Horizon Gyro internal lighting?

Old September 4th 04, 02:09 AM
Chad Lemmen

Default Horizon Gyro internal lighting?

I'm going to buy a new R.C. Allen electric horizon gyro to replace the
co-pilot's vacuum gyro. I'm trying to decide if I want to get internal
lighting or not. I couldn't find anyone that has the un-lit model in stock
p/n RCA26BK-6. I need an 8 degree panel tilt and that is a special order
from the factory and will take 2 to 3 weeks. The Gyro House has a internally
lit unit p/n RCA26BK-9 in stock and will set it to a 8 degree panel tilt for
me, but they said that will void the 1 year factory warranty, but they will
then warranty it for me for 1 year. The price for getting the one with
internal lighting is $150 more than the one that I can order without lighting.
Normally I would prefer the internal lighting, except I have UMA EL light
bezels installed already. So it comes down to should I pay $150 more and get
the internal lit unit which could be shipped out right away or do I wait
up to three weeks for an un-lit unit?
Old September 5th 04, 01:31 PM
Doug Vetter

Chad Lemmen wrote:
I'm going to buy a new R.C. Allen electric horizon gyro to replace the
co-pilot's vacuum gyro. I'm trying to decide if I want to get internal
lighting or not. ipped out right away or do I wait
up to three weeks for an un-lit unit?

snip

Chad,

I avoid instruments with internal lighting, as it is easier (and less
expensive) to light them with indcandescent or electroluminescent light
"rings" that can be placed on the face the instrument before it's
installed. Lighting instruments in this manner produces a far more
consistent light, both in terms of color temperature and intensity.

In the case of EL lighting, you avoid the need to change bulbs. The
inverter may fail, leaving you without lights on the affected
instrument(s), but that's why you don't put 12 instruments on one
inverter. And, when it does fail, it's a hell of a lot less expensive
to replace the inverter vs. remove 6+ instruments and replace the light
rings.

The Gyro House has a internally lit unit p/n RCA26BK-9 in stock and
will set it to a 8 degree panel tilt for me, but they said that will
void the 1 year factory warranty, but they will then warranty it for
me for 1 year.

snip

Unless you know for sure that the gyro has been on the shelf for less
than a month, I personally wouldn't touch it.

Gyros that sit for a surpringly short time go bad, and when they do, the
manufacturer won't ship you a new one -- they'll either overhaul that
one (with a 1+ week turnaround) or offer to send you a remanufactured
(overhauled) unit. Oh, and they won't pay for the labor to R&R it,
either. You will have paid for a new gyro and received a overhauled unit.

My suggestion - custom order a non-illuminated unit and (if your panel
lighting situation demands it) install some ring lighting. I think
you'll like the result.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------
Old September 6th 04, 03:38 AM
Bushy

And I'd reccomend to add the internally lighted one and get your sparky to
wire it up (and a report to give to your "guverment man" if required) so
that you have both lighting systems available on seperate switches.

Maybe even go to the trouble of having both systems for all the instruments
you want on a partial panel! Flicking a switch on final is so much easier
than fumbling in your flight bag for that tube of metal that holds four flat
batteries!

Hope this helps,
Peter