who here works for Garmin Inc?

Old July 4th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default who here works for Garmin Inc?

what are they (if anything) "rolling out"
@ OSH this year? Anything exciting?
Any upgrades to the 396 I should know
about b4 purchasing?......thanx!!!

richard
colorado
c172rg / 2V2

Old July 4th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Dunno about exciting, but I just downloaded the latest operating system
yesterday on the 296, ver 4.2, and then down loaded a fresh database...
Upon restart the box cheerfully announced that it has NO terrain
database to be found... hmmm, durned gremlins...

Called Garmin, the tech allowed as how he had never heard of that
one... We downloaded a fresh $150 terrain database on Garmin's nickle
and all is well in Mudville tonight... Ya gotta be careful when you
depend upon boxes that run on magic smoke... If the magic leaks out on
a dark and stormy night you are in trouble...

denny

Old July 4th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns

Or in IMC.... on our trip back from Michigan I needed to shoot the GPS 3
into STE, so I loaded it up in the KLN94 and thought I'd follow along on my
FlightPrep system on my laptop. So I switched from the XM weather page to
the approach plate but was still too far out for the little magic airplane
to appear on the plate. Ok, switch back to the XM weather just to make sure
we'd be on the north side of the approaching thunderstorms, yep, plenty of
room to get around them... switch back to the approach plate.....

You guessed it.... crash... darn Microsoft... so I had to put the toys
away, get serious, and fly the approach "for real". So, until the plates
come in an affordable panel mount system, there will always be paper in my
airplane.

Jim

oups.com...

Old July 4th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

Or in IMC.... on our trip back from Michigan I needed to shoot the GPS 3
into STE, so I loaded it up in the KLN94 and thought I'd follow along on my
FlightPrep system on my laptop. So I switched from the XM weather page to
the approach plate but was still too far out for the little magic airplane
to appear on the plate. Ok, switch back to the XM weather just to make sure
we'd be on the north side of the approaching thunderstorms, yep, plenty of
room to get around them... switch back to the approach plate.....

You guessed it.... crash... darn Microsoft... so I had to put the toys
away, get serious, and fly the approach "for real". So, until the plates
come in an affordable panel mount system, there will always be paper in my
airplane.

Though I'm not Windows fan, I believe that Avidyne and others use
Windows as the foundation for their avionics systems. However, they
strip out all of the junk that normally accumulates on a PC and are left
with a fairly stable (and hardened) system. I suspect that you could
approach that level of reliability if you did the same--stripped the
system of everything but the FlightPrep, WxWorx, etc. But then, that
would remove most of the non-aviation utility from the system.

JKG
Old July 5th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Though I'm not Windows fan, I believe that Avidyne and others use
Windows as the foundation for their avionics systems.

I don't believe that Avidyne uses windows in any form for their PFD
or MFD products.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 5th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Though I'm not Windows fan, I believe that Avidyne and others use
Windows as the foundation for their avionics systems.

I don't believe that Avidyne uses windows in any form for their PFD
or MFD products.

If they don't, it must have been a recent change. It has been a poorly
kept secret over the years that the Avidyne systems run a stripped-down
version of Windows. I believe the same is true for the MX20, though I'm
not sure how much for the MX20 Garmin retained in the new GMX200.

JKG
Old July 5th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Though I'm not Windows fan, I believe that Avidyne and others use
Windows as the foundation for their avionics systems.

I don't believe that Avidyne uses windows in any form for their PFD
or MFD products.

If they don't, it must have been a recent change.

It had to be when they went from simply a situational awareness display
to a PFD. No way is any certified PFD going to be running any form
of windows - you simply can't meet DO-178B Level B or Level A objectives
with windows.

It's not proof, but look at avidyne's job openings. The sw jobs want
RTOS and DO-178B experience/knowledge. Zip about windows.

It has been a poorly
kept secret over the years that the Avidyne systems run a stripped-down
version of Windows.

Hardly a secret. What is proprietary is how they got that first box with
windows certified (Level C) in the first place.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 5th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:
It had to be when they went from simply a situational awareness display
to a PFD. No way is any certified PFD going to be running any form
of windows - you simply can't meet DO-178B Level B or Level A objectives
with windows.

It's not proof, but look at avidyne's job openings. The sw jobs want
RTOS and DO-178B experience/knowledge. Zip about windows.

You're right, it's not proof. The standards you reference are
standards, not operating systems.

I'm not an operating system expert, but I don't see why the Windows
kernel couldn't be modified as required to meet whatever standards were
necessary. Companies who have these type of requirements likely have
extensive access to the source code and/or have access to the
appropriate resources at Microsoft. So I don't think it's as impossible
as you contend.

It has been a poorly
kept secret over the years that the Avidyne systems run a stripped-down
version of Windows.

Hardly a secret. What is proprietary is how they got that first box with
windows certified (Level C) in the first place.

I guess that's why I said "poorly kept secret." I don't remember
Avidyne or Apollo advertising that their system used Windows, even
though it was fairly obvious that was the case.

JKG
Old July 5th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:

I'm not an operating system expert, but I don't see why the Windows
kernel couldn't be modified as required to meet whatever standards were
necessary. Companies who have these type of requirements likely have
extensive access to the source code and/or have access to the
appropriate resources at Microsoft. So I don't think it's as impossible
as you contend.

I'm not an OS expert either, but I considerable experience with the relevant
certification requirements. Windows, like pretty much any COTS OS, would require
so much modification that it would cease to be windows. And I doubt that
microsoft would expose themselves to the potential liability.

Hardly a secret. What is proprietary is how they got that first box with
windows certified (Level C) in the first place.

I guess that's why I said "poorly kept secret." I don't remember
Avidyne or Apollo advertising that their system used Windows, even
though it was fairly obvious that was the case.

iirc, Avidyne did. In any case, the people at Avidyne that I've meet were
open about it being windows-based. They wouldn't say how they achieved
compliance with 178B Level C objectives however.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the