Ancient VOR Transmitter ??

Old January 23rd 05, 05:59 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
oups.com...

I recently received this large single-frequency transmitter
from an elderly gentleman who used to be a ham radio operator.

I have not been able to pin down exactly what it is. Some
folks have given the opinion that it may be an old VOR transmitter.

I'm wondering if someone can identify it? Give a date range?
or any other information?

pictures:
http://www.yipyap.com/radio_stuff/VOR/index.htm

I know little about electronics, but this equipment looks older than VOR to
me.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:14 PM
Icebound

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently received this large single-frequency transmitter
from an elderly gentleman who used to be a ham radio operator.

I have not been able to pin down exactly what it is. Some
folks have given the opinion that it may be an old VOR transmitter.

I'm wondering if someone can identify it? Give a date range?
or any other information?

It looks suspiciously like just another standard government-issue HF
transmitter which we used for point-to-point voice (and CW Morse code)
communication in the Arctic prior to 1965 (and it looked "old" even back
then... at the time I was under the impression that it was WW-II surplus).
Using frequencies in the 4 to 6 MHz range. The physical look was certainly
similar... but I do not recall all the details, such the coil and tube
detail that your pictures show...

It is possible that this gentleman obtained one as surplus and converted it
to work within one of the 40, 80 or 160 meter HF amateur bands???...
possibly even 20 or 15 metres???

From the size of the coils, I doubt very much that it would be a VHF rig of
any type, including VOR.

If not HF (as I believe), it would probably be MF or LF: either an NDB, or a
carrier-provider for FSK teletype. Both were often rigged for voice
modulation which was often used to provide the equivalent of ATIS (only
live, and just once every half hour...you had to catch it). Also, where
aircraft had difficulty reading HF transmissions, the ground station might
use the beacon to reply to an HF call in the hope that the a/c could read
that.

-----

We called it by a short alpha-plus-numeric model identification, something
like *AS8* or so, but I do not recall exactly.

Ours were set up to run at a remote location at the antenna farm. The
microphone jack was not used... the operator's desk would be some miles away
and the remote push-to-talk and audio lines were wired in directly.
(Receivers were also similarly remote several miles in the other direction.
On good days, the HF skip was such that we could hear our contact several
hundred miles away, better than we could hear our own transmitter.)

The main AC power switch is in the lower part of the front panel. When one
our these units was particularly cantankerous for the umpteenth time, I
recall our technician angrily turning it "off" with his foot, with
sufficient force so that it never worked again.

There are collectors of such stuff, and in working order it is probably
worth something substantial. Maybe even if not in working order.

Old January 24th 05, 06:43 AM
Spockstuto

Don't laugh but the FAA has stuff this old still out in the system.
A lot of NDB sites still use ancient equipment.

wrote:
I recently received this large single-frequency transmitter
from an elderly gentleman who used to be a ham radio operator.

I have not been able to pin down exactly what it is. Some
folks have given the opinion that it may be an old VOR transmitter.

I'm wondering if someone can identify it? Give a date range?
or any other information?

pictures:
http://www.yipyap.com/radio_stuff/VOR/index.htm

Chris

p.s. I know some of the pictures are fuzzy. I'll cull them out.
Thanks!

Old January 24th 05, 03:14 PM
William W. Plummer

Could it be an old OMEGA system. That was decommissioned only about 5
years ago. As I understand it, this was the original radio navigation
system for airplanes know as "Highways in the Skies". It was low
frequency. The pilot would listen to the selected frequency and hear a
steady tone if he was right on the highway, or di-dah ("A") if on one
side or dah-dit ("N") on the other.

Just a guess.

Old January 24th 05, 03:30 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Could it be an old OMEGA system. That was decommissioned only about 5
years ago. As I understand it, this was the original radio navigation
system for airplanes know as "Highways in the Skies". It was low
frequency. The pilot would listen to the selected frequency and hear a
steady tone if he was right on the highway, or di-dah ("A") if on one
side or dah-dit ("N") on the other.

I think you're talking about the old 4-course airways. OMEGA was a
hyperbolic radio navigation system (in some ways similar to LORAN). It
was used by both aircraft and ships for trans-oceanic navigation, with a
fix accuracy of about 4 nm (you can do better with a sextant).

There were only 8 transmitters in the world (and the one in the US is
still in use for other purposes), so it seems unlikely that much surplus
equipment would be available. Transmission was in the 10 kHz band.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~jproc/hyperbolic/omega.html
Old January 24th 05, 03:46 PM
William W. Plummer

OK, Roy. Here's another far out guess.

Back in the late '40s I remember chiropractors using a "diathermy"
machine. I believe this would use RF energy to induce heat in the
patient's muscles. We got a TV set in 1948 and started getting lots of
interference which was subsequently traced to the diathermy machine in
town about 1 half mile away. I never saw it, but I understand it was
impressive and would have been admired by Frankenstein.

http://www.medtronic.com/activa/phys...my_safety.html

Old January 24th 05, 05:00 PM
Icebound

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"William W. Plummer" wrote:

... That was decommissioned only about 5
years ago. As I understand it, this was the original radio navigation
system for airplanes know as "Highways in the Skies". It was low
frequency. The pilot would listen to the selected frequency and hear a
steady tone if he was right on the highway, or di-dah ("A") if on one
side or dah-dit ("N") on the other.

I think you're talking about the old 4-course airways. ...

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Lorenz%20SYR%2044.htm

.... technically "4-course radio range"...and they were decommissioned as
soon as VORs and ADF receivers became prevalent. In Canada that was the
early-to-mid 1960's, with the possible exception of some isolated relic.

Anything is possible, but I don't think the OP picture is one of those.

Interesting to note, that even then (and how accurately could a course have
been followed???).... even then pilots were encouraged to fly
right-of-course to avoid meeting someone else "on course":
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ndb-nav-history.htm

Old January 31st 05, 07:16 PM
Icebound

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently received this large single-frequency transmitter
from an elderly gentleman who used to be a ham radio operator.

I have found only one technician who worked on similar equipment in the
1950s-60s

His guess is a WW2 vintage, standard VHF transmitter.... probably in the
aviation band which a Radio Amateur may have been able to convert to work on
the 2 metre HAM band.

Old February 1st 05, 12:19 AM
Don Tuite

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:16:02 -0500, "Icebound"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I recently received this large single-frequency transmitter
from an elderly gentleman who used to be a ham radio operator.

I have found only one technician who worked on similar equipment in the
1950s-60s

His guess is a WW2 vintage, standard VHF transmitter.... probably in the
aviation band which a Radio Amateur may have been able to convert to work on
the 2 metre HAM band.

The earth-bound counterpart to the BC-229?

Don