things to carry

Old July 8th 04, 11:40 PM
Newps

"BillC85" wrote in message

I don't know if it's urban legend or not but I heard of a pilot who

crashed
in the Rockies. He survived the crash but was pinned in the wreckage. A
nice family of bears came along and ate him.

A Piper Arrow crashed 40 miles SE of here about 5 years ago. The crash site
is on top of some flat top mountains near Fort Smith, MT. The plane crash
was a CFIT so there wasn't a lot of damage to the plane but both occupants
killed. When the weather cleared a helicopter found the scene and chased
off a couple of Black bears. They had already started munching on the
nearest passneger. The plane is still up there. You can get to it with a
Cub or helicopter.

Old July 8th 04, 11:48 PM
Clay

ospam (Rosspilot) wrote in message ...
He used an AOL advertising CD with the sides shaved off to make it
conveniently small (though still bigger than the usual signal mirror.) Easy
to use, free, and much lighter than the double-glass ones usually sold for
the purpose.

See that? AOL *IS* good for something!

:-)

www.Rosspilot.com

Paper towels. Can be used for anything for wiping the dip stick or used as T.P.

Latex gloves. Protect hands from blood. Never know what a passenger may have.

Fishing line and safety pins. May need to catch some fish to eat.

Magnifying glass. Start fires, read small print, find splinters, or roast ants.

Survival booklet.
Old July 9th 04, 12:14 AM
alexy

"Skipper" wrote:

good site at www.bestglide.com for stuff like this

Another is www.equipped.com
--
Alex
Old July 9th 04, 07:16 AM
Brian Burger

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Stealth Pilot wrote:

dont go overboard on the training most of it is quite simple.

1. if you think you are going to prang you have the wrong attitude to
flying and maintenance. your certified engine has no reason not to
make 2000 hours trouble free if the maintenance is sound. no reason at
all. prevention is far better than experience when it comes to
accidents.

Yes, but "The odds said this shouldn't have happened." makes a pretty
lousy epitaph, I think. We train for engine-failures & forced landings in
PPL training, but by your logic, it's a waste of time.

After all, the vast majority of pilots are going to go an entire flying
lifetime w/o making a forced landing, so why train for it? Sorry, but your
reasoning doesn't hold water, either wrt first aid or forced landing
training...

4. it helps the thinking considerably if you dont panic.

This should be Rule #1, not #4!

snip
in your flying you'll be dealing with
healthy people.

Sure, but even healthy people trip over things, walk into props or
doorframes, spill hot coffee etc etc. Basic first aid training, even if
all it does is reenforce your rule #4 (Don't Panic!), is useful outside
aircraft emergency situations too.

Brian.
Old July 9th 04, 12:09 PM
JJS

I'd add shock management into your repertoire, Stealth. And to manage
shock you need to be able to monitor vitals. Proper methods of moving
a patient to safety, a short distance away from a crash site without
further injury may be very important. Help may not be immediately
forthcoming if the crash happens in a remote or even just a rural
area. You may need to treat for the long term. Now the situation is
more complex and recurrent training may be of great value. I believe
training is money well spent. Losing a loved one because you are
cheap would be hard to deal with. FWIW, discouraging people from
getting this training is not wise in my opinion,. You are correct in
that staying calm and making the right decisions is paramount. This
may not be easy when your loved one is the victim.

Joe Schneider
8437R

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:45:26 -0700, Brian Burger

wrote:

snip

1. if you think you are going to prang you have the wrong attitude

flying and maintenance. your certified engine has no reason not to
make 2000 hours trouble free if the maintenance is sound. no reason

at
all. prevention is far better than experience when it comes to
accidents.

2. first aid is quite simple for 99% of cases.

if a person is on their way out of life firstly their breathing

stops
or their airway gets obstructed. 300 seconds later (roughly) their
heart runs out of oxygen and stops.

the heart never stops while they are breathing.

the priority for first aid is to keep the airway clear and
unobstructed.
if some one is out of it, roll them on their side, gently move the
head back and pull their jaw up to keep the trachea open.
make sure they havent swallowed their tongue.
they will be quite comfortable in that position for a few hours.

all of the rest of the mickey mouse training is really devoted to

half
of the remaining 1% of situations and can be looked at in that light
quite competently.

3. gentle pressure to the area will stop most bleeding

4. it helps the thinking considerably if you dont panic.

there you go. that's the crux of a 2 day $120 dollar first aid

course.
just as an aid to getting the priorities right, in a year working in

busy hospital with really frail, injured and sick people I've never
needed to give first aid ever. in your flying you'll be dealing with
healthy people.

Stealth Pilot

Old July 9th 04, 04:04 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Not quite as annoying as the yo-yo who brings his boom box to the top of the
mountain where I've hiked to get away from the noise of civilization. My
thesis advisor wanted me to build him a jammer for those circumstances. I
suggested something more lethal, like an electomagnetic pulse generator that
would fry his RF detector. Unfortunately I never built either one. Sigh...

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:51:23 -0400,
wrote:

I know people who bought a set of those tiny walkie talkies to keep
track of each other in crowded places. Seems a bit more neighborly
than blowing a whistle in a mall. Range is a couple of miles outside.

It bugs the hell out of me when I am skiing at Aspen (not that I am
always skiing at Aspen, but that is where I've seen/heard the
walkie-talkies).

The parents go to Ajax and the kiddies go to Buttermilk (or perhaps I
have that wrong, and the kiddies are bumpging the moguls on the Back
of Bell). And they talk, talk, talk. Where are you now? We're here.
Where shall we have lunch? Are you having fun?

I yearn for an AK-47.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
(put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org

Old July 9th 04, 04:06 PM
Bob Chilcoat

If you hear something big moving out there, turn on your flashlight. If you
don't like what you see, turn it off again.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:28:28 GMT, EDR wrote:

5. Flashlight with good batteries (extras & bulb)

A wise hiker once pointed out that there is nothing worth seeing in
the New Hampshire mountains at night--and if there is, you're better
off not seeing it.

Old July 9th 04, 04:17 PM
Bob Chilcoat

My wife and I've had numerous CPR and first aid training courses over the
years. Neither of us had ever had to use it until a couple of years ago on
a $100 burger run. My wife suddenly started choking on a piece of prime rib
(OK, it wasn't a burger -- a nicer restaurant) and I had to use the Heimlich
maneuver to save her life. Scared the crap out of me. I was always
skeptical about the Heimlich maneuver, but it worked perfectly. She was
completely obstructed and unable to help herself. One thrust and out popped
the meat. Good thing. It would have been really tough loading her into the
Cherokee if she'd died.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Brian Burger" wrote in message
ia.tc.ca...
Related to the 'what survival equipment do you carry' questions:

How many people here have any sort of First Aid/CPR training, or have
considered getting some?

If you've had training, are you legally & practically current in it? A CPR
ticket is legally valid for three years - practical currency, as always,
is another matter!

I did a Red Cross Standard First Aid & CPR 'C' course in November 2003;
I've skimmed through my textbook & class-notes a few times since, most
recently when I burnt my ankle with v. hot tea!

There's a St. John's Ambulance Wilderness First Aid course here in town
this fall that I'm seriously considering signing up for, too. Outside of
accidents in the hanger, pilots could well face a wilderness first aid
situation after a forced landing, where 'make the victim comfortable then
call 911' just isn't an option.

Compared to the costs of actually flying, these are inexpensive courses;
the Red Cross Standard First Aid was $80 Cdn (~$60 USD); the Wilderness
one is $180 Cdn (~$140 USD).

So, what First Aid training do people have?

Brian.

Old July 10th 04, 01:36 AM
vincent p. norris

Or a CD. An Oregon sheriff on search and rescue showed a group of us that
trick. He used an AOL advertising CD with the sides shaved off to make it
conveniently small (though still bigger than the usual signal mirror.) Easy
to use, free, and much lighter than the double-glass ones usually sold for
the purpose.

Good idea, but you need to include the hole, or make a hole, and learn
how to use that hole to aim the "flash" where you need it.

vince norris