WMD found in Colorado

Old August 1st 03, 05:02 PM
David Lentz

Ed Rasimus wrote:

snip

Isn't there a law on the books that permits a citizen to act in
opposition to his government if said government is engaging in immoral
activity as the Nazi's did?

I don't think there is. What you describe is revolution. It's the
extension of the (correct) political philosophy of Thomas Hobbes and
John Locke. First that the power and authority of a government comes
from consent of the governed. When a government abuses that power,
then it is the right of the people to withdraw their consent and
overthrow the government.

Surely there must be a right of revolution. The United States
was established by such a right, and it wAs declared in the
Declaration of Independence.

I consider the right of revolution to an extra constitutional
right. It exists outside the Constitution. One can not both
rebel against the Constitution while claiming to be protected by
the Constitution. Rebellion against the United States is a
military action and not a judicial one.

I recall a group called ROT (Republic of Texas). They were
holding up in some building. When they sent out a lawyer rather
than an ambassador, I deemed them common criminals and not
revolutionaries.

David

David
Old August 1st 03, 11:13 PM
Ed Rasimus

David Lentz wrote:

Surely there must be a right of revolution. The United States
was established by such a right, and it wAs declared in the
Declaration of Independence.

David

Absolutely, see my previous reference to Hobbes (power to govern comes
from consent of the governed) and Locke (consent can be withdrawn) and
then, by extension to Jefferson.

But, the original comment was "a law on the books" to allow people to
interpret morality to authorize acting illegally. That's a long way
from revolution.

Great editorial in this AM's Denver Post by Mike Rosen. Unfortunately
doesn't appear to be available online.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old August 1st 03, 11:37 PM
S. Sampson

"Ed Rasimus" wrote

I don't know when you were at Ramstein, but it's been a very long time
since Ramstein had Victor. (I was there at USAFE Hq from '78-'81 and
Victor was no longer a Ramstein mission--except when hosting Crested
Cap deployment from the 49th at Holloman.)

My last TDY there, was during the Poland Crisis (Dec 80 - Apr 81),
and it was the tab-vee area on what I remember as the SE side of the base.

A Victor Alert area was always double-fenced chain-link and razor
wirer with corner guard towers and double-gate walk through access
points. You didn't just take a wrong turn on a taxiway and drive
through a Victor area. You may have been in the aircraft Tab-Vees,
which were a "restricted" area, but nowhere near the security of nuke
alert. Even if you had been in the alert area (which was Zulu or air
defense) you would have had to pass through a security access point
and couldn't have just driven through.

No, that certainly doesn't describe the area. They just looked like your
every-day alert stuff.

There's no doubt that you got "jacked up" but it's a lot tougher to
get in among nuke loaded aircraft than your story implies.

I suspect I was told they were nukes, so I wouldn't complain about the
new duties I had. You may have heard about our Colonel who tried to
give a bottle of whiskey to the alert ramp guards on Christmas of 80...
He went to the same steel cell :-) So, I no longer felt lonely about being
the "arrested one" on base.

Old August 2nd 03, 03:26 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Lentz" wrote in message

I do not see how.

Well, I don't see a return to Constitutional government without a rebellion,
so I guess it's gone forever.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:19 AM
S. Sampson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
"David Lentz" wrote

I do not see how.

Well, I don't see a return to Constitutional government without a rebellion,
so I guess it's gone forever.

We (the people) keep re-electing the same people, year after year, and
then complain that they are the worst ****s imaginable.

We could change the leadership of this country in six years if we had a
plan. What we have now is an un-auditable free-for-all, with no tax
limits, and a world-wide cash hand-out. Neither of the two parties in
power have even one candidate who is useful.

When the F-22 and star wars become the B-1 piece of **** we know they
will, and we don't have a pot to **** in, then only then, will we gain a few
more seats in the Congress.

What we need is a party for the people, which will have a national audit
as their first goal, and a defense budget that is a quarter of what it is now.
We have no world threat that requires the F-22 (or whatever they are
calling it this year, e.g., AF-22, etc), or even anything more capable than
an F-16, or F-18.

We need to cut the budget by 6 Trillion in six years.

We can do that with the Republic we have.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:31 AM
N.S.

Stephen Harding wrote:

Although it's a risky premise, I wonder if possession of nuclear weapons
(by a state as opposed to private whackos) forces a degree of care in
decision making that might not otherwise be there? Would the world be a
more peaceful place if *everyone* had nukes???

There is a serious danger in trusting nuclear-armed countries
to be careful: the possibility of accidental nuclear war.

In 1983 a worldwide nuclear war was narrowly averted by a
perceptive, quick-thinking Soviet military officer, Stanislav
Petrov. (Afterward, ironically, instead of being honored and
praised for his actions, he found his life nearly ruined.)
It's a disturbing story, not widely known:

http://www.brightstarsound.com

It seems we were very lucky that day. But what does the future
hold?

N.S.