Flying IFR in a glider

Old June 27th 20, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default Flying IFR in a glider

I am in Twisp, WA right now. Some of my friends got up into a wave and easily made it to 18,000’. There is no wave window right close by.
My question is can someone in a glider get an IFR clearance to go above 180? Assuming they have an Instrument rating and the glider is appropriately equipped.
Old June 27th 20, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A controller can't approve such a request without sticking their neck way out.

Get in touch with the facility (Seattle Center?) and work out a window. You can use other LOAs to make a draft. Window should be clear of both low- and high-altitude airways if possible.
Old June 27th 20, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 4:28:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
A controller can't approve such a request without sticking their neck way out.

Get in touch with the facility (Seattle Center?) and work out a window. You can use other LOAs to make a draft. Window should be clear of both low- and high-altitude airways if possible.

He would need to contact the Spokane FSDO.

Tom
Old June 27th 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Never seen a wave LOA that had anything to do with FSDO. ATC and operator are the signatories.
Old June 28th 20, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Why would a controller be sticking his neck out? If the glider is IFR equipped (very few are) and the pilot is IFR rated and current, why would an IFR flight not be permitted?
Old June 28th 20, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Gordon Boettger has made several long cross country flights in class A
airspace. Here's one:
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=5835349

Also a number of wave XC flights up and down the Owens Valley.
South of Bishop, they have a LOA to use the R2508 restricted area
https://www.edwards.af.mil/About/R-2508/
but to the north they fly with a clearance in class A.
Some of Dennis Tito's flights were like this:
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....t=olc&pi=45222

Tom
Old June 28th 20, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Yeah I don’t see any rule against it. I might set up my glider for IFR. Seems like the chances to go above 180 are usually happenstance without a wave window close by.
Old June 28th 20, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you file a flight plan in advance (GLID is the type) to a destination with an enroute delay at an easily-defined location that is clear of established routes, have at it.

The distance flights mentioned were coordinated with ATC in advance.