Helicopter Questions

Old November 29th 03, 12:00 PM
MCN

Default Helicopter Questions

Hello,

I was reading that during the Vietnam War two helicopters were downed by
MiGs, one was a HB-53B which was downed by a MiG-21 on 28 Jan 1970, but I
can't find much info about the other. All I found so far was a "UH-1 during
1971" on the ACIG-site. Has somebody here more info?

Another question I have is about those seven helicopters downed by SAMs in
1972. I know that at least four of them were AH-1 Cobras, which were shoot
down during May and June. Did somebody know more about the other three?

Thanks!

MCN

Old November 29th 03, 01:51 PM
Tex Houston

"MCN" wrote in message
Hello,

I was reading that during the Vietnam War two helicopters were downed by
MiGs, one was a HB-53B which was downed by a MiG-21 on 28 Jan 1970, but I
can't find much info about the other. All I found so far was a "UH-1

during
1971" on the ACIG-site. Has somebody here more info?

MCN

If you want to look up anything in a search engine the helicopter type is
HH-53. HB would indicate the basic type is bomber and would not give you a
match. Of course it could just be a typo.

Tex

Old November 30th 03, 05:10 PM
Wakyer Eagle

"MCN" wrote in message
Another question I have is about those seven helicopters downed by SAMs in
1972. I know that at least four of them were AH-1 Cobras, which were shoot
down during May and June. Did somebody know more about the other three?

the so-called new technology (our media called it new) that shot down some
helo's in Iraq first came to our attention during the Eastertide Offensive
of 1972. Not a surface to air missile like those around Hanoi but deadly
just the same, the SA7 Strella shoulder fired missile took down a number of
aircraft at least one of which was a DustOff bird.

John mentions the VHPA or VHCN site which I believe will take you to a list
of a/c losses by year and you can see which ones were lost to the SA7 in '72

Old December 2nd 03, 07:28 PM
MCN

The link to the Cobra-downed-by-SAM story was very interesting, I had just
recently read in the book by Jonathan Bernstein "US Army AH-1 Cobra Units in
Vietnam" about it, but this story was much more in-depth. Thanks! Thanks too
for the link to the PDF-file, unfortunately the email-address in this
document seems to be no longer active.

Best,

MCN

"John?] "
wrote in message
.net...

I can't answer your questions, but I know someone who probably can.
First--this might be of interest: ttp://www.vhfcn.org/missle.html

Second--http://www.vhpa.org/heliloss.pdf
After you review the information on this page, scroll down to
the bottom and drop Gary a line. If anybody knows the answer,
he does.
Good luck.

Old December 2nd 03, 07:33 PM
MCN

Thanks, I'm a bit surprised that both topics didn't got more attention in
the "literature"
Best,
MCN

Old December 2nd 03, 10:31 PM
FOB

I think Joe Kline made a painting of it. Joe is Huey guy
and very accurate.

"MCN" wrote in message =
The link to the Cobra-downed-by-SAM story was very interesting, I had =

just
recently read in the book by Jonathan Bernstein "US Army AH-1 Cobra =

Units in
Vietnam" about it, but this story was much more in-depth. Thanks! =

Thanks too
for the link to the PDF-file, unfortunately the email-address in this
document seems to be no longer active.
=20
Best,
=20