Another gas question

Old September 17th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_5_]

Default Another gas question

In flight surgeon training in Texas we got to take a ride (and still need to
do so periodically) in the high altitude chamber, as do all current people
on flying status. Since gases expand as the ambient pressure decreases, we
were told to simply let it go when the urge arose.

Considering we were in Texas and eating a lot of Mexican food including
beans, this produced a lot of gas.

So, at high altitude, is it appropriate to say excuse me, ignore the
flatulence, or look at the guy in the next seat with disgust, as if he
(she)were the source? What is the proper etiquette with pilots of different
gender?

In fact, how does one use a relief tube with an FO of the other gender, or
vice versa? What is the correct response in these circumstances?

These questions address important aspects of flying that simply can not be
reproduced in the sim, so any help would be appreciated.

Old September 17th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Viperdoc wrote:

In flight surgeon training in Texas we got to take a ride (and still
need to do so periodically) in the high altitude chamber, as do all
current people on flying status. Since gases expand as the ambient
pressure decreases, we were told to simply let it go when the urge
arose.
Considering we were in Texas and eating a lot of Mexican food
including beans, this produced a lot of gas.

So, at high altitude, is it appropriate to say excuse me, ignore the
flatulence, or look at the guy in the next seat with disgust, as if he
(she)were the source? What is the proper etiquette with pilots of
different gender?

I took a chamber flight in Texas, about 25 years ago. I don't remember how
many were in the chamber, must have been at least a dozen. I also remember
the admonition to just let it go. But we we're all wearing helmets and
masks, I don't recall noticing if anyone really ripped one. Unless the
culprit was left sitting in a cloud of blue gas or something similar how
would we?

Old September 17th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Viperdoc" wrote:
In flight surgeon training in Texas we got to take a ride (and still
need to do so periodically) in the high altitude chamber, as do all
current people on flying status. Since gases expand as the ambient
pressure decreases, we were told to simply let it go when the urge
arose.

Considering we were in Texas and eating a lot of Mexican food
including beans, this produced a lot of gas.

The procedure for handling this situation is covered in section 6-3-5 of
the AIM.

;-)
Old September 17th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

In flight surgeon training in Texas we got to take a ride (and still
need to do so periodically) in the high altitude chamber, as do all
current people on flying status. Since gases expand as the ambient
pressure decreases, we were told to simply let it go when the urge
arose.

Considering we were in Texas and eating a lot of Mexican food
including beans, this produced a lot of gas.

So, at high altitude, is it appropriate to say excuse me, ignore the
flatulence, or look at the guy in the next seat with disgust, as if he
(she)were the source? What is the proper etiquette with pilots of
different gender?

Well, one guy I used to fly with challenged me to guess what he had
eaten for dinnner the night before based on the smell. Does that count?

In actual fact, in my type of flying, you don't really fart all that
much more than you would on the deck. It'd be different with higher
rates of climb in the cabin, but we seldom do more than about 350 fpm.

In fact, how does one use a relief tube with an FO of the other
gender, or vice versa? What is the correct response in these
circumstances?

The girls are better at holding it in. They just don't go! When I had to
go with a female FO I just got her to turn away..

Old September 17th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:17:07 -0500, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

[...]

thank god you asked! heavens if proper etiquette isnt followed the
world will cease as we know it.

what you do in polite company is to subtlely lean to one side, lift a
cheek of your arse just a little off the seat and issue forth with a
short whistle and then say "Badger!"

the whistle will draw their attention but of course they will usually
have no idea why you said "badger" so they'll ask.
to which you can reply "well since you asked I'm just warning you that
I'm about to let fly with a massive fart. it seemed the decent thing
to do"

:-)

Stealth Pilot

Old September 17th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
[...]

My first course of action is to blame the family pet but since he is not
always available I usually go with B. look at my partner with disgust. That
doesn't always work if there are only two of us though!

--

*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.

Old September 17th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mick[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah this is all about aviation, isn't it Viperdoc.

I'm sure you have just reached a new low on a lot of lists besides just
mine.

Old September 17th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Yeah this is all about aviation, isn't it Viperdoc.

I'm sure you have just reached a new low on a lot of lists besides just
mine.

Mick- come on- surely you can do better! Besides, who cares about where
anyone is on your list- did you ever finish the third grade? It's hard to
tell based upon your posts.

Old September 17th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mick[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message

Yeah this is all about aviation, isn't it Viperdoc.

I'm sure you have just reached a new low on a lot of lists besides just
mine.

Mick- come on- surely you can do better! Besides, who cares about where
anyone is on your list- did you ever finish the third grade? It's hard to
tell based upon your posts.

Hey, it's your lame assed non related post. I thought you were bitching to
see more discussion on aviation.

It's beginning to look like your hear for the same reason as Dumley,
everyone else around you has stopped listening to your war stories, and your
ego just can't take it, so we have to listen to your bull****.

What's in a name like Viperdoc any way. Hey everybody, I'm a jet pilot and a
doctor!!!!!!!
Yep! Beginning to sound a lot like Dumley.

Old September 17th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Mick- still pretty weak, although it looks like you're at least trying to
use that elementary school education to the best of your limited ability.
Perhaps with some remedial work you might make it to the fifth grade.

ATC question Matt Whiting Piloting 70 April 19th 07 01:14 AM
I want to ask you the most important question of your life. The question is: Are you saved? It is no gasman Soaring 0 August 26th 05 06:39 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
A-4 / A-7 Question Tank Fixer Naval Aviation 41 October 25th 03 03:59 AM