flying for a charity

Old October 3rd 05, 02:17 AM
Kyler Laird

Default flying for a charity

I've tried to follow the "charitable airlift" discussions here over the
years and it usually makes my head hurt. I was just contacted with a
request to transport and I could really use some Usenet-level advice.
(Yeah, I've got AOPA legal services but I get better info here.)

There's a Rottweiler who was found in New Orleans and still needs an
oxygen tent. The request is to transport her to MSU from LSU. I'm
still working on justifying expending so many resources on this dog but
I might be in the area transporting another dog so I'm trying to gather
my thoughts and information.

I'd like to have the people involved pay the flight expenses. The
money doesn't need to go to me though. I'd rather see it go to one of
more of the rescue organizations I support.

I don't think this qualifies as a "charitable airlift" event. Also,
because there are no people being transported and there's no commercial
value in the cargo, it shouldn't be commercial, right? Except it is
for "compensation" (recalling the "even flight time is compensation"
threads). So what are the limits on having someone donate directly to
a charity as a result of the flight?

So far I've found this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_c..._United_States

Furthermore, donations to a charity in exchange for flight is
permitted.

Anything else I should consider? I'm a little hurried and not able to
do as much research as I'd like right now.

Thank you!

--kyler
Old October 3rd 05, 03:21 AM
Blanche

There's a 501(c)3 (non-profit) that is sort of like an Angel Flight
for dogs. Unfortunately, I don't have the website address handy. But
I would guess if you were a member (or became a member *really fast*)
then the issue of compensation is irrelevant.
Old October 3rd 05, 04:07 AM
Mike W.

Seems to me, since you are receiving no money for your time or expenses, it
doesn't really matter. If some person or organization wants to donate $1000
to an animal shelter, or Humane Society or whatever, they are free to do so.

Here is one arganization that coordinates animal transport.

http://www.flyingpaws.org

Mike

Old October 3rd 05, 09:17 PM
Kyler Laird

"Mike W." writes:

Here is one arganization that coordinates animal transport.

http://www.flyingpaws.org

Ah! I had requested information from another one quite awhile ago
but never heard back from them. Flyingpaws.org is new to me. I'll
give them a try.

Both dogs down south fell through so I won't be making a run there
now but I appreciate the info!

--kyler