Zodiac XL vs Rans S-19 vs Van's RV-12

Old June 28th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Zodiac XL vs Rans S-19 vs Van's RV-12

I may have overlooked a few, but if one were looking for a kit that:

1) is light sport compliant,
2) is low wing,
3) uses tricycle gear,
4) is of metal construction,
5) built using primarily pop type rivets,
6) and has a bubble canopy,

then up until relatively recently, the Zenith Zodiac XL [1] appeared to me
to be the only choice. But the Rans Aircraft S-19 [2] kit has become
available. And Van's Aircraft is developing the RV-12 [3]. (I'm not sure
that the Sport Aircraft Works SportCruiser[4] is available as a kit, or
what type of rivets are used, otherwise I'd have included them.)

As far as I can tell, the laws of physics, legal requirements, and consumer
preferences seems to have lead three of the longer lasting homebuilt kit
plane companies to design relatively comparable planes (as these things
go).

Are there any other kit aircraft that I overlooked that match those 6
points?

[1] http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/index.html
[2] http://www.rans.com/3S19.htm
[3] http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-12int.htm
[4] http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/sportcruiser.html

Old June 29th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

[...]

www.sonexltd.com the fastest and cheapest choice.. cockpit is a bit
smaller though.

Of your above list, the it is also only 1 of 2 that is available right
now as a kit and is a proven airplane. ... The RV 12, MAYBE a year, the
rans only has computer drawings on it's website; the sportcruiser, while
I believe it is a very affordable sLSA, also has only one instance
existing as far as I can tell, and has not announced any kit plans yet.

So, your down to the same choice I had to make, Sonex (~125 flying)or
Zodiac(a whole bunch flying) or wait quite awile for the RV-12. I chose
Sonex because it was faster and cheaper, but I dont mind the smaller
cockpit.

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old June 29th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Which one has match hole construction?

Old June 30th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"flybynightkarmarepair" wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Are there any other kit aircraft that I overlooked that match those 6
points?

Sonex.

Ah! Thank you and also "ET".
Old June 30th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J.Kahn

Jim Logajan wrote:
[...]

All of Van's kits are a FAR better value than the sonex or zenith kits
as far as what you get in the box for your money. They are made from
2024T3 with completed spars etc. and are pretty much built to a
production aircraft standard. The Sonex and Zenith are from far cheaper
6061 and while they are well made kits they are simply made from much
cheaper materials and in my opinion are overpriced.

john
Old July 1st 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim Logajan wrote:
I may have overlooked a few, but if one were looking for a kit that:

1) is light sport compliant,
2) is low wing,
3) uses tricycle gear,
4) is of metal construction,
5) built using primarily pop type rivets,
6) and has a bubble canopy,

snip
Are there any other kit aircraft that I overlooked that match those 6
points?

Sonex

I was going to suggest that but it doesn't have the
bubble canopy.

--

FF

Old July 1st 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On 1 Jul 2006 10:57:59 -0700, wrote:

Think of the progression fo canapies for the P-47. The later
models were bubble.

Didn't know they served canapes on P-47, let alone fo

LSA - Zodiac CH601XL Al Home Built 11 January 12th 06 11:01 PM
Any opinions on Zodiac XL? JK Home Built 7 May 3rd 05 10:51 PM
Rans S-5 Coyote 1 Brandon Owning 2 June 2nd 04 12:21 PM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM
bulding a kitplane maybe Van's RV9A --- a good idea ????? Flightdeck Home Built 10 September 9th 03 07:20 PM