Looking for a fuselage

Old February 12th 05, 02:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Looking for a fuselage

Or a big propeller.

Now that our conversion to an aviation theme-suites hotel is almost
complete, we think it's time to make the *outside* of the place look more
aviation-ish. (We've only changed the inside, thus far.)

Anyone know where I can find an old Cessna 140 (for example) fuselage for
cheap that I could mount on a pole out front? Or a big ol' Convair prop?
Something I could hoist up onto a 3-story sign, to catch the eye of
travelers?

Anyone got any better ideas? Whatever we do, it can't be unsafe, and it
shouldn't look too kitschy...

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 12th 05, 03:19 PM
Mike Adams

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Anyone got any better ideas? Whatever we do, it can't be unsafe, and it
shouldn't look too kitschy...

Did you see the article in the EAA newsletter about the Beech Starship for sale on E-Bay? Only $50K so
far, and it would be quite the conversation piece!

Mike
Old February 12th 05, 03:37 PM
Ron Natalie

Mike Adams wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Anyone got any better ideas? Whatever we do, it can't be unsafe, and it
shouldn't look too kitschy...

Did you see the article in the EAA newsletter about the Beech Starship for sale on E-Bay? Only $50K so
far, and it would be quite the conversation piece!

Mike

That's going to go for a lot more. I think it's still got the entire panel and
all the interior left on it. You might try whoever buys it and see if there are
parts (like the props) that he might be willing to part with cheap.

Jay-- email me privately, I might have a line on some stuff for you.
Old February 12th 05, 04:23 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Or a big propeller.

Now that our conversion to an aviation theme-suites hotel is almost
complete, we think it's time to make the *outside* of the place look more
aviation-ish. (We've only changed the inside, thus far.)

Anyone know where I can find an old Cessna 140 (for example) fuselage for
cheap that I could mount on a pole out front? Or a big ol' Convair

prop?
Something I could hoist up onto a 3-story sign, to catch the eye of
travelers?

Anyone got any better ideas? Whatever we do, it can't be unsafe, and it
shouldn't look too kitschy...

How about a 1/8th scale P-51 (wood carved) on a pole out in front so it acts
like a weather vane? I saw on at a "homes on an airport" place once and it
was impressive.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old February 12th 05, 04:33 PM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Anyone know where I can find an old Cessna 140 (for example) fuselage for
cheap that I could mount on a pole out front? Or a big ol' Convair prop?
Something I could hoist up onto a 3-story sign, to catch the eye of
travelers?

Anyone got any better ideas? Whatever we do, it can't be unsafe, and it
shouldn't look too kitschy...

Cessna-on-a-stick, eh? That'll sure drag'em in off the highway. I'm
thinking the MidWest and the WestCoast have different definitions of
"kitschy."

Try something less real, more abstract and artsy. For instance, at
the Sacramento Airport, they put up some enormous colorful birds:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L3372267A
[username: root password: password]

I'm not suggesting you go to that extent, but maybe some tastful
artwork on your existing sign or the front of your hotel. Get your
wife involved or your stained-glass artist friend. Props and wingless
fuselages appeal to 0.5% of your potential guests. Don't turn away
the other 99.5%.
Old February 12th 05, 04:57 PM
Bushleague

I actually saw a 140 fuse for sale on eBay a couple of weeks ago.
Search "completed items", it may still be available. There was also a
1982 Lear 24D for $75,000. Needed new engines for most operations
types. Pass anything but a fuel truck too!

Bush

Old February 12th 05, 05:57 PM
John T

1/8 scale is pretty small.

Old February 12th 05, 07:26 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Anyone know where I can find an old Cessna 140 (for example) fuselage for
cheap that I could mount on a pole out front?

There was one available at the auction I was at - not part of the auction.
I'll check to see if it's still sitting out in the field. Auction also had a
goodly supply of telephone poles that went cheap - drats!

Anyone got any better ideas? Whatever we do, it can't be unsafe, and it
shouldn't look too kitschy...

A windmill - newer style Euro looking contraption. We've only got a few in
the Twin Cities so they are GREAT landmarks. Burnsville Honda has one -
South of Mpls 15 miles on 35W. (Not that tall either)

"Where's your Inn?"
"Right under the big white windmill."

Have I blown the $800 budget?

Montblack

Old February 12th 05, 07:35 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Anyone know where I can find an old Cessna 140 (for example) fuselage for
cheap that I could mount on a pole out front? Or a big ol' Convair prop?

Consider what an aircraft looks like after being on tiedown for a year without
being washed. I think you'd wind up with a filthy condo for starlings in
relatively short order. The prop will be easier to keep clean. Gonna put a giant
plastic owl on top of it?

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.
Old February 12th 05, 11:38 PM
Roger Long

We've got a right lower cowl skin for a 172 N. It has a dent which
was pounded out and is only slightly noticeable. It's airworthy but
the FBO bought us a new one because they forgot to tie down the other
airplane.

Just a few hundred more parts and you could have a whole 172!

--

Roger Long