Any Aztec owners/flyers in the group?

Old July 19th 04, 04:10 PM
Jim Burns

Default Any Aztec owners/flyers in the group?

Currently looking at a mid 60's Aztec C that is low time and in beautiful
shape. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with the maintenance and
problem areas of an Aztec. I already know to plan on 4 times the $$ for
maintenance of a single, I'm looking for real life experiences both good and
bad.

Thanks,

Jim Burns

---

Old July 19th 04, 05:10 PM
Kyler Laird

"Jim Burns" writes:

Currently looking at a mid 60's Aztec C that is low time and in beautiful
shape. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with the maintenance and
problem areas of an Aztec. I already know to plan on 4 times the $$ for
maintenance of a single, I'm looking for real life experiences both good and
bad.

I suggest that you be more specific - especially about what it is that you
want that hasn't already been discussed here.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=gr...n.owning+aztec

--kyler
Old July 19th 04, 06:05 PM
Jim Burns

Ok, let's start with average annual maintenance and insurance costs,
unforeseen "gotchyas" that ended up costing more than 10% of the purchase
price to fix, hydraulic power pack failures or rebuilds, cost of heater
rebuilds, cost of flap torque tube inspection or replacement, cost of
hydraulic hose replacement due to AD.

A lot of those things I can get estimates from shops on, but I'm looking for
some real world experiences such as "We had our Aztec in the shop to have
the torque tube inspected and they found this or that and we about died at
the cost of having it repaired."

Jim

Old July 21st 04, 04:08 AM
Kyler Laird

"Jim Burns" writes:

Ok, let's start with average annual maintenance and insurance costs,
unforeseen "gotchyas" that ended up costing more than 10% of the purchase
price to fix, hydraulic power pack failures or rebuilds, cost of heater
rebuilds, cost of flap torque tube inspection or replacement, cost of
hydraulic hose replacement due to AD.

I replaced my heater with one of the new ceramic core electronic
thermometer versions a couple years ago. It still doesn't work.
Hose replacement has been ongoing during our restoration.

I've overhauled the power pack but that was awhile ago. I also
had the torque tubes replaced (with steel) a couple years ago when
it was a service bulletin. I looked for the bill but haven't found
it. It was part of a bunch of other upgrades and repairs so I don't
recall the cost.

Considering that I paid "only" $25K for my C model (as "scrap"), yes,
most of these things cost more than 10% of the purchase price. I'll
look for some bills but mostly I try to forget them!

A lot of those things I can get estimates from shops on, but I'm looking for
some real world experiences such as "We had our Aztec in the shop to have
the torque tube inspected and they found this or that and we about died at
the cost of having it repaired."

Learning that our props and hubs were worthless was quite a setback.
Any *decent* inspection should uncover that though.

A C model shouldn't have corrosion thanks to the zinc chromate. I'm
not thinking of any single things that should be real killers.

--kyler
Old July 21st 04, 01:38 PM
Jim Burns

I noticed that one time you and your partner had a website about the
restoration. Any chance of that site still existing somewhere? Are you
planning on flying up to OSH?

Old July 21st 04, 03:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Jim Burns" writes:

I noticed that one time you and your partner had a website about the
restoration. Any chance of that site still existing somewhere?

http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~laird/flying/Aztec/ScottM/

Are you
planning on flying up to OSH?

Oh, I've been thinking about it. I have to be in Pennsylvania for a
(Python robotics) workshop on Aug. 2 so I'd need to try for one of
the earlier days.

Are Aztec people congregating at any special times? I don't see any
type club meeting.
http://airventure.org/2004/groups/type_clubs.html
It's time for me to see which forums I'd most like to catch...

--kyler
Old July 21st 04, 03:47 PM
Jim Burns

Oh, I've been thinking about it. I have to be in Pennsylvania for a
(Python robotics) workshop on Aug. 2 so I'd need to try for one of
the earlier days.

Are Aztec people congregating at any special times?

Not that I am aware of, but if you find out anything, please pass it my way.
Thanks again
Jim

---