Roster of USN ships in S Asia relief effort ?

Old January 5th 05, 07:42 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" wrote:

...Certainly some Blackhawks have been
shown (at Banda Aceh). Unfortunately the pointy-end
reporter seem to be using video-phones with jerky
updates and pixelation artefacts - so it's hard to
discern unit identifiers - particularly as 'all-the-world'
has gone down the tone-down route.
[I'm well aware that lots may be happening behind or round-
the-corner from the reporters' camerafolk}

They are Seahawks, and the unit is HS-2 (my alma mater).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4142047.stm

Thanks for the URL and the identification of the unit/aircraft.
At the time I posted my input, SkyNews was reporting the
removal of the B373 off the runway and only showing a
line of ????Hawks from their rear aspect. - The impression
given by the reporter was that these were USMC aircraft.

That's the "World Famous" Golden Falcons emblem on the front of the
helo...but even not seeing that, the U.S. flag aft of the cargo door is
a giveaway, as HS-2 is, I believe, the only squadron in the USN
authorized to have it painted on their aircraft.

Interestingly, the aircraft depicted in your URL was not _toned down_
its bearing a red-blue-white USAF symbol, the flag is fully chromatic
and the unit badge is, as you say, definitely Golden; yet its got the basic
toned-down grey hull.
Does HS-2 march to the sound of its own drum?
Haven't I seen the full-colo(u)r US National flag on the outside of
other USAF aircraft - albeit normally on the tail?

It's not a USAF helo or a USAF symbol; it's a USN helo with a US flag.

I'm not sure of the history of how it came to be that HS-2 is the only
USN squadron allowed to have the US flag on the sides of it's
aircraft...but we were always proud of it.

Back to the discussion. When I joined HS-2 in early 1984, we flew
SH-3H's which were all white with chromatic markings. It wasn't until
late 1986/early 1987 that the Navy (or at least our air wing, CVW-9)
started painting its aircraft tactical gray. After that, all our
markings (including US flag and squadron logo) were shades of gray.

I got out of HS-2 at the end of '87, to be a reserve in the now-defunct
augmentation squadron, HS-0246. We flew the HS-10's (West Coast HS RAG)
aircraft, so when they transitioned to the SH-60F around 1989, so did
we. HS-2 was the first fleet HS squadron to get the SH-60F in 1990 or
1991. At that time, all their SH-60F's were tactical gray only (just
like their SH-3H's before them).

My guess is that since maritime camouflage s not an issue and they are
on a world stage (I've seen interviews and video/still images of several
HS-2 squadron members in the last week) that they want or were directed
to colorize the flag and squadron logo.

Here's another bit of HS-2 trivia: their call sign is "Hurricane
Hunter." They got it during the 70's when they assisted in relief
efforts for another natural disaster (hurricane) in the U.S.

--Mike

--Mike
Old January 6th 05, 05:11 AM
Jim Carriere

Michael Wise wrote:
My guess is that since maritime camouflage s not an issue and they are
on a world stage (I've seen interviews and video/still images of several
HS-2 squadron members in the last week) that they want or were directed
to colorize the flag and squadron logo.

Michael, all of the USN HSL squadrons have one aircraft with at least
some color paint (some are more artistic than others), all the other
aircraft are all gray. My guess is the HS squadrons (and probably
all the helo squadrons) do the same thing.

And speaking of the airlift effort, I saw an SH-60B in one of the
pictures. Those have almost zero cargo capability- to give you an
idea, removing the sono launcher pretty much doubles the useful
internal cargo room. I guess any added capability in the overall
effort is a good thing though.

Old January 6th 05, 06:53 AM
Yofuri

Brian Sharrock wrote:
snip

That's the "World Famous" Golden Falcons emblem on the front of the
helo...but even not seeing that, the U.S. flag aft of the cargo door is
a giveaway, as HS-2 is, I believe, the only squadron in the USN
authorized to have it painted on their aircraft.

Interestingly, the aircraft depicted in your URL was not _toned down_
its bearing a red-blue-white USAF symbol, the flag is fully chromatic
and the unit badge is, as you say, definitely Golden; yet its got the basic
toned-down grey hull. Does HS-2 march to the sound of its own drum?
Haven't I seen the full-colo(u)r US National flag on the outside of
other USAF aircraft - albeit normally on the tail?

Way after my watch, but:

"In 1970, HS-2 was the first helicopter squadron to travel across the
United States for deployment on a ship from the other coast. In that
year, the squadron participated in operations with U.S. Forces
responding to the Jordanian Crisis. HS-2 was directed to prepare to go
into Amman, Jordan and also provide Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) for
the Battle Group. It was during the same year that the American flag was
painted on the helicopters. The flag was painted on the aircraft
overnight so the helicopter could be distinguished from the Israeli
H-3’s, which might also be operating in the combat zone. To commemorate
the event, the Chief of Naval Operations authorized the American flag to
become a permanent part of HS-2’s paint scheme. As a result of its
superior performance during that period, the squadron was awarded the
Navy Unit Commendation."

From: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../navy/hs-2.htm

Rick Yount
HS-2
1958-1960
Old January 6th 05, 07:43 AM
Michael Wise

In article ,
Jim Carriere wrote:

My guess is that since maritime camouflage s not an issue and they are
on a world stage (I've seen interviews and video/still images of several
HS-2 squadron members in the last week) that they want or were directed
to colorize the flag and squadron logo.

Michael, all of the USN HSL squadrons have one aircraft with at least
some color paint (some are more artistic than others), all the other
aircraft are all gray. My guess is the HS squadrons (and probably
all the helo squadrons) do the same thing.

Makes sense. I can't recall whether or not we were doing that in HS-2 in
the 80's.

And speaking of the airlift effort, I saw an SH-60B in one of the
pictures. Those have almost zero cargo capability- to give you an
idea, removing the sono launcher pretty much doubles the useful
internal cargo room. I guess any added capability in the overall
effort is a good thing though.

One thing's for sure; there's going to be a lot of crews on the fast
track to their Sikorsky 1000, 2000, etc. hours pins.

--Mike
Old January 6th 05, 08:21 AM
Guy Alcala

Michael Wise wrote:

In article ,
Jim Carriere wrote:

[...]

I'd assume they must have pulled the sonar transducers/winches and probably most
oftheconsoles during the transit. I have seen what appeared to be a few MH-60s
(at least, they were gray H-60s with Blackhawk landing gear). Which reminds me,
the Commander of PACOM (what used to be called CINCPAC) said in a briefing
yesterday that the LSD Fort McHenry was bringing six more helos from Okinawa
(presumably USM)(, while the Niagara Falls, T-AFS-3, was bringing some more,
presumablyher assigned vertrep helos, from Guam. also, itwas stated that the
catamaran WestPac Express had been loaded with helos (type unstated) at Okinawa
and was on the way.

Guy

Old January 6th 05, 08:23 AM
Brian Sharrock

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
Michael Wise wrote:
My guess is that since maritime camouflage s not an issue and they are
on a world stage (I've seen interviews and video/still images of several
HS-2 squadron members in the last week) that they want or were directed
to colorize the flag and squadron logo.

Michael, all of the USN HSL squadrons have one aircraft with at least
some color paint (some are more artistic than others), all the other
aircraft are all gray. My guess is the HS squadrons (and probably
all the helo squadrons) do the same thing.

Interesting, ... would the 'one aircraft with at least some color paint'
be the OC's barge (reading this is smn)?

--

Brian

Old January 6th 05, 12:51 PM

----------
In article , Jim Carriere
wrote:

Michael, all of the USN HSL squadrons have one aircraft with at least
some color paint (some are more artistic than others), all the other

I think that the Navy has missed a small opportunity here. Before they
arrived, they should have painted a bright American flag on the side of
every helo so that the people knew where the relief was coming from.

Old January 6th 05, 06:22 PM
Jack Linthicum

There are specialty "rough terrain" forklifts, we used them multiple
years ago on pipelines and I would assume the product is still
available.

Old January 6th 05, 07:14 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Jack Linthicum wrote:

There are specialty "rough terrain" forklifts, we used them multiple
years ago on pipelines and I would assume the product is still
available.

RTFLs are part of every CS medium battery, sapper field squadrons have
them too, and they are found in the supply chain at bulk breaking
points and the like.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 6th 05, 07:39 PM
Guy Alcala

Jack Linthicum wrote:

There are specialty "rough terrain" forklifts, we used them multiple
years ago on pipelines and I would assume the product is still
available.

That's what the USMC TRAMs are.

Guy