Why would an RAF pilot become a USAAC co-pilot?

Old February 12th 04, 02:37 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 11 Feb 2004 16:25:07 -0800, (Eunometic)
wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote in message . ..

Since ground based guns have a finite time-of-flight, the lead
solution can be quite a distance. Continual random changes of heading
and altitude can very easily spoil the solution. Shorter time of
flight requires more aggressive maneuver. Be sure to understand
whether you are dealing with aimed or barrage fire from the flak guns.
If aimed fire, then jink. If barrage fire, continue straight through
the barrage sector in the shortest period of time.

How do you tell the difference?

Unfortunately, the only method I ever developed was observation. If
the puff balls are filling a block of sky, you're probably dealing
with barrage. If the puffies are walking up your tail or converging on
your nose, it's probably aimed fire.

Black, big puffs equal 85mm or larger. White or gray equals 37/57mm.
Yellow-orange tracer streams, looking like a fire hose means 23mm ZPU
or ZU. All mean increased heartrates.

We learned two very surprising things: One was that we could see the
echo from the shells as they left the gun and watch as they climbed
toward the target. The most startling thing was the slow upward
progress of a shell on our scopes. It took what seemed to be an
infinitely long time and gave plenty of opportunity for the airplane
to move out of the way. There was much surprise that we could see a
shell at all. But of course the rear diameter of these 90-millimeter
shells wasn't so different from the 10 centimeter S-band that we were
aiming at the back end of the shell on its way up to the airplane.

I recall one day cruising in a four-ship spread of F-105s near Vinh at
20,000 feet. No SAM threat at the time. Spotted a battery of 85mm on
the ground firing. Eased into a 30 degree left bank for about fifteen
seconds. Almost 20 seconds later the dozen or so black puff balls
erupted right along our previous route of flight. Nothing violent in
jinking, just an easy turn to change the end-game.

I recount a tale of seeing 85mm in flight over Cam Pha in "When
Thunder Rolled." Impressive!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old February 18th 04, 03:25 AM
Tosser

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
"ArtKramr" wrote

That is what I thought. But he never made it to the left seat.

Maybe something else, probably something the squadron or wing
commander knew that no one else did (whole person concept).

Might have been medical -- but they didn't want to lose him altogether because
of his experience ...