Tail Dolly Tire

Old May 18th 05, 07:11 PM
Albert Gold

Default Tail Dolly Tire

The casing of the tire on my tail dolly for my Discus B, which I suspect
dates from the time the ship was delivered to it's original owner in
1985, has split along the tread, allowing a bit of the inner tube to
bulge out. The marking on the side wall of the tire, which is of German
origin, says, "200 X 50." Can anyone tell me where I might be able to
find a suitable replacement tire?

Al

Old May 18th 05, 08:00 PM

Albert Gold wrote:
The casing of the tire on my tail dolly for my Discus B, which I

suspect
dates from the time the ship was delivered to it's original owner in
1985, has split along the tread, allowing a bit of the inner tube to
bulge out. The marking on the side wall of the tire, which is of

German
origin, says, "200 X 50." Can anyone tell me where I might be able

find a suitable replacement tire?

Al

Al,

This is a very common tail wheel size - try here first:

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page32.htm

then:

http://www.desser.com/tailwheel.html

and also, may still have good german contenental tubes:

http://store.williamssoaring.com/Mer...ory_C ode=THT

I don't like the chinese tires and tubes.. Tost heavy duty tire
superior to OEM Contenental tire.. Make sure you get the right style of
inner tube stem... Save the tube if you can.

aerodyne

Old May 19th 05, 01:14 AM
01-- Zero One

This is a somewhat common size for some of the electric scooters and
wheelchairs right now. A google search will yield many results.

Larry
"01" USA

:

Old May 19th 05, 01:40 AM

I can't recommend non-aircraft tires.

It's not a safety issue for a tailwheel, they just don't last as long.
It is not worth the time and hassle or risk of an unscheduled
replacement. Sidewall cracking on a old, quality tire can be monitored
and replacement deferred to off season in many cases. Sudden flat on
flight line is much less convienent IMO.

Old May 19th 05, 01:48 AM
Bill Daniels

I got a complete replacement wheel for my tail dolly. The wheel came from a
hospital cart. It has a solid urethane tire like the roller blade wheels we
all use for tailwheels. It is just as soft as an inflated tire with a tube
but it will never go flat.

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old May 19th 05, 06:44 AM
Bruce

Albert Gold wrote:
The casing of the tire on my tail dolly for my Discus B, which I suspect
dates from the time the ship was delivered to it's original owner in
1985, has split along the tread, allowing a bit of the inner tube to
bulge out. The marking on the side wall of the tire, which is of German
origin, says, "200 X 50." Can anyone tell me where I might be able to
find a suitable replacement tire?

Al

Standard size of a wheelchair front wheel. Very cheap usually, will have a light
grey colour usually.

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old May 19th 05, 12:33 PM
Thomas Knauff

We stock a replacement solid wheel/tire to fit the tail dolly. This
eliminates the inner tube and ends flat tail dolly tires.

--
Thomas Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies

www.eglider.org
(814) 355 2483
fax (814) 355 2633

Old May 19th 05, 01:36 PM
Bert Willing

I actually like to have an inflatable tail dolly wheel 200x50 (I think
that's a standard type) - it's the same size as my ASW20 and Calif tail
wheels, so it already came handy once :-)

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

et...

L-23 tail dolly Mark Zivley Soaring 1 November 27th 04 11:16 AM
Tail Dolly Latch Roy Bourgeois Soaring 9 July 21st 04 09:22 AM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying - resolution chris Soaring 6 October 26th 03 03:50 PM
Tail Dolly For Sale Albert Gold Soaring 0 October 15th 03 03:01 AM
The prone postion for tail gunners versus turrets. The Enlightenment Military Aviation 8 July 22nd 03 11:01 PM