Folded wing tip question

Old April 29th 05, 05:07 PM
Ken Duffey

John Carrier wrote:
"John" wrote in message
oups.com...

No, cuz the link is a picture of an F-8 Crusader . . . not an A-7
Corsair II. They look similar but the link is a Crusader. Look at the
radome and the profile of the vertical stabilizer and you will know
right away..

It always irritates me when folks consider an A-7 to be similar to an F-8.
That's like saying a burro is similar to a thoroughbred.

R / John

Our model club once had a large model display of the USS Enterprise
(CVN-65) depicting the air wing circa 1976.

I had a model of an A-7 - on the cat, deflector up - complete with
flashing lights - awesome little model, even if I do say so myself.....

We took the model display to lots of shows - it always drew a crowd
seeing a 16-foot long carrier complete with air wing on the deck.

We even featured on a UK TV kids show (Blue Peter if you ask).

Anyway, this guy comes up to me at the show, admires the the whole
display - F-14's, A-6's, A-7's, EA-6's S-61's, E-2's, even a 'visiting'
ERA-3, deck crew, tractors - the works, etc - and then tells me I've got
the A-7 wrong !!

I ask what is wrong - and he says I haven't modelled the wings in the
raised position!!

I point out that it is an A-7 - not an F-8 - but he still insists that
the A-7 has the same variable incidence wing as the F-8.

I bit my tongue and muttered 'whatever'............. and walked away.

Bloody punters !!!

Ken

Old April 30th 05, 11:25 AM
Red Rider

From the dim recesses of my mind I recall that there was one F-8 that took
off from San Clemente, one evening (night carrier quals about '62?????) with
the winds folded, He managed to turn around and landed safely, and then went
on out to the ship. Don't remember where he changed his flight suit. Can't
recall the name either but I seem to remember that he was well known, at
least later as Sq CO, or maybe CAG.

The F-8 wing folded wing incident in Italy was that Sigonella? or Naples?
Maybe off a carrier in/near Naples Bay? I remember the incident but for some
reason I connect it with Naples.

I have also heard of other folded wing Crusader incidents. I can't recall
the details of them but they included stories of two French F-8N's. I think
that they all flew. As far as wing incidence, left up/down or stuck, that
barely merited a mention.

There have been a lot of strange things in Naval Aviation over the years.
Some almost defy belief, two of my all time favorites are.

In 1956 Tom Attridge, in an F11F-1 became the first man to shoot himself
down. He did survive.

A pilot launched off a carrier near Pt Loma in his F7U, and the bridle got
stuck to the landing gear. He couldn't get the gear all the way up or down,
so they told him to point the nose out over the Pacific and eject onto the
field at NAS North Island. The theory being that the Cutlass would fly out
to sea and crash there. He ejected at about 5000' and landed (safely) but
the Cutlass refused to come down. It circled and circled and circled,
getting lower each time around. It almost hit the Hotel Del Coronado and
then landed on the beach, just across from LFTC (amphib and now SEAL
training base). Of course the gear and underside of the aircraft was
damaged, but the Cutlass was hauled of and was rebuilt to fly again.

Old April 30th 05, 01:36 PM
Greasy Rider© @invalid.com

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:25:37 GMT, "Red Rider"
postulated :

In 1956 Tom Attridge, in an F11F-1 became the first man to shoot himself
down. He did survive.

We were in Gitmo for gunnery when that happened. They gathered us all
together and said that the incident was secret and our mail would be
censored to keep the rest of the world from discovering this. The
second day one of the metalsmiths received a letter at mail call. In
it was a clipping from his wife. The episode was in the Norfolk
newspaper. So much for secrecy.

On that same cruise a mysterious gash appeared in front of the port
intake of an F11F. It was between the two gun ports yet nothing was
inhaled by the engine. BuAer nor Grumman never did figure that one
out.
Old May 12th 05, 12:45 AM
Guy Alcala

Red Rider wrote:

From the dim recesses of my mind I recall that there was one F-8 that took
off from San Clemente, one evening (night carrier quals about '62?????) with
the winds folded, He managed to turn around and landed safely, and then went
on out to the ship. Don't remember where he changed his flight suit. Can't
recall the name either but I seem to remember that he was well known, at
least later as Sq CO, or maybe CAG.

The F-8 wing folded wing incident in Italy was that Sigonella? or Naples?
Maybe off a carrier in/near Naples Bay? I remember the incident but for some
reason I connect it with Naples.

I have also heard of other folded wing Crusader incidents. I can't recall
the details of them but they included stories of two French F-8N's. I think
that they all flew. As far as wing incidence, left up/down or stuck, that
barely merited a mention.

Barrett Tilman mentions seven Crusader wings-folded takeoffs (out of 12, the
first involving an AD out of NAS Charlestown, RI in 1949, pilot jumped) in"Mig
Master", occurring between 1960 and 1969, and all made successful landings. All
but one were at night, and usually involved a hot refueling. The daytime
incident involved a VF-11 a/c flown by Lt. Jack Barnes out of Capodichino
airport near Naples, on 2 August 1960. He was doing 175 knots on final. Others
we

31 March 1964, Lt. Cdr. Thomas Hudner (MoH in Korea flying the F4U), San
Clemente, Ca. Hudner pushed negative G and got first one and then the other tip
to drop into place and lock, then lowered the wing and landed.

August 1966, marine major of VMF(AW)-235, Danang, folded his wings to clear
another a/c while taxiing, then took off loaded with 1,000 lb. of bombs and six
Zunis. Dumped his ordnance, dropped his hook, made a fast approach and caught
the arrester gear. It was really not his night, because he'd neglected to lower
his landing gear.

About 10 months later, another marine, same outfit and location, took off with 2
tons of bombs and six Zunis, which were disposed of and recovery made at 160+
knots on final.

1966 and 1967, Miramar, VF-191 and VF-53. No other info.

January 1969, location unstated, pilot had just rotated when controller informed
him of situation, he chopped the power, dropped the hook and arrested.

The French could have had others, but the book was published in 1980 so they may
have occurred later.

Guy

Old May 12th 05, 01:10 AM
Red Rider

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
Red Rider wrote:

From the dim recesses of my mind I recall that there was one F-8 that

took
[...]

Guy, thanks for doing the research. At leaast I was about ˝ right on the San
Clemente and Naples incidents. Proves I am not completely senile, YET!
grin

Red

Old May 12th 05, 11:40 PM
Guy Alcala

Red Rider wrote:

snip

Guy, thanks for doing the research. At leaast I was about ˝ right on the San
Clemente and Naples incidents. Proves I am not completely senile, YET!
grin

Red

You're welcome.

Guy