Celebrity Pilots

Old February 22nd 05, 02:16 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

I was under the impression that at least some superstars put in

considerable time
training (physical and acting skill).

Maybe working out physically, but which "superstars" work on their acting
ability? :~)

well, we can hope, can't we?

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old February 22nd 05, 02:33 AM
Matt Barrow

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
Does Arnold Palmer still fly? According to one article, Palmer had 20,000
hours as of a couple years ago.

That's an incredible number of hours for someone who's not an airline
pilot. I wonder if the writer slipped in an extra zero.

Nope! Remember, he's been flying for going on 50 years and was flying
to/from tournaments as well as running several business enterprises for
about 45 of those years. Airline pilot's careers never last probably half
that long.

When Cessna brought out the X (10) model, he got #1. He also had a MD500 for
several years and did promo work for Cessna and MD.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:50 AM
Eric Rood

Cambodia. She owns a place there.

Jay Honeck wrote:
While contemplating a "Celebrity Pilot's Suite" (or something like that) I
was just absent-mindedly searching the FAA database for movie stars, and
found this:
Name : JOLIE, ANGELINA
Airman's Address : 1990 S BUNDY DR
LOS ANGELES, CA, 90025-5240
FAA Region : Western/Pacific
Date of Medical : Jun, 2004
Class of Medical : 3
Expiration of Class 3 privileges : Jun, 2007
Airman Certificates : Student Pilot
: Private Pilot (foreign based)
Airplane Single Engine Land
Any idea what the "Private Pilot (foreign based)" is all about? Does this
mean she's certificated in other countries that our own FAA doesn't
recognize as legit?

Old February 22nd 05, 03:00 AM
vincent p. norris

Sometime, in order to be "licensed" to DO something, we also have to be
competent at it (perform surgery, fly an airplane?)

Considering the number of pilots who stupidly kill themselves, and the
number of hospital patients who had the wrong leg removed or a
hemostat left inside them, I wonder if that's so.

vince norris
Old February 22nd 05, 03:00 AM

A few notes:

- I believe that Angie (all of her friends call her that???) bought a
Cirrus.

- Roy Clark, ace guitar picker and grinner, is interviewed in the latest
Private Pilot. He owns a BAP (Big A***d Biplane) and has been flying
since the 50's.

- I have a pilot certificate, but it sure is easier to say "license"
either verbally or in text. "Certificate" looks self-important to me.
Use what you will - but my day was brightened by someone pointing out
that the FAA themselves have been known to use the L word.

Dave Blevins

P.S. that whole thing about AJ wearing a vial of Billy Bob's blood
around her neck still makes me tilt my head and go, "herrrmmm". But, she
did look good all dollied up with automatic weapons in Tomb Raider, I
have to admit. 8^)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 02:39:23 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

While contemplating a "Celebrity Pilot's Suite" (or something like that) I
was just absent-mindedly searching the FAA database for movie stars, and
found this:
Name : JOLIE, ANGELINA
Airman's Address : 1990 S BUNDY DR
LOS ANGELES, CA, 90025-5240
FAA Region : Western/Pacific
Date of Medical : Jun, 2004
Class of Medical : 3
Expiration of Class 3 privileges : Jun, 2007
Airman Certificates : Student Pilot
: Private Pilot (foreign based)
Airplane Single Engine Land
Any idea what the "Private Pilot (foreign based)" is all about? Does this
mean she's certificated in other countries that our own FAA doesn't
recognize as legit?

I know Harrison Ford and Tom Cruise are pilots, but can you list any others?

Anyone know how to get in touch with these folks? I presume the addresses
listed in the database really aren't where they live, but it would be fun to
have pictures of each celebrity pilot in the suite, preferably
autographed...

Any ideas?

Old February 22nd 05, 03:38 AM
Casey Wilson

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message

Some Guys just need to get over it.

There's nothing to get over. You can construct all the semantic
jungle-gyms
you want, but that does not alter the fact that the FAA does not issue
pilot
licenses. They issue pilot certificates, and when current and qualified,
you are allowed to "...exercise the privileges of..." that certificate..
The only context regarding airmen in which I've seen the FAA use the word
license is in reference to foreign licenses.

Ho Hum.
The following sentence is copied from DOT/FAA/AM-02/6 (Page 4):
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is responsible for the medical
certification of all civilian airmen in the United States. Civil aviators
must hold an FAA pilot's license and maintain a current medical certificate
of the appropriate class to legally perform duties associated with that
class of certificate."

From a media release on http://apo.faa.gov/
" Olcott's aviation credentials include an airline transport pilot's
license,multi-engine...."

From:http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/IFIM/ifimfaqa086.htm: "You may fly from the
U.S. to another country using your license for that country if the aircraft
is registered in the other country. If the aircraft is registered in the
U.S., you must have a U.S. license to fly while still in the U.S. You would
also need a commercial license and a U.S. instrument rating if you were
using instruments."

And, http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1035
(Count how many times the FAA uses license in that one!)

....still another FAA document http://www.faa.gov/apa/PR/pr.cfm?id=604:
"A highlight of the event includes an opportunity for students to speak with
some of aviation's real pioneers -- Bill Broadwater, a Tuskegee Airman and a
retired FAA controller and Christopher Hart, FAA's Assistant Administrator
for System Safety. Hart also is a great nephew of James Herman Banning, the
first African American to receive a pilot's license in the United States."

======

I apologize to the community for abusing your good will, should you have any
left. I shall refrain from any further posting on this subject.

Old February 22nd 05, 03:41 AM
Morgans

wrote

P.S. that whole thing about AJ wearing a vial of Billy Bob's blood
around her neck still makes me tilt my head and go, "herrrmmm". But, she
did look good all dollied up with automatic weapons in Tomb Raider, I
have to admit. 8^)

You know how Bugs Bunny would always blow into his thumb, and inflate his
fist before he punched someone? I can't help but think that is what AJ's
boobs looked like in Tomb Raider! g
--
Jim in NC

Old February 22nd 05, 03:53 AM
Morgans

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote

I apologize to the community for abusing your good will, should you have

any
left. I shall refrain from any further posting on this subject.

"Some guys" just have no credibility. (as do 99.9% of the other nameless
posters)

According to Chuck, "it's all about the credibility." vbg
--
Jim in NC

Old February 22nd 05, 03:59 AM
Jay Honeck

You know how Bugs Bunny would always blow into his thumb, and inflate his
fist before he punched someone? I can't help but think that is what AJ's
boobs looked like in Tomb Raider! g

And this is a problem?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 22nd 05, 04:56 AM
Icebound

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
as were stories of his certificate having been suspended or
revoked. All those stories were spread by a couple of mean FAA low-lifes

Any source? I've got this from the NTSB:

http://www.avweb.com/other/ntsb9905.html

Here's a paragraph from that:

We had previously received an interim report from H. C. Whitcomb, Jr.,
M.D., pertinent to your alcohol problem. Dr. Whitcomb reported that
"in general averages two to four drinks of either wine or beer/week
when he's traveling." He further stated that there has been no abuse,
(see footnote 1) ...in our letter of October 18, 1995, we specified
that your "continued airman medical certification remains contingent
upon your total abstinence for use of alcohol."

Surely "two to four drinks...per week" can't be considered an "alcohol
problem"! Weve been told many times that two drinks PER DAY are good
for us!

Apparently that was his third plane accident. In 1989 and 1995 he was
involved in accidents while taxi-ing. Don't know if alcohol was involved.

He had plead guilty in 1993 to a DUI, and in 1994 he put his yellow Porsche
into a tree at an blood-alcohol level of .128

For that one, the trial ended in a hung jury, but it is probably somewhere
between '89 and '95 that the FAA told him his ticket was "contingent upon
total abstinence".

Since ""two to four drinks...per week" is not "total abstinence".........