OSH Sleeping

Old July 15th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Default OSH Sleeping

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I've learned to leave the sleeping bag at home. My sleeping gear is a
Thermarest, covered with a "sock" I custom made from an old sheet. Kelly
has the identical set-up, and we bring two top sheets and two lightweight
fleece blankets to go over us. This is a lightweight set-up and allows us
to add or subtract layers to suit the conditions. Also, it eliminates the
bother of a sleeping bag. I flip and flop several times a night, and find a
sleeping bag confining.

Open the sleeping bag up and us it as a blanket.
Sleep on top of it to keep from sticking to the pad.
Your sheet sounds like a youth hostel sleeping sack.
I have a polyester one that adds 10-degrees F of warmth to the sleeping
bag.
Old July 16th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Open the sleeping bag up and us it as a blanket.
Sleep on top of it to keep from sticking to the pad.
Your sheet sounds like a youth hostel sleeping sack.
I have a polyester one that adds 10-degrees F of warmth to the sleeping
bag.

Yep, we learned years ago to bring two sets of cotton sheets to OSH, and lay
those between you and the sleeping bag.

There are very few things less comfortable than laying on polyester on a hot
summer night.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 16th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gene Seibel

On Jul 12, 6:41*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I like camping by the plane. I suggest a good blackout mask and good ear
plugs.

Yep. *Especially if you get parked near the road, you *will* need the ear
plugs. *They make a world of difference.

The eye mask is useful if (a) you're parked near bright lights, or (b) you
are foolish enough to waste valuable plane-gawking time trying to sleep
during the day at OSH!

A plane starting up at 7am just outside your tent is an
adventure.......
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html
Old July 16th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

The eye mask is useful if (a) you're parked near bright lights, or (b) you
are foolish enough to waste valuable plane-gawking time trying to sleep
during the day at OSH!

A plane starting up at 7am just outside your tent is an
adventure.......

I'm never able to sleep late at OSH. In the old days, it was one of the
babies crying at oh-dark-thirty. Later, it was the little kids, with their
endless energy. ("Daddy, daddy, daddy! Let's go see the Warbirds!" --
before the sun is up...) Then it was lack of bladder capacity after a night
of drinking adult beverages.

Throw in a B-25 taking off low over your tent at 7 AM (or earlier, rules be
damned), and you've got the recipe for a week of sleep deprivation.

God help me, I love it so...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 16th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article
,
Gene Seibel wrote:

A plane starting up at 7am just outside your tent is an
adventure.......

Only if it is a round engined radial or a Merlin.

Two or three years ago the North Forty was awakened by a B-25 taking
off the west, followed immediately by two P-51's departing to the east.
Best alarm clock I every heard!
Old July 17th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

What happened to the yodeler?

Alas, he died.

Of course, in the North 40, we were usually too far away to hear him very
well unless the wind was calm, or out of the East. It was a haunting
sound, for sure, that awakened us many mornings.

I thought they were auditioning new yodelers, a few years back -- but I
never heard if they ever found another one...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 19th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Gene Seibel wrote:
On Jul 12, 6:41 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

I like camping by the plane. I suggest a good blackout mask and good ear
plugs.

Yep. Especially if you get parked near the road, you *will* need the ear
plugs. They make a world of difference.

The eye mask is useful if (a) you're parked near bright lights, or (b) you
are foolish enough to waste valuable plane-gawking time trying to sleep
during the day at OSH!

A plane starting up at 7am just outside your tent is an
adventure.......
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html
Because we fly, we envy no one.

One year we were camping off the end of the ultralight runway (a very
good alarm clock) and were quite dismayed when we slept in until 10! (it
was IFR). That damned alarm clock we depended on didn't go off!

Margy
Old July 23rd 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Jay Honeck wrote:
I like camping by the plane. I suggest a good blackout mask and good
ear plugs.

Yep. Especially if you get parked near the road, you *will* need the
ear plugs. They make a world of difference.

The eye mask is useful if (a) you're parked near bright lights, or (b)
you are foolish enough to waste valuable plane-gawking time trying to
sleep during the day at OSH!

:-)

I second the ear plugs if you happen to be along the fence over by Friar
Tucks. Every morning last year there was at least one yahoo who
apparently found humor in laying on his horn as he drove past at about
5AM. Not to mention the overnight truck traffic. Still, I wouldn't
trade the camping experience away.
Old August 4th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Ray Andraka wrote:

I second the ear plugs if you happen to be along the fence over by Friar
Tucks. Every morning last year there was at least one yahoo who
apparently found humor in laying on his horn as he drove past at about
5AM. Not to mention the overnight truck traffic. Still, I wouldn't
trade the camping experience away.

Hey I resemble that remark... But it was after 5am... ;-)