Garmin 196 - any thoughts?

Old June 23rd 05, 12:41 AM
Blueskies

Default Garmin 196 - any thoughts?

Thinking about getting a used 196 - any pireps?

Old June 23rd 05, 01:14 AM

Does everything I can possibly imagine needing. Just updated software
and database.

I love mine. Period.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:33 AM
kontiki

Its a great little box for the money. Really pretty hard to
beat... easy to program and display is very readable.

When someone comes up with an approach certified GPS that
I can install in my aircraft for 5K or less I'll buy it.
Until then I'll stick with my 196 and KX155s. ENd of story.

Old June 23rd 05, 03:46 AM
John Godwin

Depends on the asking price. I bought my new at a significant discount
and I'm happy with it. Just make sure you get all accessories that
came with it new.

"Blueskies" wrote in news:yGmue.3886
:

Thinking about getting a used 196 - any pireps?

Old June 23rd 05, 05:57 AM
tony roberts

To me, it's the second best handheld available.
First is the 296.
It all depends on where you live, and how important terrain avoidance is
to you.

Tony
C-GICE

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old June 23rd 05, 11:15 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:41:18 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote:

Thinking about getting a used 196 - any pireps?

I thought about going this route before I bought my 296, and often
since I've wondered whether the grayscale screen wouldn't be a whole
lot easier to read in the air than the color one. The 296 is wonderful
to play with in the backyard, but in the Cub (with L-4 glazing) the
screen is often or usually washed out. It doesn't compare at all to
the clarity of my old Garmin III+.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 23rd 05, 11:51 PM
CryptWolf

"Blueskies" wrote in message
Thinking about getting a used 196 - any pireps?

I've owned a Garmin 196 for all of about 2 months.
It does more than I expected it would do and the grayscale
screen works fine in bright sun or with the adjustable backlight
at night.

Latest firmware version is 4.10 unless they updated it recently.
The database is updated about once a month which is more often
than any of the paper I generally have to carry.

The only bad thing I can say about the unit is that it will take you
quite a while to explore all of the features, menus and screens.
Buy an extra set of batteries and expect to spend at least a couple
evenings on the ground learning how to use it. I still don't use
mine to even half of it's potential.

Old June 24th 05, 12:43 AM
Blueskies

"CryptWolf" wrote in message
news:1119566923.dd7c384be7f15fbb3d02dd46be339d85@t eranews...

"Blueskies" wrote in message
m...
Thinking about getting a used 196 - any pireps?

I've owned a Garmin 196 for all of about 2 months.
It does more than I expected it would do and the grayscale
screen works fine in bright sun or with the adjustable backlight
at night.

Latest firmware version is 4.10 unless they updated it recently.
The database is updated about once a month which is more often
than any of the paper I generally have to carry.

The only bad thing I can say about the unit is that it will take you
quite a while to explore all of the features, menus and screens.
Buy an extra set of batteries and expect to spend at least a couple
evenings on the ground learning how to use it. I still don't use
mine to even half of it's potential.

Thanks all!