Small plane crash lands on freeway in LA area

Old June 20th 05, 02:53 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
john smith wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
The story indicates that the California Highway Patrol estimated the
Bonanza's speed at 90 mph. Wouldn't the pilot have attempted to touch
down at about 50 knots? If not, why not.

The Bo won't fly that slow without power.

When I was flying early Bonanzas, I would use 80 mph as glide speed,
power off. Touchdown was about 60 mph.

Old June 20th 05, 05:23 AM
Montblack

("RST Engineering" wrote)
[snip]
In the freeway case, I saw my opening in the lineup of cars, came across
each of them at about 80 knots at 50' agl or so and gave them a chance to
slow up, which they did. I then slowed up to 50 to hit my opening, but
didn't count on the clapped-out Datsun in the right lane going uphill with
six kids in the back at (generously) 30 mpg.

And the rest of the story ....is?

Was the Datsun Green? :-)

Montblack
Owned a used 1984 Datsun/Nissan Stanza - most of the badging on the car had
both names, since they were switching corporate identities at the time.
Always thought that was weird. It was my winter beater ..."Datsun/Nissan."

Old June 20th 05, 02:58 PM
RST Engineering

No, the Datsun was babypoop brown. The rest of the story is that I got as
far over into the left lane as I could to avoid hitting her with the strut
and took the left wing off with the bridge abutment in the center of the
freeway. Airplane began a counterclockwise roll (lift on the right wing, no
lift on the left missing wing) and completed half a roll before coming to
rest inverted on the opposite side of the freeway.

Jim

Old June 20th 05, 07:59 PM
Peter R.

George wrote:

I found several references to 1952 C35s. No As or Vs.

Oh, well. There go my journalistic career hopes.

--
Peter

Old June 20th 05, 10:20 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Skylune" wrote in message

Meanwhile, Panama City Police say a pilot flipped a Cessna plane upside
down as
he attempted an emergency landing in a gulf coast community college
parking lot Sunday.
Police say the pilot was the only person on board and was uninjured.
He was still learning to the fly the Cessna 172.
Police say he tried to land at the school after he noticed a problem with
a fuel gauge.

I HATE to respond in anyway to this troll but I doubt the troll or the
reporter got this one right.

I mean was the thought process...

"Oh no, the fuel guage says I'm out of gas. I mus land right this second."

Old June 23rd 05, 04:02 PM

Young Charles Redmond was understandably shaken, but how would he have
been "squashed like a bug" by an aluminum airplane that weighs less
than 75% of the Jeep he was driving? Just the same, I hope I never have
to attempt a dead-stick landing on a highway in traffic - too much
potential for an unhappy ending

Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
My DE just died in a plane crash Paul Tomblin Piloting 2 August 22nd 04 07:22 AM
Which plane for 5 small pax? Adam Aulick Home Built 46 August 18th 04 03:44 PM
Cell Phone in small plane Ron Home Built 1 August 6th 04 02:10 PM
Homemade plane crash Big John Home Built 9 October 17th 03 06:45 PM