Any fliers?

Old June 5th 04, 06:22 PM
Ron

I was looking at my granddads records when he flew the D at Ellsworth, and
once
he had 5 refuelings without a disconnect. Seeing as that is at least 20 min
each time, seems like not a bad achievement at all

"Disconnect"???? You mean like unintentionally before completing your
onload? Only acceptable with probe/drogue and then not very often.

I meant consecutive refuelings without a disconnect in the middle of it. I
guess what i was reading
implied it happened more, and listed some of the wings Buff pilots and how many
consecutive refuelings
they had done. Maybe times have changed, or possibly misread it, but I am
pretty sure that is what it was.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)
Silver City Tanker Base

Old June 5th 04, 06:25 PM
Ron

Ron wrote:

Did you know who Tony Kern was from an earlier conversation on here?

No. Who is he?

Figured you probably had heard, since he was in the bomber community and wrote
the "Darker Shade of Grey", "Rogue Pilots", both of which I think had quite a
bit about Bud Holland.

He also wrote about airtanker pilots in his rogue pilots book, and apparently
he does not have the highest opinion of those involved in the aerial side of
wildland firefighting. And now that is the national aviation officer for the
USFS, tanker contracts were cancelled last month.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)
Silver City Tanker Base

Old June 6th 04, 12:05 AM
SteveM8597

16 days of vomitig in zero g? Plus teh associated side effects of
dehydraion, using the toilet while in zero and so on - I'd guess it
could be pretty damn bad!

Sounds like what I went through for three years while on dialysis and later
with the transplant medications but at 1g.

Still I would have to rate wearing the poopy suit for 6-12 hours and not being
able to stand or stretch as a close second. The poopy suit is pretty much the
same thing as the suit that divers wear to go into sub freezing water.
Absolutely miserable.

Steve M
Old June 6th 04, 02:41 AM
BUFDRVR

Ron wrote:

Maybe times have changed, or possibly misread it, but I am
pretty sure that is what it was

No Ron, you were right. Ed was, I'm sure, being sarcastically flipant. Getting
inadvertant disconnects in any bomber, but particularly in a B-52 is not rare,
particularly at night or in adverse weather. By the time you're a well seasoned
Aircraft Commander, your inadvertant disconnects during good weather and
daylight are almost non-existant...so then you begin doing "limits", that is
intentionally maneuvering the jet within 2-3 feet of the automatic disconnect
limits.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old June 7th 04, 04:03 AM
Mary Shafer

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:31:44 -0700, "Jim Baker"
wrote:

Tony Kern and I were instructor pilots in the Bone schoolhouse in 1991.
Last I talked to him, about 6 or so months ago, he was the head of aircraft
ops for the Forest Service. Probly why you know the name eh? :-)

Did you know a guy named "Tom" Turley? He flew BUFFs in SEA et seq.

Mary

Old June 7th 04, 01:48 PM
BUFDRVR

Mary Shafer wrote:

I guess you folks in the heavy metal will have to wear elastic
stockings to ward off DVT.

I think I'll take my chances with DVT

I assume the ECS in the BUFF is good enough that you're not going to
try out the ice-water vests that NASCAR drivers use.

They would be very useful for ground ops at Barksdale, Andersen or Diego
Garcia, but I don't think we've got money to spare to keep you cool on the
ground.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"