Celebrity Pilots

Old February 21st 05, 11:43 PM
Matt Barrow

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mike W." wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:vRbSd.33890$tl3.31990@attbi_s02...

I know Harrison Ford and Tom Cruise are pilots, but can you list any

others?

John Travolta and Morgan freeman come to mind, I'm sure there are many
others.

A few mo

Dustin Hoffman
Mark Martin
Danny Glover
Tom Cruise
Patrick Swayze
Jack Rausch
George W. Bush
Don Rumsfeld
Tom Daschle
Warren Burger
Daniel Bloomberg
William F. Buckley
Neal Boortz
Ken Hamblin

Kenny G. (Baron)
Jimmy Buffet (owns and flys severel aircraft including a Falcon 50)
Michael Dorn (Star Trek has a JetStar (?)
Hugh Downs (News guy)
Michael Crighton
Stephen Coontz ("Flight of the Intruder" and wrote "Cannibal Queen" about
his flight to all 40 lower states in a Sterman).

Old February 21st 05, 11:44 PM
Matt Barrow

"George Patterson" wrote in message

tony roberts wrote:

His "Cannibal Queen" Stearman adventure made a great story.
Anyone know if he still has it?

Last year, I saw a list of his aircraft. The Queen was not in the list. I

don't
regard that as conclusive, but I'd bet he no longer owns it.

He doesn't - he now owns a Tri-Pacer,

Old February 21st 05, 11:46 PM
Matt Barrow

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message
Not to forget most PGA and NASCAR folks. Have to do some filtering
there because a few only own the airplanes, don't fly them.

Does Arnold Palmer still fly? According to one article, Palmer had 20,000
hours as of a couple years ago.

Old February 22nd 05, 12:42 AM
Casey Wilson

"Alan" wrote in message

I believe Coonts sold the Cannibal Queen several years ago.

Mr. Coonts said, "I am often asked if I still own the Queen, that marvelous
1942 Stearman biplane that stars in the book. Alas, Deborah and I sold her
in December, 1998, and recycled the money into other airplanes. Whenever
Deborah and I go flying these days, which is every chance we get, we go in
our 1978 Cessna T-310. Or our 1946 Piper J-3 Cub. Or in our experimental
plane, a Breezy. Or in our brand new 1953 Cessna 170B."
[Pulled from www.stephencoonts.com]

Old February 22nd 05, 01:18 AM

Richard Bach

www.Rosspilot.com
New York

Old February 22nd 05, 01:54 AM
vincent p. norris

Does Arnold Palmer still fly? According to one article, Palmer had 20,000
hours as of a couple years ago.

That's an incredible number of hours for someone who's not an airline
pilot. I wonder if the writer slipped in an extra zero.

vince norris
Old February 22nd 05, 02:00 AM
Matt Barrow

"Alan" wrote in message

I believe Coonts sold the Cannibal Queen several years ago.

Mr. Coonts said, "I am often asked if I still own the Queen, that

marvelous
1942 Stearman biplane that stars in the book. Alas, Deborah and I sold her
in December, 1998, and recycled the money into other airplanes. Whenever
Deborah and I go flying these days, which is every chance we get, we go in
our 1978 Cessna T-310. Or our 1946 Piper J-3 Cub. Or in our experimental
plane, a Breezy. Or in our brand new 1953 Cessna 170B."
[Pulled from www.stephencoonts.com]

He must go through airplanes the way some teenagers go through cars.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:01 AM
Matt Barrow

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article lXlSd.37714$4q6.18320@attbi_s01,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

How would young superstars have time? This is not a casual passion,

is
it?

Young superstar actors, unless they are in a TV series, work an average

of
10 - 20 weeks per year.

The rest of their time is spent schmoozing, partying, and feeling great
angst (in preparation for their next role, of course). Hell, look at
Travolta. He makes two movies per year, earning enough to support a
Gulfstream and a Boeing 707. The rest of the time, he plays.

Now compare this to most of us, working full-time, with families...

I was under the impression that at least some superstars put in

considerable time
training (physical and acting skill).

Maybe working out physically, but which "superstars" work on their acting
ability? :~)

Old February 22nd 05, 02:07 AM
vincent p. norris

as were stories of his certificate having been suspended or
revoked. All those stories were spread by a couple of mean FAA low-lifes

Any source? I've got this from the NTSB:

http://www.avweb.com/other/ntsb9905.html

Here's a paragraph from that:

We had previously received an interim report from H. C. Whitcomb, Jr.,
M.D., pertinent to your alcohol problem. Dr. Whitcomb reported that
"in general averages two to four drinks of either wine or beer/week
when he's traveling." He further stated that there has been no abuse,
(see footnote 1) ...in our letter of October 18, 1995, we specified
that your "continued airman medical certification remains contingent
upon your total abstinence for use of alcohol."

Surely "two to four drinks...per week" can't be considered an "alcohol
problem"! Weve been told many times that two drinks PER DAY are good
for us!

vince norris

Old February 22nd 05, 02:14 AM
Some Guy

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message

Some Guys just need to get over it.

There's nothing to get over. You can construct all the semantic jungle-gyms
you want, but that does not alter the fact that the FAA does not issue pilot
licenses. They issue pilot certificates, and when current and qualified,
you are allowed to "...exercise the privileges of..." that certificate..
The only context regarding airmen in which I've seen the FAA use the word
license is in reference to foreign licenses.