ASW 15 and concerns

Old April 12th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW 15 and concerns

Hello all,
Possible purchase of ASW 15....Tomorrow!
Done all the research I could, but here are a couple last minute
things.
I had someone reccommend doing a "TAP TEST" on the structure to listen
for inconsistant sounds indicating problems within. Esp. in regard to
the balsa core and the wood construction? I know all about the spar
rot thing, but what about the rest of the plane?

Also, my glider would be trailer stored, outside in humid Florida. It
only has passive ventilation. Any suggestions. I worry about the
suseptability to moisure?
Any input appreciated.
Thanks
Craig

Old April 12th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Hanson

Hello Craig,

For tap testing, a stethescope is a nice thing to have,
and it is also useful for many other applications but
you might not be able to find one on such short notice.
For humidity, besides the Nidec Solar powered vent
fans ( or equivilents, that run 24/7 and self charge
their NIMH batteries using the sun) I ran across this
little invention. I'm sure there are other units out
there as well. It's a solar powered dehumidifier. (you
will have to cut and paste the second line, this one
is too long)

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...97/solar-dehum
idifier-boat-caravan.phtml

No cheap solutions though. Good luck with your new
ship!
Paul Hanson

'Do the usual, unusually well'--Len Niemi

At 00:54 12 April 2007, wrote:
Hello all,
Possible purchase of ASW 15....Tomorrow!
Done all the research I could, but here are a couple
last minute
things.
I had someone reccommend doing a 'TAP TEST' on the
structure to listen
for inconsistant sounds indicating problems within.
Esp. in regard to
the balsa core and the wood construction? I know all
about the spar
rot thing, but what about the rest of the plane?

Also, my glider would be trailer stored, outside in
humid Florida. It
only has passive ventilation. Any suggestions. I worry
about the
suseptability to moisure?
Any input appreciated.
Thanks
Craig

Sisu 1a

Old April 12th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Craig,

If this is an ASW-15 from the Central Indiana Area you will be very
pleased. It has been very well cared for and has gotten the current
owner all of his badges. If I was not 6'2" and 220lbs I would have
bought it myself.

Tom

Old April 13th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Craig,

Tap inspection is used extensivly on composite structure from our
sailplanes to the newest Biz jets. The big difference is how hard you
need to tap! The best hammers are light aluminum on a piano wire, for
your case take a wood dowel (Pencel without an eraser) and bounce it
on the surface (in a pinch the edge of a quarter works well). You
will hear a dull sound if there is any disbond between the skin and
core. Try to find an area like the spar where you have a transition
and listen to the chenge in sound, this will give you the idea. With
experiance this is a very good test, but it is best to have some
experinace on a know structue with flaws. If you have a major concern
find an inspector who has experinace with an ultrasound unit. In
areas that do not have core (or a thin core) wait until night and put
a bright light behind the structure. If an area is damaged (Disbond
in the layup) you will see a shadow. Paint and filler complicate this
inspection.

Harry L. Clayton
Sr. Research Engineer NIAR

..

Old April 14th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom wrote:
If this is an ASW-15 from the Central Indiana Area you will be very
pleased.

Yes it was and yes I am. Looking forward to flying her.
Craig