Icing Airmets

Old January 28th 04, 04:46 PM
Roy Smith

ArtP wrote:
It is also my understanding that the level of icing encountered is
more complicated than a linear relationship to temperature so that
temperatures near freezing don't necessarily imply less accumulation
than lower temperatures.

In fact, just the opposite. The worst icing happens when it's just a
little below freezing, as super-cooled droplets freeze on contact with
the airplane. As you get much colder, 1) there's less total water in
the air, and 2) what's there will already be frozen, so it mostly
bounces off instead of sticking.
Old January 29th 04, 04:31 AM
Icebound

Mike Rapoport wrote:
"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
hlink.net...
| I'd like to know how you get in icing when the temperature is +5. I have
| never seen ice until the the gauge reads 0 or below.

Icing occurs when liquid water freezes on an airplane surface that is

below

freezing. The aircraft may have been cooled earlier when it flew through a
layer.

Almost. Icing occurs when a below freezing aircraft encounters supercooled
water. Supercooled water does not exist above 0C.

True, but only partially correct.

Above-freezing water will still freeze and cling to your below-freezing
airframe. In fact, the preferred migration of liquid and of
not-condensed water vapour is "from warm to cold". So moisture will
migrate to the below-freezing airframe.... you can even get a thin sheet
of ice forming in absolutely clear air, simply from the condensation of
the water vapour. (similar to your glasses fogging when you come inside
from the cold)

Until such time as the airframe finally warms up to ambient and sheds
the ice.

Old January 29th 04, 06:28 AM
Dave

Agreed , but my below freezing airframe's oat gauge will also read below 0.

"Icebound" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Old January 29th 04, 06:39 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Icebound" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

"Dave" wrote in message
hlink.net...
| I'd like to know how you get in icing when the temperature is +5. I

have
| never seen ice until the the gauge reads 0 or below.

Icing occurs when liquid water freezes on an airplane surface that is

below

freezing. The aircraft may have been cooled earlier when it flew through

layer.

Almost. Icing occurs when a below freezing aircraft encounters

supercooled
water. Supercooled water does not exist above 0C.

True, but only partially correct.

Above-freezing water will still freeze and cling to your below-freezing
airframe. In fact, the preferred migration of liquid and of
not-condensed water vapour is "from warm to cold". So moisture will
migrate to the below-freezing airframe.... you can even get a thin sheet
of ice forming in absolutely clear air, simply from the condensation of
the water vapour. (similar to your glasses fogging when you come inside
from the cold)

Until such time as the airframe finally warms up to ambient and sheds
the ice.

Which will happen before any of the theorized freezing takes place at least
at the leading edges.

Mike
MU-2

Old January 29th 04, 08:14 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
This was gleaned form talking to a Phd (meteorology) instructor,
Citation, Super Cub pilot.

Water will not freeze until it is 0 C or below.
Just because it is 0 degrees or below doesn't mean water HAS to
freeze.
There is themometer error, but there are also lower pressure areas on
the wing/airframe, and due to the lower pressure, the temperature
lowers.
It is possible to get ice when your themometer reads above zero, but
it will be zero or below where the ice is.

Water to ice state transition is statistical in nature and not always
governed by group temperature.

Old January 30th 04, 01:04 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
Any time air is accelerated, as it is when passing over a small-radius
surface, its temperature drops...so it is entirely possible to accrete

ice
when the temp is above zero.
first...OAT guage, struts, lower edge of windscreen where there is a lip
rather than a flush surface, etc. That is also why tail feathers begin

accrete ice before the wing's leading edge does.

Bob Gardner

While small radius objects do collect ice better than larger redius

objects,
temperature drop has nothing to do with it. Small radius objects have a
higher "collection efficiency" meaning more of the droplets in their path
will impact the surface. They have a higher collection efficiency because
they don't project a "bow wave" as far in front of them as larger. You

NEED
supercooled water for airframe icing.

Not exactly. Small objects and small water lead to the best conditions,
from a statistical standpoint, for gathering ice.