Non-federal towers

Old July 24th 03, 06:59 PM
Peter Duniho

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
Why? That regulation doesn't apply to non-movement areas.

It applies to runways and taxiways, it says nothing of "non-movement

areas".

Why would it say anything of non-movement areas? It DOES NOT APPLY to
non-movement areas.

I taxi all the time in the non-movement areas at my home airport, as well as
any number of other airports. The pavement I am taxiing on is a taxiway,
but because it's a non-movement area 91.129(i) doesn't apply.

Your assertion is that I am in violation of 91.129(i) every time I do this?

I realize that you love to argue just for the sake of the troll, but this
time you are really off the deep end. The situation at Renton sounds
screwed up, to be sure, but if they want to classify the entire airport
except the runway as a non-movement area, then no ATC clearance is required
to taxi around the airport (except on the runway of course).

Pete

Old July 24th 03, 07:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Why would it say anything of non-movement areas? It DOES NOT APPLY to
non-movement areas.

I didn't bring up non-movement areas, you did.

I taxi all the time in the non-movement areas at my home airport, as well

as
any number of other airports. The pavement I am taxiing on is a taxiway,
but because it's a non-movement area 91.129(i) doesn't apply.

What do you base that on? The regulation says "runway or taxiway", it
doesn't say "runway or taxiway, except those designated as non-movement
areas".

Your assertion is that I am in violation of 91.129(i) every time I do

this?

Read the regulation, it's not complicated.

I realize that you love to argue just for the sake of the troll, but this
time you are really off the deep end.

You're an extremely poor judge of character.

The situation at Renton sounds
screwed up, to be sure, but if they want to classify the entire airport
except the runway as a non-movement area, then no ATC clearance is

required
to taxi around the airport (except on the runway of course).

FAR 91.129(i) says differently. I wouldn't get too excited about it, some
regulations are violated regularly without consequence.

Old July 24th 03, 09:43 PM
Newps

Peter Duniho wrote:

Why would it say anything of non-movement areas? It DOES NOT APPLY to
non-movement areas.

Not having been there an easy way to set it up is to announce on the
ATIS or by other means that all aircraft are to taxi to the runway in
use. I accomplish a similar thing on the midshift by issuing all IFR
clearances by ATIS. You get a transponder code and a taxi clearance
from me, the rest of the clearance is covered by the ATIS.

Old July 24th 03, 11:33 PM
Peter Duniho

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
I didn't bring up non-movement areas, you did.

No, actually YOU did when you replied to a post that specifically said that
the taxiways had been designated non-movement areas. You should read the
posts to which you reply a little more carefully.

What do you base that on? The regulation says "runway or taxiway", it
doesn't say "runway or taxiway, except those designated as non-movement
areas".

Non-movement areas are implicitly excluded from the requirement for an ATC
clearance. While they physically can include a taxiway, those are not
ATC-controlled taxiways and as such, 91.129(i) doesn't apply. There is no
need for them to be mentioned explicitly in the regulation.

Read the regulation, it's not complicated.

You're right, it's not. And yet you still seem confused. Odd.

I realize that you love to argue just for the sake of the troll, but

this
time you are really off the deep end.

You're an extremely poor judge of character.

Perhaps. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

FAR 91.129(i) says differently. I wouldn't get too excited about it, some
regulations are violated regularly without consequence.

Put up or shut up. If you can find me one single FAA inspector that is
willing to agree with your stance that an ATC clearance is required to taxi
in non-movement area, I will happily admit I was wrong. Otherwise, the only
conclusion is that you have no point and are arguing just for the sake of
the troll.

Pete

Old July 25th 03, 12:01 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

No, actually YOU did when you replied to a post that specifically said

that
the taxiways had been designated non-movement areas. You should read the
posts to which you reply a little more carefully.

Is that how it works? Gee, I would have thought the person that referred to
non-movement areas in the message I was responding to would be considered
the person that brought it up.

Non-movement areas are implicitly excluded from the requirement for an ATC
clearance. While they physically can include a taxiway, those are not
ATC-controlled taxiways and as such, 91.129(i) doesn't apply. There is no
need for them to be mentioned explicitly in the regulation.

What do you base that on?

You're right, it's not. And yet you still seem confused. Odd.

You believe I brought non-movement areas into this discussion. Clearly, I'm
not the one that's confused.

Perhaps. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I suppose so, but you're still batting .000.

Put up or shut up. If you can find me one single FAA inspector that is
willing to agree with your stance that an ATC clearance is required to

taxi
in non-movement area, I will happily admit I was wrong. Otherwise, the

only
conclusion is that you have no point and are arguing just for the sake of
the troll.

I've already posted the regulation supporting my position, you've provided
nothing in support of yours. Looks like it's you that needs to put up or
shut up.

Of course, based on your history, you'll do neither.

Old July 25th 03, 02:47 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Newps wrote:

Not having been there an easy way to set it up is to announce on the
ATIS or by other means that all aircraft are to taxi to the runway in
use. I accomplish a similar thing on the midshift by issuing all IFR
clearances by ATIS. You get a transponder code and a taxi clearance
from me, the rest of the clearance is covered by the ATIS.

How does one handle read-backs?

Sydney

Old July 25th 03, 05:08 PM
Newps

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

Newps wrote:

Not having been there an easy way to set it up is to announce on the
ATIS or by other means that all aircraft are to taxi to the runway in
use. I accomplish a similar thing on the midshift by issuing all IFR
clearances by ATIS. You get a transponder code and a taxi clearance
from me, the rest of the clearance is covered by the ATIS.

How does one handle read-backs?

The end of the ATIS message says..."All IFR aircraft are cleared to
their destination airport, via the Billings Two departure, then as
filed. Maintain one two thousand or your requested lower altitude,
expect your transponder code on taxi. All aircraft contact Billings
120.5, advise you have..." Only one guy normally reads back his
clearance, so he does, the normal way.

Old July 25th 03, 05:42 PM
Peter Duniho

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
Because you wrote the message I was responding to.

Bull. Here's your original reply. As you'll note, Bob Gardner wrote the
message to which you were responding:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
newsWqPa.31718$N7.3950@sccrnsc03...

As I noted in a newsgroup recently, Renton, Washington, is a contract

tower,
and the controllers (or the local airport authority, I'm not sure which)
made everything except the runway non-movement areas, where the

controllers
have no responsibility or authority. So pilots taxiing out are told to
monitor ground, told not to transmit on the ground control frequency,

and
if
there is a conflict on the taxiway the two pilots will have to work it

out
on their own. No radio transmissions until "Ready for takeoff" on the

tower
frequency.

Hmmm.... Seems to me every pilot that operated on a taxiway there would

be
in violation of FAR 91.129(i).

The AIM is not regulatory, the regulation says nothing about non-movement
areas.

Well, perhaps you'd prefer a quote from the ATC handbook. From "3-7-2. TAXI
AND GROUND MOVEMENT OPERATIONS":

"NOTE -- 2. Movement of aircraft or vehicles on nonmovement areas is the
responsibility of the pilot, the aircraft operator, or the airport
management."

You ARE familiar with the ATC handbook, right?

The regulation does apply to taxiways.

You can say that 'til the cows come home, it doesn't make it true.

However, you've been sufficiently discredited in this thread. I don't see
any need to rub your face in it, so please, feel free to make whatever lame
reply you think you need to. I don't intend to embarass you any further.
Besides, you'll do that well enough yourself in your next reply.

Pete

Old July 26th 03, 02:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Bull. Here's your original reply. As you'll note, Bob Gardner wrote the
message to which you were responding:

I don't see any message from Bob Gardner in the discussion of FAR 91.129(i).

Well, perhaps you'd prefer a quote from the ATC handbook. From "3-7-2.

TAXI
AND GROUND MOVEMENT OPERATIONS":

"NOTE -- 2. Movement of aircraft or vehicles on nonmovement areas is the
responsibility of the pilot, the aircraft operator, or the airport
management."

Swell. So what's your point?

You ARE familiar with the ATC handbook, right?

Extremely familiar.

You can say that 'til the cows come home, it doesn't make it true.

It's true regardless what you or I say.

However, you've been sufficiently discredited in this thread. I don't see
any need to rub your face in it, so please, feel free to make whatever

lame
reply you think you need to. I don't intend to embarass you any further.
Besides, you'll do that well enough yourself in your next reply.

In this thread you've stated that the person responding to a subject is the
person that brings up that subject and that FAR 91.129(i) does not apply to
taxiways. I'll leave it to the more astute readers of this forum to decide
for themselves which of us has been discredited and should feel
embarrassment.

Old July 26th 03, 07:28 PM
John Godwin

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
thlink.net:

In this thread you've stated that the person responding to a subject
is the person that brings up that subject and that FAR 91.129(i) does
not apply to taxiways. I'll leave it to the more astute readers of
this forum to decide for themselves which of us has been discredited
and should feel embarrassment.

At my home airport, we have taxiways which lie in both Movement and Non-
movement areas and are delineated by single solid and single dashed lines.
The areas are described in AIM 2-3-6(c) (and figure 2-3-21); we MUST get
clearances to taxi in the movement and not in the non-movement areas. A
courtesy informational call to Ground Control is sometimes appropriate when
taxiing to the movement areas when you can't be seen from the tower.

--
John Godwin
Silicon Rallye Inc.