Cutting off shirt tails

Old September 1st 03, 11:45 AM
M. J. Powell

In message , vincent p.
norris writes
As a fly fisherman, I've seen many pics of gentlemen fishing the chalk
steams of Merrie old England wearing suists, complete with white
shirts, ties, and vests, not to mention bowlers.

'Suit' to me implies a dark, office-style arrangement,

Yes, that's what I meant. Hoover, e.g., is wearing what looks like a
black or dark blue suit in the pictures I mentioned.

But a patterned or check-style, yes. No bowlers,
though. Flat caps, usually.

Yeah, I've seen those, too. Somewhere, recently, I saw a photo of
Skues and some other gent whose name escapes me, wearing knickers,
knee socks, shirt and tie, and what we would call a sports jacket,
and cap.

How did you know they were wearing vests?

I must have been able to see the vest, because it made an indelible
impression on my mind.

He was no gentleman or you were *far* too close....

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old September 2nd 03, 02:27 AM

Andrew Chaplin wrote:

Kevin Brooks wrote:

The caribou might be OK (though I am one of those heretics who much
prefer eating a good, young fried rabbit [not to be confused with
European hare, which when I tried it was stronger than my one
experience with eating a bear roast] to any venison I have ever
encountered), but as to the flipper pie...I'd have to be *real*
hungry, I am afraid! But if you get down south, I can recommend the
fried alligator...

I've tried alligator and, while the recipe seemed reasonably tasty, I
thought it could be improved by using pork. Alligator is something I
would opt for if the only other choice were something like iguana.

Or maybe iguana poop...I tried alligator at 'Thackerys' in
Halifax once (please note that 'once' is the operative word
here).
--

-Gord.
Old September 2nd 03, 02:58 PM
Andrew Chaplin

"M. J. Powell" wrote:

In message , Cub Driver
writes

Nota bene:

An American fisherman wears an undershirt, a shirt, then a vest (if he
wears a vest)

A British fisherman wears a vest, a shirt, then a waistcoat (if he
wears a waistcoat)

Oh. A 'vest' is a waistcoat? Right. Those luminous orange/yellow things
are 'vests' in the US?

Yup, usually referred to as "safety vests". For English-speaking North
Americans, a "vest" is a sleeveless garment that fastens down the
front, except when it is made with down or hollofil insulation -- then
it's a "Saskatchewan dinner jacket".

Outside of my family, I have only heard "waistcoat" used when
describing a part of military mess dress, and in that case usually
pronounced "weskit".
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old September 2nd 03, 07:53 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , Andrew Chaplin
writes
"M. J. Powell" wrote:

In message , Cub Driver
writes

Nota bene:

An American fisherman wears an undershirt, a shirt, then a vest (if he
wears a vest)

A British fisherman wears a vest, a shirt, then a waistcoat (if he
wears a waistcoat)

Oh. A 'vest' is a waistcoat? Right. Those luminous orange/yellow things
are 'vests' in the US?

Yup, usually referred to as "safety vests". For English-speaking North
Americans, a "vest" is a sleeveless garment that fastens down the
front, except when it is made with down or hollofil insulation -- then
it's a "Saskatchewan dinner jacket".

Hehe!

Outside of my family, I have only heard "waistcoat" used when
describing a part of military mess dress, and in that case usually
pronounced "weskit".

Right, thanks.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old September 3rd 03, 12:33 AM
vincent p. norris

A British fisherman wears a vest, a shirt, then a waistcoat (if he
wears a waistcoat)

all the best -- Dan Ford

Thanks for explaining that, Dan.

vince norris

Cutting Lexan? Scott Home Built 15 February 19th 04 12:51 AM
best cutting fluid/oil/paste 2004..... theory and practice? B2431 Home Built 1 January 20th 04 06:27 PM
Cutting sheet steel Ernest Christley Home Built 28 November 28th 03 06:58 PM
blue foam & cutting it Richard Riley Home Built 6 November 24th 03 01:53 PM