Would you fly this Aircraft?

Old March 19th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Would you fly this Aircraft?

weight is a function of density, volume does not matter when
pressure is measured in PSI.

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
| Fuel has weight, a little less than .5 pounds per foot of
| distance.
|
| I've never heard it expressed quantitatively thus. Could
you elaborate?
| Weight is a function of volume, and pressure would be a
function of

Old March 19th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message news:eqeTf.118075$QW2.13026@dukeread08...
Idle cutoff stops flow of fuel to the venturi/throat, but
the float valve stops the flow of fuel into the carb float
bowl.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

OK, so the float bowl is always filled as far as the (good) float/needle allows it to be while the mixture control is
downstream of the float needle? Actually makes sense because the float is supposed to control the head pressure against
the carb jet, and putting a cutoff in front of the float would only cause the bowl level to lower with very slight
leaning due to the reduces head pressure. One of these days I'll get to mess around with one of these engines....

Thanks Jim...

Old March 19th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I had a commercial pilots certificate for some time before I
attended A&P school [Spartan] and I learned that I didn't
know a lot of things about aircraft engines that I think a
pilot should know.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

".Blueskies." wrote in
message
t...

Old March 19th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message news:s8eTf.6791

I've never heard it expressed quantitatively thus. Could you elaborate?

I think what he's referring to is called "head pressure".

Old March 19th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"C J Southern" wrote in message

Not really. For me, the question is do I bother making the trip to the
airport, or do I wait for someone else to be the "canary in a cage". I've
also got a slightly nervous a passenger to consider......

The crux of the question really is .......

No, the crux of the question is this: why won't you, as putative PIC, just
make a decision? Why do you need a committee of people thoroughly
unfamiliar with the details to consult with and support you? You don't fly
an aircraft, particularly a single-pilot aircraft, by consensus. You're
clearly hesitant about the aircraft and don't really want to take it, but
you post to the NG in a way that says 'I'm bothered by this craft, but I
don't want anyone to think I'm a wuus'. Take it, or don't take it, but make
a decision. If there's not enough data to confirm safety, then don't take
it.

Old March 19th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in

.....If the float valve was leaking, the fuel level would
rise

Not likely to happen on a low-wing twin. Maybe a Cessna single.

Old March 19th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

weight is a function of density, volume does not matter when
pressure is measured in PSI.

The density of gasoline changes much? Weight is mainly a function of
the quantity of matter present (mass) and the gravitational field it's
in. Given liquid gasoline and the earth, volume is a good stand-in for
weight.

Pressure depends on the height of a column of fluid in a gravitational
field. Is that what you meant?

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old March 19th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Who said this was a low-wing twin?

Old March 19th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gasoline changes density with the blend and it also changes
with temperature. The "standard" 6 pounds per gallon (US)
is just an average. Yes, the distance the weight a fluid
(including air) acts under gravity determines the pressure.
Volume is a measure of space, density is a measure of mass
per unit space.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

. net...

Old March 19th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Who said this was a low-wing twin?

Do you know of a high-wing twin that uses "C172 engines"? (as stated in the
original post)