Which sport/acro biplane from plans?

Old October 3rd 03, 04:00 PM
Mr.Twistair

Default Which sport/acro biplane from plans?

A guy here who doesn't speak English asked me to investigate which aircraft
he should choose to build from plans.
What he wiches:

- single or 2-seat
- limited aerobatics
- engine M14P or Valter M332/337

I can also assume that he isn't the big-buck one. I know that this question
was discussed here some times earlier, but weold like to accumulate the
opinions.

Thanks in advance for any reliable comments and suggestions.

Fly fun!

Alex
http://twistairclub.narod.ru - Sport Rotorcraft of Russia

Old October 3rd 03, 04:41 PM
Larry Smith

"Mr.Twistair" wrote in message
A guy here who doesn't speak English asked me to investigate which

aircraft
he should choose to build from plans.
What he wiches:

- single or 2-seat
- limited aerobatics
- engine M14P or Valter M332/337

I can also assume that he isn't the big-buck one. I know that this

question
was discussed here some times earlier, but weold like to accumulate the
opinions.

Thanks in advance for any reliable comments and suggestions.

Fly fun!

Alex
http://twistairclub.narod.ru - Sport Rotorcraft of Russia

Hatz Skybolt Marquart Charger Starduster Too Acroduster Smith
Miniplane Bowers Bipe Buddy Baby Lakes et cetera Oh, and you can build
a Pietenpol Bipe too.

Old October 3rd 03, 05:11 PM
David Hill

Mr.Twistair wrote:
A guy here who doesn't speak English asked me to investigate which aircraft
he should choose to build from plans.
What he wiches:

- single or 2-seat
- limited aerobatics
- engine M14P or Valter M332/337snip

That's quite a horsepower range - M332 is 115 to 140, M337 is about 210,
M14P is up to 360.

A pair of planes that have always been interesting to me are the DR-107
One Design (single seat) and the DR-109 (two seat)
http://members.aol.com/danrihn/rac.htm. They are designed for opposed
cylinder engines, but perhaps they could be adapted to the Valter M337.

Culp Specialties http://www.culpsspecialties.com has several designs
built specifically around the M14P.

A design that might suit the Valter M332 engine is Warner Air's Space
Walker II & Revolution II http://www.warnerair.com/.

hope this helps,
--
David Hill
david at hillREMOVETHISfamily.org

Old October 3rd 03, 06:15 PM
Mr.Twistair

"David Hill" ???????/???????? ? ????????
?????????: ...

That's quite a horsepower range - M332 is 115 to 140, M337 is about 210,
M14P is up to 360.

Thanks, David, though the only biplane here is Culp (lovely aircraft anyway)
.

It may seem to be strange list of engines but the simple reason is that both
M14P and Walters are still available here for the reasonably low cash. It's
still available to find, say, never-run M332 or M337 for $3-4 K.

Cheers,

Alex

Old October 3rd 03, 08:07 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

There's always the mother of all M14P powered airplanes:

http://www.pittsmodel12.com/

Rick

Old October 4th 03, 03:31 AM
David Hill

Mr.Twistair wrote:
"David Hill" ???????/???????? ? ????????
?????????: ...

That's quite a horsepower range - M332 is 115 to 140, M337 is about 210,
M14P is up to 360.

Thanks, David, though the only biplane here is Culp (lovely aircraft anyway)
.

Oops, sorry about that. I missed the word "biplane" in the subject. doh!

Revised suggestion list:

for the M332:
The Pietenpol Aerial from St Croix Aircraft is interesting looking,
should be inexpensive to build.

For the M337:
The Great Lakes Biplane 2T-1A from Great Lakes Plans Co looks like it
fits your criteria.

It may seem to be strange list of engines but the simple reason is that both
M14P and Walters are still available here for the reasonably low cash. It's
still available to find, say, never-run M332 or M337 for $3-4 K.

Really? Hmmmmm, I wonder how much shipping one to the US would cost?

Old October 4th 03, 07:48 AM
Mr.Twistair

"David Hill" ???????/???????? ? ????????
?????????: ...

For the M337:
The Great Lakes Biplane 2T-1A from Great Lakes Plans Co looks like it
fits your criteria.

I feel it's what that guy is looking for, thanks. Failed to find who sells
the plans, still looking.

It may seem to be strange list of engines but the simple reason is that

both
M14P and Walters are still available here for the reasonably low cash.

It's
still available to find, say, never-run M332 or M337 for $3-4 K.

Really? Hmmmmm, I wonder how much shipping one to the US would cost?

I don't know exactly but it seems to be something around 6-7 bucks per 1 kg
gross weight if shipped to the other side of the Pond. I shipped abroad
something heavy only once and it was years ago, can define if interesting -
e-mail me.

Old October 4th 03, 03:05 PM
Larry Smith

"Mr.Twistair" wrote in message

"David Hill" ???????/???????? ? ????????
?????????: ...

For the M337:
The Great Lakes Biplane 2T-1A from Great Lakes Plans Co looks like it
fits your criteria.

I feel it's what that guy is looking for, thanks. Failed to find who sells
the plans, still looking.

Back in the nineties Buecker Jungmaenner showed up at Lakeland. They were
built from plans and I remember meeting the plans designer, who is now
deceased. Big stocky man. Somebody stole the socks off his prop blades.
Beautiful aeroplane, er, Flugzeug, and wouldn't that M14-P look great on the
nose! You could call it Die Schmetterling, da?

Old October 4th 03, 11:06 PM
Dave

David Hill wrote in message
For the M337:
The Great Lakes Biplane 2T-1A from Great Lakes Plans Co looks like it
fits your criteria.

Where would I find info on this one? Great Lakes Plans Co doesn't
Google for me.

I am currently leaning toward the Pitts 12 but don't really want that
high of a fuel burn rate.

Dave
N36078 '41 BC-12-65

Here's a silly question regarding plans David Hill Home Built 21 October 8th 03 04:17 AM
Fly Baby Plans Available Again Ron Wanttaja Home Built 0 August 28th 03 02:11 AM
Wanted - Long EZ and Q2 plans 1engineer Home Built 41 August 26th 03 05:31 PM
Free aircraft plans? Gil G. Home Built 0 July 23rd 03 04:18 PM
Ragwing Special Biplane Kit For Sale Rick Holland Home Built 0 July 18th 03 10:17 PM