For a non-racing glider pilot, what is the best use of a limitedsafety budget?

Old May 15th 16, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default For a non-racing glider pilot, what is the best use of a limitedsafety budget?

More frequent flights,
recurrent training
Xpnder,
Flarm,
or Parachute?
Old May 16th 16, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Too little information to give a good answer.

1. Parachute is first, should have one before you climb in any single seater.

Transponder and Flarm depend on density of glider and power traffic. High glider traffic and low power traffic favors Flarm. High power traffic, especially commercial with TCAS or radar services favor transponder first. If you have both high glider and high power get both.

Tim

Old May 16th 16, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Without a doubt more flight time! Being intimately familiar in a sensory perspective with your bird goes further than any periferal item as far as safety is concerned.
Old May 16th 16, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 6:30:13 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
More frequent flights,
recurrent training
Xpnder,
Flarm,
or Parachute?

Misunderstanding towplane rudder fan signal combined with blown pre-take off checklist has probably killed as many guys as transponders + flarm have saved.

Blown checklist accidents of all types have resulted in more fatalities than parachutes have prevented.

I'm an advocate for the electronic toys in congested airspace... but I'm a bigger advocate for basic airmanship in any airspace.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old May 16th 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well said T8
Old May 17th 16, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 3:30:13 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
More frequent flights,
recurrent training
Xpnder,
Flarm,
or Parachute?

One of my favorite customer quotes was a fellow who told me he'd rather pay me for landing training practice in April than pay a repair shop in June.

One year he had a few messy outlandings that didn't go quite as he intended. The next spring he began a habit of flying four to six dual landings with me, and then made another four or five in his single-seater with video and conversational review.

He felt a lot more relaxed about his landing skills for the upcoming season. That new habit nearly doubled his seasonal landing count. And he got a refresher on those other subjects also... checklists, FAR changes, towing signals, etc.

It worked. He didn't ever have to take his glider to a shop.

Cindy B
Old May 17th 16, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 3:30:13 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
More frequent flights,
recurrent training
Xpnder,
Flarm,
or Parachute?

One of my favorite customer quotes was a fellow who said he'd rather pay me for landing training in April than pay a repair shop in June.

He flew X-C and one year ended with a few landings that didn't go quite as he intended. The next spring he began a new habit of flying four of five landings with me, and then the same in his single-seater with video and conversational review.

Following those two training days, he left to have a lovely summer season.
It worked. He never had to take his glider to a repair shop.
Additionally, he got a review of towing signals, FAR changes, scanning and checklist skills. Not a bad deal for any pilot.

Cindy B
Old May 17th 16, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Fly, fly, fly.
The last several years I have spent the unsoarable winter months taking high tows and learning recovery from unusual attitudes. It keeps you sharp and will make you the best prepared pilot on the field for those first spring soaring days.
Old May 18th 16, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 6:30:13 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
More frequent flights,
recurrent training
Xpnder,
Flarm,
or Parachute?

Flying safely is largely a mental exercise. One very good way to keep your flying skills sharp is to "fly" regularly in simulation. Buy a copy of Condor and use it to keep your head in the game.

+1 on Cindy's recommendation to schedule regular recurrent training with a competent CFIG.