Where would you most like to crash?

Old March 14th 04, 09:59 PM
Kyler Laird

Default Where would you most like to crash?

I've thought about the possibilities of using GPS and air data along
with a well-stocked GIS to advise a pilot of the better places to
ditch. Using aircraft performance, wind, and terrain elevation
data, it would be fairly easy to determine the areas that could be
reached if power was lost. The terrain data (slope) would also be
helpful in determining which areas are poorly-suited for an
off-airport landing.

I recently came across some land use data for North America.
http://nationalatlas.gov/landcvm.html
It struck me that it would be handy to mix that into the equation.
For example, I think I'd choose "Dryland Cropland and Pasture"
over "Evergreen Needleleaf Forest" over "Urban and Built-Up Land"
if I lost power at night (with the terrain slopes all the same).

I recall that someone did a study of water vs. forest ditchings
awhile ago. Anyone know if there's research on the safety of
ditching on different types of land? Hmmm...I wonder if I could
get funded for a bunch of C-182s...

--kyler
Old March 14th 04, 10:49 PM
Don Tuite

You may be either over-analyzing or not analyzing enough, Kyler. I'm
not sure which.

Based on a quick assessment of your data, would I get a newer cemetery
with flush-to-the-ground polished- granite slabs, or an older cemetery
with stone mausoleums the size of mastodons and marble angels as
massive as the governor of California? Is that evergreen forest an
impenetrable mass of huge old-growth redwoods in a national park, or
nice, even rows of five-year old pines in a pulpwood plantation that
would cheerfully sacrifice themselves to gently slow me down?

Bless you for digitizing the sectionals, but where you seem to be
headed with this looks to me like an invitation to the liability
lawyers to sue you.

Don
Old March 14th 04, 11:49 PM
Stu Gotts

At the Playboy Mansion during a party

Old March 17th 04, 03:03 AM
Matthew F G

Kyler Laird wrote:
snip
I recall that someone did a study of water vs. forest ditchings
awhile ago. Anyone know if there's research on the safety of
ditching on different types of land? Hmmm...I wonder if I could
get funded for a bunch of C-182s...

--kyler

If you do get a bunch, grab one for me!

Matthew F G

(thanks for the sectionals too, as always)

--
For email: replace domain with okstate, with the usual education TLD suffix.