Maule has no performance?

Old October 8th 05, 07:25 PM
Brad Salai

Michelle,

I was trying to be funny. What I was kidding you about is that the tailwind
probably didn't help you get to 6 hours. Maybe helped you go further in that
time, but as far as I know, the engine doesn't know if it is flying in a
tailwind or a headwind.

Brad
"Michelle P" wrote in message
link.net...
Brad,
I have done it because it can. I plan for 15 Gal/hour and it flies about
12.5 gal/hour according to the Shadin Fuel Flow. I still had 10 gallons
left upon landing. about 45 minutes. I like to have an hour in the tank
when I land. I have pushed it to 45 minutes if necessary.
Michelle ( girl)

Brad Salai wrote:

"Michelle P" wrote in message
link.net...

. I have run the aircraft for 6 hours strait

without stopping with a favorable tail wind.

I'm glad I didn't say that. And in THIS group, boy are you going to get

it.
You better brace yourself!

Brad

Old October 8th 05, 07:45 PM
Michelle P

Brad,
I was not sure. The tailwind help me go from St. Louis to Moultrie GA
without stopping. I had been stuck in St. Louis for several days. I
watched the weather all day and noticed a pattern forming. If was not
on the ground by 1 PM I was not going to make it. I left at 6 AM and
landed just around noon 90% IMC. This would have been about 7.5 hours
without the tailwind. I would have had to stop for fuel then would have
been trapped by the weather.
Michelle

Brad Salai wrote:

Michelle,

I was trying to be funny. What I was kidding you about is that the tailwind
probably didn't help you get to 6 hours. Maybe helped you go further in that
time, but as far as I know, the engine doesn't know if it is flying in a
tailwind or a headwind.

Brad
"Michelle P" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Brad,
I have done it because it can. I plan for 15 Gal/hour and it flies about
12.5 gal/hour according to the Shadin Fuel Flow. I still had 10 gallons
left upon landing. about 45 minutes. I like to have an hour in the tank
when I land. I have pushed it to 45 minutes if necessary.
Michelle ( girl)

Brad Salai wrote:

thlink.net...

Old October 8th 05, 07:57 PM
Jose

What I was kidding you about is that the tailwind
probably didn't help you get to 6 hours. Maybe helped you go further in that
time, but as far as I know, the engine doesn't know if it is flying in a
tailwind or a headwind.

Well, the engine can be told what it's flying in. Maybe Michelle
throttled back, allowing the tailwind to carry her the distance while
she got more time.

Jose (boy)
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old October 8th 05, 08:34 PM
Michelle P

Jose,
I started with eighty gallons of fuel. I was flying at six or eight
thousand feet. Between 75% and 65% power. This puts fuel consumption is
about 11.5 GPH. This gives me seven (6.95) hours endurance. I went six.
With still nearly an hour of fuel left.
Michelle

Old October 8th 05, 08:41 PM
Jose

Jose,
I started with eighty gallons of fuel.

Wow... and I thought the cutlass with long range tanks had endurance.
I'm going to have to look into this Maule thing.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old October 8th 05, 10:02 PM
john smith

In article .net,
Michelle P wrote:

I started with eighty gallons of fuel. I was flying at six or eight
thousand feet. Between 75% and 65% power. This puts fuel consumption is
about 11.5 GPH. This gives me seven (6.95) hours endurance. I went six.
With still nearly an hour of fuel left.

But you didn't mention how many piddle packs you went through?

Old October 8th 05, 11:07 PM
Jay Honeck

But you didn't mention how many piddle packs you went through?

two.

Okay, I hereby invoke the Usenet "TMI Clause" here.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 8th 05, 11:25 PM
Matt Whiting

Michelle P wrote:

Jose,
I started with eighty gallons of fuel. I was flying at six or eight
thousand feet. Between 75% and 65% power. This puts fuel consumption is
about 11.5 GPH. This gives me seven (6.95) hours endurance. I went six.
With still nearly an hour of fuel left.

You must have the long range bladder option as well. :-) I've found
4.5 hours to be about my limit.

Matt
Old October 8th 05, 11:28 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

But you didn't mention how many piddle packs you went through?

two.

Okay, I hereby invoke the Usenet "TMI Clause" here.

OK, I confess that I don't know what TMI is. Can you enlighten me?

Michelle, aren't those piddle packs a pain to use in a small airplane?
I remember that one of the aviation magazines some years ago had a
"test" done on several ways to obtain inflight relief. I can't remember
which mag now or who the author was, but it was a hilarious article. He
talked about the difficulties he had convincing some of his female
friends to help him test the female products. I believe the tried
bottles, piddle packs up to adult diapers and found they all had their
problems. I wish I could find that article now, it was great
entertainment and even a little bit useful!

Matt