George Applebay

Old April 6th 15, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Hill[_2_]

Default George Applebay

Soaring legend and Hall of Fame member George Applebay passed away this morning April 6th. George wouild have turned 90 years old on June 12th. A memorial service will be held at the US SW Soaring Museum 918 Historic Route 66 Moriarty, NM 87035 at 11:00 am on Saturday, April 11th.
Old April 7th 15, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Thanks for the notice. I was fortunate to have met George and coresponded with him for a period of time. Many of the greats have passed on thank you George for being you.
Old April 7th 15, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Sitting here crying... What a wonderful man he was.

--
Dan Marotta

Old April 7th 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 12:50:26 PM UTC-7, Steve Hill wrote:
Soaring legend and Hall of Fame member George Applebay passed away this morning April 6th. George wouild have turned 90 years old on June 12th. A memorial service will be held at the US SW Soaring Museum 918 Historic Route 66 Moriarty, NM 87035 at 11:00 am on Saturday, April 11th.

A true loss to his family, the town of Moriarity, and the soaring community.. George was such an icon, and a great guy.
Old April 7th 15, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 4/6/2015 1:50 PM, Steve Hill wrote:
Soaring legend and Hall of Fame member George Applebay passed away this
morning April 6th. George wouild have turned 90 years old on June 12th. A
memorial service will be held at the US SW Soaring Museum 918 Historic
Route 66 Moriarty, NM 87035 at 11:00 am on Saturday, April 11th.

Sincere "Thank you!" for posting this deeply saddening information. I was
favorably impressed upon first having occasion (thanks to owning one of his
creations) to interact with, and subsequently meet, George, and over the next
2+ decades as I got to know him better, I continued to gain ever-deepening
appreciation, respect and (yes) love for a thoroughly decent, talented,
creative and quietly inspirational human being. I consider my life distinctly
richer for having had the opportunity to get to know and interact with the
man. I considered him a friend, despite seeing him probably less than 15 times
over that period. RIP, George.

My thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

Bob W.
Old April 7th 15, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 1:50:26 PM UTC-6, Steve Hill wrote:
Soaring legend and Hall of Fame member George Applebay passed away this morning April 6th. George wouild have turned 90 years old on June 12th. A memorial service will be held at the US SW Soaring Museum 918 Historic Route 66 Moriarty, NM 87035 at 11:00 am on Saturday, April 11th.

Thanks Steve.

George was a truly remarkable person, who retained the wonder of discovery that is normally possessed in childhood and then lost by many, if not most.

And a solid drive and commitment necessary to achieve lofty goals... without the negative traits that normally are part and parcel.

All said, he was a very, very fine human being who thought and wished well of everyone. He did so much to promote soaring in its many manifestations.

I'll see you Saturday,

Gary Osoba
Old April 7th 15, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_11_]

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 2:50:26 PM UTC-5, Steve Hill wrote:
Soaring legend and Hall of Fame member George Applebay passed away this morning April 6th. George wouild have turned 90 years old on June 12th. A memorial service will be held at the US SW Soaring Museum 918 Historic Route 66 Moriarty, NM 87035 at 11:00 am on Saturday, April 11th.

Thank you for alerting us Steve. Very sad here in Dallas, Tx, but feeling truly blessed to have had George in my life for a great many wonderful experiences with him in the shop and elsewhere around the airport. From our first encounter with him due to a broken Libelle canopy, through many, many hours spent learning to maintain a S10-VT, to seeing his museum rise from the desert based on his will and the love of others for him, George was a treasure.

Always true gentleman and friend, the soaring world has lost a true great!

Tim McAllister EY
Old April 7th 15, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

My condolences to the family.

George was an early motivator in my quest for designing and building sailplanes. I'll always remember his helpfulness and enthusiasm towards me when I called him out of the blue one day and talked his ear off about designing sailplanes.

Blue Skies George!

Brad
Old April 7th 15, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wow, what a tremendous loss to his family, Fidel, and the soaring community! Please convey our condolences. He will be sorely missed.

Cliff & Rose
CH & crew
Old April 7th 15, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg

I met George for the first time while flying at Moriarity last summer. I made a special effort to seek him out as I very much wanted to meet this legend of the Soaring community. After some hunting around the various hangers I found him completely focused cutting out a newly formed canopy he had just made. When he had finished, he took the time to explain the entire process to me from raw plexi to finished product. I learned so very much in just a short time. He then asked me to sit with him for a while and to my astonishment he wanted to know about me, where I was from and about my soaring. All I really wanted to do was learn more about him but that was just not his way. I was so honored by this kind and humble man taking the time for me, an uninvited guest to his shop, it is one of the most treasured events of all my soaring experiences. Although I only briefly knew him I feel a great loss both personally and to the soaring community.