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert M. Gary wrote:
www.airnav.com Put in your location and search area and it will show
you all the airports in the area with the fuel you are looking for
sorted by price or distance. Most of the locations with autofuel (at
least in California) are seaplane bases though.

airnav.com seems to get a lot of its information from the FAA ATA-100 files,
which do have a data field indicating whether or not autogas is available, but
the data seem to be very optimistic, showing autogas where in fact none is
available.

Maybe airnav autogas info comes from some other source, but if it's from the
ATA-100 files, I'd say it's not very reliable.
Old March 30th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

At the risk of reinventing the wheel, in the event that someone out
there already has a comprehensive list of mogas places...

I have started a frappr map of Airports with Mogas on them.

http://www.frappr.com/aviationmogaslocations

Such a great concept, so poorly executed.

I thought I'd take a minute to add Muscatine Municipal Airport, a VERY
nice, almost new airport just to the south of Iowa City, with huge, new
runways, an ILS, a new terminal building, a great FBO, and mogas. We
NEED a map like this to help everyone find mogas around the country,
and I thought Frappr could be the solution!

So, I got to the end of entering all the info....BZZZTT. "You must
first join Frappr before you may enter a location".

*sigh* Okay, so I "joined" Frappr, and re-entered all the
information....BZZT! "You must first join the "Mogas Group" before
you may enter a location."

Jeeessus. So, okay, I "joined" the group, and re-entered all the
information.....BZZZT! "You must first join the 'Mogas Group' before
you may enter a location." Augh -- an endless loop!

At which point I said "F*ck this" and moved on. Too bad, too, cuz the
idea's got legs.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 30th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

At which point I said "F*ck this" and moved on. Too bad, too, cuz the
idea's got legs.
--
Jay Honeck

Jay..
Thanks for trying... I will readily admit that Google/Frappr is
changing crap DAILY.. and this particular hurdle is a pain in the ass.

The whole frappr thing as a whole has become Google's answer to
"myspace" which is where primarily teens can set up a free (but
advertiser laden) corner of the web and link to other "friends".

Once this map gets populated with places it wont be such a problem,
since most folks will only ever LOOK and not have to add.

Anyways.. Gradually I will get around to adding the ones I come across
on Airnav.. and I'm waiting on an XL spreadsheet from a rotary powered
cozy pilot in Florida...

It will get there.

For what its worth, Jay.. you can always just put a link to it on your
flying links page... and folks can LOOK at it without having to be a member.

Again,
Thanks for trying.

Dave
Old March 30th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dave Butler wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

www.airnav.com Put in your location and search area and it will show
you all the airports in the area with the fuel you are looking for
sorted by price or distance. Most of the locations with autofuel (at
least in California) are seaplane bases though.

airnav.com seems to get a lot of its information from the FAA ATA-100
files, which do have a data field indicating whether or not autogas is
available, but the data seem to be very optimistic, showing autogas
where in fact none is available.

Maybe airnav autogas info comes from some other source, but if it's from
the ATA-100 files, I'd say it's not very reliable.

So far, the ones that I've posted from "airnav" I've either called
personally, or have had prices updated THIS year.. so Im hoping its not
stale.

Again, folks who post, please put the vendor's contact in there for
verification.. every little bit helps.

And as Jay found out, you have to be a member of Frappr to post.. and
you have to be a "member" of the mogas page to post there.. so theres a
few steps if you are not familiar with frappr. Anyone can read without
registering, however.

Dave
Old March 31st 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dave S wrote:
I have started a frappr map of Airports with Mogas on them.

http://www.frappr.com/aviationmogaslocations

It is INCOMPLETE, as its less than 12 hours old, and is reliant on peer
input to become complete.

If you know of a place that sells mogas, then feel free to join the
frappr and then add the location in the form of a color coded pushpin.

I've added Plymouth Municipal Airport, KPYM, in Plymouth, Massachusetts,
along with a number to call for current prices. Last weekend, Mogas was
$3.00 a gallon. The airport also has an ILS.

I'd also like to point out an airport that, according to AOPA's airport
directory has autogas, but it actually doesn't. It's Skylark Airport,
in Warehouse Point, Connecticut, 7B6. I discovered that the hard way,
and their 100LL was more expensive than lots of other places I could
have landed. I've sent a message to AOPA to have it changed, but they
haven't fixed it yet.

Charles.
-N8385U
Old March 31st 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

M wrote:
I'm looking for a website that has the entire list of all airports in
US that are reported to sell autofuel. airnav.com is close, but the
best I can search is a 200nm radius from a given point (airport or
lat/long). It'll take me over 200 searches in a grid search pattern to
cover the entire US.

Ideally, that list of the airports can be placed on a map. With the
lat-long information it can be easily achieved on a webpage with Google
map API.

Anyone knows where I can get such a list?

Here's a list.. UNVERIFIED... 300 locations.. including hawaii and
alaska. The cozy pilot friend got back to me, and I uploaded it to my
EAA chapter webpage. There are no links to this file on the chapter
webpage... have to link in directly from below.

I will work on adding them to the Frappr as I get time.

http://www.eaa12.org/files/mogasairports.xls

Dave